2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

58 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Tony Pauline (Draftanalyst.com), reviewing the Senior Bowl scoffed at Montez Sweat being first round quality.

(He said) while he did flash sometimes, he also got dominated plenty. His (Pauline's) thinking was that he was a very good college player who would have a much tougher time in the NFL. He had him as a high-ish 2nd rounder

Ugh. F it. Trade up and get Josh Allen.

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Tony Pauline (Draftanalyst.com), reviewing the Senior Bowl scoffed at Montez Sweat being first round quality.

(He said) while he did flash sometimes, he also got dominated plenty. His (Pauline's) thinking was that he was a very good college player who would have a much tougher time in the NFL. He had him as a high-ish 2nd rounder

I'd rather have his teammate, Simmons at 12 and him at 30 or Hockenson at 30 right now. 

13 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Ugh. F it. Trade up and get Josh Allen.

That is why I'm gonna love this draft.  With the ammunition GB has...they can move up.  Unsure if they would be willing to go up as high as to get Allen, but if he falls a little....

So many scenarios.  It'll make for a fun draft to watch.

Simmons>Sweat

There are a couple things to ponder with this draft at this point. Pettine likes to free up his EDGE guys by using his DL to create pressure. There are plenty of DL in this class to do just that. Drafttek has 7 guys with a 1st round grade. There's no reason why we can't get someone like Christian Wilkins at 12, maybe trade down from 30 into the 2nd and get Jaylon Ferguson or Irv Smith Jr. and still upgrade at EDGE on Day 2. 

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I heard that too on the LockedonDraft Pod a few weeks back.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

There are a couple things to ponder with this draft at this point. Pettine likes to free up his EDGE guys by using his DL to create pressure. There are plenty of DL in this class to do just that. Drafttek has 7 guys with a 1st round grade. There's no reason why we can't get someone like Christian Wilkins at 12, maybe trade down from 30 into the 2nd and get Jaylon Ferguson or Irv Smith Jr. and still upgrade at EDGE on Day 2. 

I like that train of thought...but when it is all said and done, I feel like Ferguson goes in the first.  Combine is key for him.  Production is certainly there.  I really like him.  Great power and great frame.  Little stiff, though, bend isn't the best.  But man, he can get to the QB.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

That is why I'm gonna love this draft.  With the ammunition GB has...they can move up.  Unsure if they would be willing to go up as high as to get Allen, but if he falls a little....

So many scenarios.  It'll make for a fun draft to watch.

Simmons>Sweat

I'm hoping the QBs start to turn heads.  Murray and Haskins blow up their private workouts and climb!  Then we could trade up to grab a difference maker (three:  Q. Williams, Bosa, J Allen)that might fall out of the top five. If you got just one of those three you could then trade down with the 30th pick to recoup some picks.  There is a lot of value 2-4 rounds.  I know that sounds counter productive, but we haven't had a playmaker on defense since CMIIIs early years.

If you really believe Josh Allen is the real deal would you be willing to include next years 1st in a deal to get him?  Does anyone else see a little bit of Mack in him?  Two number ones for the next Mack on a rookie deal for five years?

28 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I'm hoping the QBs start to turn heads.  Murray and Haskins blow up their private workouts and climb!  Then we could trade up to grab a difference maker (three:  Q. Williams, Bosa, J Allen)that might fall out of the top five. If you got just one of those three you could then trade down with the 30th pick to recoup some picks.  There is a lot of value 2-4 rounds.  I know that sounds counter productive, but we haven't had a playmaker on defense since CMIIIs early years.

If you really believe Josh Allen is the real deal would you be willing to include next years 1st in a deal to get him?  Does anyone else see a little bit of Mack in him?  Two number ones for the next Mack on a rookie deal for five years?

I don't give up next year's pick.  You don't know where it will be and GB has many needs.

I may...may...part with that second first, though.  If the idea is to obtain a "Mack type player" then go get him.  Problem is...not many Macks out there.

Bosa...for sure.  He checks all the boxes.  And he shouldn't be falling to where we would get him even by trading that second first round pick.

Allen?  I don't see the Mack type power there.  I do see an unreal frame, great arms, speed, bend and agility.  To me, the only criticism I would have of Allen is physicality.  I don't feel like he is a physical/power player.  Mack is...along with that speed, bend...etc.  And...please don't rip me a new one about Allen, it is my only criticism and it is based on only watching high highlights, which never ever tell the whole story.

That being said...I would give up both of those firsts for Allen.  Easily.

I'd probably even give up a third if it meant moving up some to secure Ferrell.  But I'm higher on Ferrell than most.

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

agree with this although I wouldn’t even touch him in the 2nd rd either

At first thought I was on the Ferrell bandwagon at #12, however the more I look he reminds me of Vonnie Holliday, just a solid player in the NFL, not because they are the same type of player but neither are difference makers. Really struggling with the #12 pick. At #12 I see Gutey choosing Simmons/Oliver/Gary, none of those thrill me, but #12 is a tough spot this year. At this point I would hope for a trade back with a QB needy team (Skins/Dolphins) and end up with any combination of Wilkins/Risner/Hockenson/Ferguson/Sweat with our two 1's. Really liked what I saw and read about Deebo Samuel at the SB, could be a great addition, is #44 too early for him? I think we could use some more help at WR, I am not as high on the rookie WR's from last year and believe we could do better.

2 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Slow your roll there a bit! I don't see a Mack type of talent there. I think he's going to be good, very good, but Mack is generational type of guy. I'd be happy if we got Allen and he turned out to be something like Clowney or Dee Ford. 

I'm having a hard time trading up for Allen if it means giving up 30 or 44. I think it is too rich and believe there is going to be a very good player sitting there. There might be a trade down situation with the Redskins looking for a QB where we could get their 2nd if they are desperate enough. We might still snag Polite at 15 in that scenario. 

On 1/24/2019 at 3:18 AM, OneTwoSixFive said:

Assuming four edge guys are gone, if S Thompson, OT Little, TE Fant, CB Murphy and even LB Devin White and OT Williams are there with say, Polite and Sweat, which one is the best value for the Packers ?   If you drop a little on your board to get an edge rusher, how deep do you dive before you are hurting your franchise by leaving better ranked guys on the board. Unless Gute is a lot more open than TT about the draft process, I guess we will never get any clues as to how his 2019 board stacked up, so it will all be pure speculation on what their board rankings were.

If you think Jonah Williams is a tackle at the next level, he's the easy pick.  Then you probably get into Byron Murphy (if he's the top corner), Devin White, and/or your preference of EDGE (Polite/Sweat) is probably the next tier.

On 1/24/2019 at 7:47 AM, Fl0nkerton said:

I'm also curious to see what everyone's big boards look like.

I know it's kind of a lot of work, but maybe post combine I could make a thread for it if anyone else would be willing to contribute. I think it would be cool.

Give me at least a month or so after the Combine, and I'll probably get it done.

Archived