2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

On 1/24/2019 at 9:34 AM, Outpost31 said:

I just want JJ Watt 2.0.  That's not realistic, so I'll settle for a DL who provides as good a pass rush as an EDGE.  I feel like maneuverability is really underrated for DL these days.  Watt can play virtually any position on the front 7 except for ILB, so could Donald.  That's why Allen is so intriguing to me.  He played all along that line and generated pressure from every spot, even standing up in a couple clips I've seen. 

For some strange reason it looks like Ed Oliver's stock is falling.  He's another. 

Anthony Nelson is another, later prospect I like. 

I love Daniels and Clark, but I feel like, especially with Pettine returning, somebody's gotta be a game wrecker on that DL, and I don't think that's Daniels, definitely not Clark (as good as Clark is at what he does). 

I want the Derwin James of the DL.  Whoever that is. 

JJ Watt's don't grow on trees.  6'6", 290 guys with 6.9 3 cones are almost unheard of.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:48 AM, MaryTsraining3s said:

What are people saying/thinking about Sweats bend/flexibility? Do people see a stiffness in him that's possibly concerning? I admit I have only watched highlights and his one bullrush rep in Senior Bowl practice where he planted that tackle on his backside, but i never really saw a bend and beat a lineman with speed? Built like a Danielle Hunter, not sure if his game compares to his though? More so asking questions, not stating opinions.

It's a MAJOR red flag for me.  He's so stiff in the hips it's hard to ignore.  And it's a trait I value highly in pass rushers.

On 1/24/2019 at 1:48 PM, rcon14 said:

It's tough for true FS in this setting. If you draft Adderley, you're playing him in centerfield, not as a slot CB, which is what a lot of these drills are essentially leaving him as. Senior Bowl week is just tough for true deep safeties.

Absolutely.  He's a S whose being asked to man up in coverage.  He's going to struggle.

9 hours ago, spilltray said:

I don't think old school box SS or deep field FS have all that much value as judged by the FA market. Teams are looking for S that have some level of man cover skills. 

How many true CF safeties are there in the NFL?  Maybe a handful of them.

3 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

I'm hoping the QBs start to turn heads.  Murray and Haskins blow up their private workouts and climb!  Then we could trade up to grab a difference maker (three:  Q. Williams, Bosa, J Allen)that might fall out of the top five. If you got just one of those three you could then trade down with the 30th pick to recoup some picks.  There is a lot of value 2-4 rounds.  I know that sounds counter productive, but we haven't had a playmaker on defense since CMIIIs early years.

If you really believe Josh Allen is the real deal would you be willing to include next years 1st in a deal to get him?  Does anyone else see a little bit of Mack in him?  Two number ones for the next Mack on a rookie deal for five years?

What are you willing to deal in order to move up?  Right now, there isn't a team in the top 5 that will be in the market for QBs.  You've got New York at 6, Jacksonville at 7, and Denver at 10 as the only teams inside the top 10 that realistically need a QB.  They'd need to deal #30 and/or #44 to make that kind of move up.  Arizona is taking Nick Bosa, San Francisco takes Josh Allen, New York seems poised to move down to 6/7 with New York/Jacksonville takes Dwayne Haskins.  Oakland probably takes Quinnen Williams.  There's very little chance that any of those top 3 fall out of the top 5 tbh.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

What are you willing to deal in order to move up?  Right now, there isn't a team in the top 5 that will be in the market for QBs.  You've got New York at 6, Jacksonville at 7, and Denver at 10 as the only teams inside the top 10 that realistically need a QB.  They'd need to deal #30 and/or #44 to make that kind of move up.  Arizona is taking Nick Bosa, San Francisco takes Josh Allen, New York seems poised to move down to 6/7 with New York/Jacksonville takes Dwayne Haskins.  Oakland probably takes Quinnen Williams.  There's very little chance that any of those top 3 fall out of the top 5 tbh.

I understand that.  If the QBs light it up then there is a possibility of a QB needy team to trade into the top 5 to get their guy.  Arizona needs a lot of help. San Fran will probably hold their spot. The Jets could be ready to move for the right price. Nobody knows what Gruden will do, but if he falls in love with Kyler Murphy? Just throwing stuff at the wall. Possibilities......

Last year this board thought there was no way D James or T Edwards would be there for us, but they were!  I'm willing to trade next years #1 because I believe it will be a very late pick.  I'm working on the theory that LaFluer turns it around fast with a healthy Rodgers and new outlook.  If you think Rodgers played with a chip on his shoulder before?  Now he wants to show the world that it was MM holding him back.  So I'm all in on making this the draft that turns it all around.  Starting with a blue chip defensive playmaker.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

If he made it to 30 I'd be really tempted.

It will be interesting to see where Metcalf goes. I’d definitely be down at 30. He legitimately has like top wr in the league Dez/AJ Green potential (size, speed, separation, quickness). Neck injuries are scary though. The extra 15% bust rate will scare teams away.

I’ve seen some hate vs Sweat on here. I haven’t followed him closely enough yet to have an opinion but to say not everyone agrees would be an understatement. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001012729/article/senior-bowl-notebook-day-1-montez-sweat-rising-into-top-10

Montez Sweat, edge, Mississippi State: Sweat annihilated everyone he matched up against today during the South team practice. He's going to end up being picked in the top 10, and his performance on Tuesday demonstrates why he's going to be selected so early.

The former Mississippi State star showed that he has developed a few different moves with his hands, and he also showed some variety in how he rushed guys. The bottom line is he used his length to defeat blockers in pass protection on a consistent basis. He's 6-foot-6, 252 pounds with 35 5/8-inch arms. That's a big deal to NFL teams. Everyone knows he's going to grow into his frame like Danielle Hunter did coming out of LSU, and that's my player comp for him. Hunter wasn't a first-round pick -- he went in the third round -- but Sweat is going to be a first-rounder because teams are going to be quicker to recognize his talent than they were with Hunter.

Sweat was the most dominant guy out here on Day 1. If you had him as a late first-rounder, you need to go back and reassess your grade for him. I projected him for the late teens in Round 1 coming into this week, but that might be too low for him. -- Lance Zierlein

MEDIA SESSION NOTES: What we learned about potential top-10 pick Montez Sweat and more

Sweat turning up the heat: Mississippi State DE Montez Sweat wasted no time establishing himself as one of the elite Senior Bowl talents at Tuesday's opening practice, but it came as no surprise to Johnathan Abram. The MSU safety is not practicing this week due to an injury, but has been taking part in Senior Bowl activities off the field. He said his former teammate became an entirely different player as a junior in 2017.

"It wasn't coaching a thing, it wasn't anything with him. It was just the one time he got a sack, it took off from there. He knew how to get to the quarterback," Abrams said. "That's just something he does very well. I challenged him. I said 'Take it to the next step. Don't just sack the quarterback. Force a fumble, make a turnover, change the game.' That's one thing he's been emphasizing."

Alabama State offensive tackle Tytus Howard took notice of Sweat in practice on Tuesday. There is a belief among NFL scouts that Howard will be a top performer among offensive linemen at the NFL Scouting Combine next month, and he used that athleticism to split two one-on-one reps against Sweat in practice. 

"They're all good, but the best one I had competition with was (Sweat). I beat him our first rep of one-on-ones, then he beat me the second rep," Howard said. "I'm looking forward to going at it again. ... I'm not satisfied with losing. I don't want to be 1-1 with him. I want to be 2-1, 3-1. I want to have the upper hand. He has some pretty nice moves. He's a tall, long guy. You can't hesitate with him, and I feel like I did that the second rep with him. The first rep I came to him, the second, I hesitated. I need to strike first." 

A good showing this week against Sweat, who has the look of an early first-round pick, would certainly raise Howard's profile. -- Chase Goodbread

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001012985/article/senior-bowl-notebook-day-2-shades-of-darius-leonard-in-lb

24 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Replace the running back in the 2nd round with another "pick of need" ... safety, wr, ol, dl and I actually don't think it's all that bad. 

I think I anticipate us dealing with safety and WR in free agency. I wouldn’t be mad at this draft, but I don’t think Hodge or Moreland last that long.

Archived