2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

38 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

1A Simmons

1B Burns

2.Thompson 

unlikely Thompson falls that far into the second but stranger things have happened 

If he doesn’t, I’m still hopeful one of those skill position guys will make it to 44.

Love the first two but was not impressed with Thompson whatsoever this year. Great athlete no football instincts. I'd love for one of the Iowa TE's to be in that spot at 44, prefer Hockenson. 

16 hours ago, Lodestar said:

When you put it like that, it makes a lot of sense. Would you move Burks outside? 

Yes. Although I don’t/didn’t see Burks as a 3rd rounder or ever being more than a rotational coverage piece. His health improving along with that year of experience has me optimistic. I don’t see him ever being a starter caliber player in any defense but his athleticism gives me hope. He’s played a lot of different spots but always somewhere his athleticism can show. I think that’s the outside in a 43 on the professional level. 

7 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

No. That is a multi-year transition and not something I'm interested in doing during the twilight of Rodger's era and a DC who's had success in the 3-4.

Disagree it would take multiple years. They have the correct mold of players to make the switch tomorrow. Pettine seems to have a pretty well rounded front 7. It’s not about Clay and Perry getting home like it was under Dom. Nor are 43 and 34 that different to begin with. I just feel the players we have, particularly Perry and Daniels, our two highest paid defensive players, would be more productive in a 43.

Here's Pettine on the topic and he says all the discussion over 3-4 vs 4-3 has gone by the wayside in the modern NFL

Starts at about the 1:50 mark answering a question from Wilde.

Wilde also wrote this in the accompanying article

"Pettine’s scheme, which can morph from a 4-3 to a 3-4 from one play to the next, likely will have the Packers in their nickel and dime sub packages much of the time and is predicated on creating one-on-one pass-rushing opportunities for its best rushers "

44 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Disagree it would take multiple years. They have the correct mold of players to make the switch tomorrow. Pettine seems to have a pretty well rounded front 7. It’s not about Clay and Perry getting home like it was under Dom. Nor are 43 and 34 that different to begin with. I just feel the players we have, particularly Perry and Daniels, our two highest paid defensive players, would be more productive in a 43.

So switch your defense  to base it on an underperforming, overpaid, and constantly injured Perry and 30 year old DT with one year left on his contract l? One of which, Perry, may get cut this off season. Seems brilliant.

16 hours ago, Golfman said:

Love the first two but was not impressed with Thompson whatsoever this year. Great athlete no football instincts. I'd love for one of the Iowa TE's to be in that spot at 44, prefer Hockenson. 

I think Thompson is a work in progress.  Terrifies me.  While I think his ceiling may be high, his floor is very low, too.  

I'm starting to really like that Florida safety...Gardener-Johnson.  Seems like he understands how to cover space better.  

Adderly is up there for me, too.  I'm probably a hard pass on Thompson and looking more at those other two a little later in the draft.

I want one of those big DT's at 12.  A really good one might fall.  Strongest group in the draft.  Go edge or OT at 30.  We need to pluck a few S in this draft.  For some reason not a valued position.  Whole group needs to be remade.  Bet they bring back Tramon just because of the lack of experience.  Possible FA as well.

Archived