2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

So I’ve watched all I’m going to watch of Jachai Polite. Georgia. Vandy. LSU. Alabama. Michigan. Tennessee.

Strengths: Constantly has his head up looking for the ball. Plays the read option correctly, consistently. Knows which gap is the right one to attack. Keeps contain appropriately. Gets his hands in pass lanes when beaten. Burst is capable of getting around Tackles with bad movement skill. Knows how to slash at QBs as he runs his arch, resulting in fumbles. Dips his shoulder effectively. Will flash a spin move as a counter. Smart player.

Weaknesses: Lack of size frequently shows up. He’s pushed back off the snap fairly often in run situations. Once blocked, stays blocked too often in pass rush rather than going to a counter move. Can go quiet for long periods. Not someone you count on for hussle. Short sighted in coverage.

Overall, I’m not really understanding why anyone would consider Polite at 12th overall. I don’t see a player who’s going to be regularly effective in pass rush at the NFL level. I see a guy with a burst that can beat lesser athletes and eyes to follow the ball but otherwise lacks a clear trait that will lead to success in the NFL. Power is average. Speed is above average. CoD is above average. Doesn’t lumber in coverage but QBs can move him where they want with their eyes. Combine numbers will decide whether he falls in the category of 2nd or 3rd round for me, as Polite’s ceiling is a 2nd fiddle pass rusher but his floor is a bust for me.

11 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

So I’ve watched all I’m going to watch of Jachai Polite. Georgia. Vandy. LSU. Alabama. Michigan. Tennessee.

Strengths: Constantly has his head up looking for the ball. Plays the read option correctly, consistently. Knows which gap is the right one to attack. Keeps contain appropriately. Gets his hands in pass lanes when beaten. Burst is capable of getting around Tackles with bad movement skill. Knows how to slash at QBs as he runs his arch, resulting in fumbles. Dips his shoulder effectively. Will flash a spin move as a counter. Smart player.

Weaknesses: Lack of size frequently shows up. He’s pushed back off the snap fairly often in run situations. Once blocked, stays blocked too often in pass rush rather than going to a counter move. Can go quiet for long periods. Not someone you count on for hussle. Short sighted in coverage.

Overall, I’m not really understanding why anyone would consider Polite at 12th overall. I don’t see a player who’s going to be regularly effective in pass rush at the NFL level. I see a guy with a burst that can beat lesser athletes and eyes to follow the ball but otherwise lacks a clear trait that will lead to success in the NFL. Power is average. Speed is above average. CoD is above average. Doesn’t lumber in coverage but QBs can move him where they want with their eyes. Combine numbers will decide whether he falls in the category of 2nd or 3rd round for me, as Polite’s ceiling is a 2nd fiddle pass rusher but his floor is a bust for me.

Not a bad take on him. Is he similar to Dee Ford? 

17 minutes ago, Lieker said:

Not a bad take on him. Is he similar to Dee Ford? 

I don’t remember Ford’s tape coming out other than that I wasn’t high on him either. But I remember Ford’s combine and postseason performances put him in the first round. I don’t know how Polite will test out but I don’t think it will be a performance that has us considering him at 12. I see limited suitors as well, as he isn’t a 43 DE for me. So the question for us is if he is there later on would we take him? And the answer to that right now, while I’m still figuring out a pecking order on these Edge guys, is no. But the value of a player is to some degree impacted by the market, and Edge Prospects are 2nd only to QBs in the hierarchy of positions, and you play twice as many per snap.

36 minutes ago, 66fan said:

Jamaal Reynolds always comes to my mind because of his height, but he could be Elvis Dumerville too.

I'm a Gator fan, so I know Polite... He has a lot more heart than Reynolds ever showed in GB. He's also taller than Dumerville.

Saying that, I don't want the Packers taking him at #12... Not sure how his skill set translates to the NFL.

7 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

TLDR Last year we were run thin with all of the departures. Gute promoted Jon-Eric Sullivan, Matt Malaspina, and Sam Seale and he feels like the scout department is hitting on all cylinders now. Area scouts look at everyone while those three are looking at top prospects. They’re responsible for building character dossiers. Gute spent Monday’s and Tuesday’s in GB throughout the season, then Wednesday and Thursday on the road, then Saturday going to college football games in cities GB was playing at. Milt is fitting right in and was at the senior bowl with the staff. Starting next week they’re doing annual draft meetings and hammering out their draft boards before the combine.

My latest mock from walkthemock.com for GB via Default ranking

1:12 - DL Ed Oliver, Houston 
1:30 - FS Nasir Adderley, Delaware 
2:12 - EDGE Austin Bryant, Clemson 
3:11 - G Michael Deiter, Wisconsin 
4:12 - TE Caleb Wilson, UCLA 
4:16 - SS Chase Hansen, Utah 
5:12 - EDGE Porter Gustin, Southern Cal 
6:12 - OT Mitch Hyatt, Clemson 
6:20 - RB Benny Snell Jr., Kentucky 
7:12 - WR Penny Hart, Georgia St. 

41 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Excellllllent. Sets up nicely for us if we want to trade back a few spots for a QB-needy team who wants to jump ahead of Miami (assuming they don't go QB in FA). 

I could see somebody like Jacksonville going and getting him and it being a wash since many thought they would go QB. Now he and Fowles are on the market so that could change a few teams plans QB wise. 

On 1/31/2019 at 9:45 PM, ChaRisMa said:

Not a horrible take overall but that part I definitely disagree with. He plays his butt off.

11 minutes ago, gopackgo27 said:

Not a horrible take overall but that part I definitely disagree with. He plays his butt off.

If the action is opposite side of the field he will shut it down. Not a guy you see running into the frame at the end of plays much. Not necessarily problematic traits, but I hate seeing players initiate contact like its a thud drill in practice and then turn off.

Just now, ChaRisMa said:

If the action is opposite side of the field he will shut it down. Not a guy you see running into the frame at the end of plays much. Not necessarily problematic traits, but I hate seeing players initiate contact like its a thud drill in practice and then turn off.

Agree to disagree my friend.

In reviewing various draft analysis of EDGE rushers projected to go in the 1st Round, I've seen some experts say that Clelin Ferrell is strictly a 4-3 DE. Is this an accurate assessment of the type of player he is? If he were to fall to 12, is he someone that we consider passing on because of the limitations he has on the EDGE or can he succeed without having his hand in the dirt?  Given the questions surrounding Ferrell and Polite, does Brian Burns become the better prospect given our defensive scheme? I tend to see Burns fall into the next tier of EDGE rushers down when compared with Ferrell, Polite, and even Sweat but in comparing notes its hard to find something not to like with Burns. Thoughts?

Archived