2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

Just now, JBURGE said:

I think an elite TE is more valuable than an elite WR, for what that's worth. 

I'm starting to agree with that, but it would have to be Kelce/Gronkowski elite.  If it's an elite blocker, moderate receiving talent, I'd go WR first. 

Elite receiving TE, moderate blocker
Elite receiver
Elite blocking TE, moderate receiving threat

40 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm starting to agree with that, but it would have to be Kelce/Gronkowski elite.  If it's an elite blocker, moderate receiving talent, I'd go WR first. 

Elite receiving TE, moderate blocker
Elite receiver
Elite blocking TE, moderate receiving threat

Yet you value RB? This seems like a contradiction because when we speak to a TE's blocking ability, it seems more geared towards the run game. 

2 hours ago, hitnhope said:

I really have to question The Draft Network ratings at edge..

I don't know how they could have Burns ahead of Bosa.  He should be behind Allen as well.    Burns constantly watches others chase on the film I have watched.   Bosa is a flat out stud.     Allen brings it stronger and more consistently while also being an exceptional physical talent.

I am surprised, but feel less strong about Ferrell.  Don't see him ahead of Allen either, and would probably put him behind Sweat as well.   Ferrell had the advantage of have 2 studs and a solid player on the same line.  It was impossible for other teams to give him the attention they gave to the other really good edge players who didn't have similar help.

There's a good podcast at CHTV today where Joe Marino / TDN discusses the IDL/EDGE players. As Bosa has always been slated to be long gone by time GB selects at 12, I've not paid him much attention. Will when we play against him.

Marino thinks Burns would A). likely be there at 12 - and - B). would fit GBs D because of his rushing skills coupled with his abilities to stand up and move in space. (4 min mark)

Just now, Golfman said:

Yet you value RB? This seems like a contradiction because when we speak to a TE's blocking ability, it seems more geared towards the run game. 

I don't personally value a RB.  I never said I did.  However, if you see prime Adrian Peterson versus prime Travis Kelce, that prime Adrian Peterson does more for you than prime Travis Kelce.  They're dual threats.  Ezekiel Elliot just had 2,000 yards.  Barkley just had 2,000 yards.  When was the last time a TE had 2,000 yards in a season? 

I don't hate the tight end position.  If you or anybody thinks a TE is worth 12th overall, you're out of your mind, and this entire century proves that. 

Look back on that list and tell me one single TE that was worth 23rd overall or higher.  Just one.  Then tell me there are no running backs that were worth 23rd overall or higher. 

16 minutes ago, Leader said:

There's a good podcast at CHTV today where Joe Marino / TDN discusses the IDL/EDGE players. As Bosa has always been slated to be long gone by time GB selects at 12, I've not paid him much attention. Will when we play against him.

Marino thinks Burns would A). likely be there at 12 - and - B). would fit GBs D because of his rushing skills coupled with his abilities to stand up and move in space. (4 min mark)

Here you guys go:

https://m.cheeseheadtv.com/blog/pack-a-day-podcast-episode-247-special-guest-joe-marino-part-2-542

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Day 3 for Jachai?

Yeah, and even then, you gotta figure out a lot of stuff in interviews.

Such a disappointing pre-draft process from someone I really liked. He's obviously much more athletic than he's shown, but just some atrocious advising and there have to be real questions about his attitude and general aptitude after this.

I really wonder if Polite is legitimately injured but has to fight against "attitude concerns" so "refusing to work out at his pro day" would be a bad decision because it would reinforce "he's hard to work with."  His tape is good enough that it's probably worth one of your 30 team visits to figure out what's going on, if you don't already know.

Since he plays like an explosive bendy agile guy, he just has not tested like one.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

The Draft Network

Top 10 IDL - 3/27/19

1. Quinnen Williams - Alabama
2. Ed Oliver - Houston
3. Christian Wilkins - Clemson
4. Rashan Gary - Michigan
5. Jeffery Simmons - Mississippi State
6. Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
7. Jerry Tillery - Notre Dame
8. Dre'Mont Jones - Ohio State
9. Daniel Wise - Kansas
10. Dontavius Russell - Auburn

Top 10 EDGE - 3/24/19

1. Brian Burns - Florida State
2. Nick Bosa - Ohio State
3. Clelin Ferrell - Clemson
4. Josh Allen - Kentucky
5. Montez Sweat - Mississippi State
6. Chase Winovich - Michigan
7. Charles Omenihu - Texas
8. Jachai Polite - Florida
9. Ben Banogu - TCU
10. L.J. Collier - TCU

I'm really hoping Gary slips. He just needs development. Move him to 5 tech.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not touching Polite or Ferguson until the 6th. Unless I bring them in for a visit and grow comfortable enough to use a 3-4th.

I loved Polite, but even with an interview I'm comfortable with I'm probably still waiting til the 5th.

7 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

If you listen to that CHTV podcast, Marino cites him as a potential "drop" - if I remember, he cited his lack of production versus his acclaim coming in. Nothing too technical about his game....just that he may be getting overrated as a top 10 selection.

1 minute ago, JaireAlex said:

It's problematic however when teams aren't using the 5-tech much anymore. In a nickel package (which is actually base in the modern NFL), 5-tech is virtually never used. The only way you would use it is with an under front, which essentially would turn the nickel into a weird 5-man front that would be a really bold alignment in most situations. So you'd be drafting a guy you'd only be able to optimize in a small number of situations.

Last year, GB faced a personnel package typically reserved for a 3-4 (i.e. two or fewer WRs) on only 19% of snaps per Sharp Football Stats: https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency--def-.html

Nickel is the new base and if you can't fall into the classic 1/3/EDGE spot, it's tough to find a spot for you on the defensive front.

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not touching Polite or Ferguson until the 6th. Unless I bring them in for a visit and grow comfortable enough to use a 3-4th.

depending on how the first 3-4 rounds shake out i could see 5th or further down. Now if we trade 6 and 7 round picks to move back up well than it's a no go. But yeah these guys are not in our plans early that's for sure.

Archived