2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

I wonder how high Winovich goes now? He was getting round 2-3 buzz and was really likeable. Now he had a really good workout. His frame still is less than ideal, but still not too shabby. I’d definitely take him round 2, wouldn’t be shocked if he sneaks into the back end of r1

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I was fine with the idea of taking Ferrell at #12 a week ago, and I'm still fine with that idea today.  With the impressive combine numbers being posted by other edge players while Ferrell's are relatively meh, it now seems more than reasonable to think he could be there when GB is on the clock.

True, I didn't like the high stepping he did running down the sideline after a drill though... your not Deion dude.

54 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I wonder how high Winovich goes now? He was getting round 2-3 buzz and was really likeable. Now he had a really good workout. His frame still is less than ideal, but still not too shabby. I’d definitely take him round 2, wouldn’t be shocked if he sneaks into the back end of r1

I don't think round one. Reminds me of what happened with Hubbard last year after his 3 cone and people thought he'd go at the back of round 1. Problem is, I think he presents minimal value for 4-3 teams because he's not an end and his likely position would probably be SAM, which doesn't hold a ton of positional importance. What is he in a 3-4? An olb?  Maybe the thought is he can be tj watt, but he's not nearly the athlete or as explosive. The comp someone offered in the draft forum was Brooks Reed and they do profile similarly in some regards, and Reed went in the top of round 2. 

It's possible he goes in round one, but I feel the more realistic range would be 45-50. 

RE: being resigned to Ferrell as a worst case scenario, is it conceivable that he goes higher than some of the edge guys we like since he's very much a traditional even front DE who is much worse from a 2 point stance in space?  Precisely the opposite of some guys like Allen,  Burns, and Sweat?  Like IIRC, Raiders, Bucs, Giants, Jags, Lions, and Bengals all prefer an even front- which is more than half of the teams ahead of GB.

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I was fine with the idea of taking Ferrell at #12 a week ago, and I'm still fine with that idea today.  With the impressive combine numbers being posted by other edge players while Ferrell's are relatively meh, it now seems more than reasonable to think he could be there when GB is on the clock.

So our best play at 12 is to select the "relatively meh" guy at a position of need as opposed to drafting a "relatively holy ****" guy at a different position? :)

53 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

RE: being resigned to Ferrell as a worst case scenario, is it conceivable that he goes higher than some of the edge guys we like since he's very much a traditional even front DE who is much worse from a 2 point stance in space?  Precisely the opposite of some guys like Allen,  Burns, and Sweat?  Like IIRC, Raiders, Bucs, Giants, Jags, Lions, and Bengals all prefer an even front- which is more than half of the teams ahead of GB.

Ferrell has clearly been jumped by Montez Sweat based on his production and his combine numbers.  You can probably include Brian Burns in that list as well, since he tested so well at 240+.  Nick Bosa and Josh Allen were clearly ahead of all of them to begin with.  Wouldn't surprise me if Rashan Gary ended up jumping him.  Plus, Clemson DE's haven't really transitioned well to the NFL.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

So our best play at 12 is to select the "relatively meh" guy at a position of need as opposed to drafting a "relatively holy ****" guy at a different position? :)

Ferrell isnt meh, he said his combine was meh. Nobody is calling him meh when he steps on the field

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Ferrell has clearly been jumped by Montez Sweat based on his production and his combine numbers.  You can probably include Brian Burns in that list as well, since he tested so well at 240+.  Nick Bosa and Josh Allen were clearly ahead of all of them to begin with.  Wouldn't surprise me if Rashan Gary ended up jumping him.  Plus, Clemson DE's haven't really transitioned well to the NFL.

I'm firmly on the Ferrell bandwagon, but all of this is correct.

I still feel like Ferrell's floor is better than Sweat and Burns' floor.  And Ferrell's ceiling isn't close to the ceiling for Sweat or Burns.

I'm more for Burns than Sweat right now, but dang that combine was impressive for Sweat.  I didn't see much of his speed or bend on tape, though.  With the right coaching, it is hard to pass on Sweat if he is there.  Just an ideal frame and athletic traits.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I'm firmly on the Ferrell bandwagon, but all of this is correct.

I still feel like Ferrell's floor is better than Sweat and Burns' floor.  And Ferrell's ceiling isn't close to the ceiling for Sweat or Burns.

I'm more for Burns than Sweat right now, but dang that combine was impressive for Sweat.  I didn't see much of his speed or bend on tape, though.  With the right coaching, it is hard to pass on Sweat if he is there.  Just an ideal frame and athletic traits.

Man no kidding. I'm firmly on the Burns or bust bandwagon now. I wouldn't be disappointed in Sweat either.

8 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Man no kidding. I'm firmly on the Burns or bust bandwagon now. I wouldn't be disappointed in Sweat either.

#12 is setting up nicely for EDGE now.  If Ferrell is now a "fall back" option, that's a great option to have!

Prior to Senior Bowl and combine, no way would I look at Sweat at #12.  Now?  Different story.  I just wish I had seen more of that speed and bend on tape.  

Going to cross my fingers in the hopes that Allen slides just a little, enough to get Gute interested.  To be fair, he shouldn't slide, but a guy can hope.

Archived