2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:
1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

I think an elite TE is more valuable than an elite WR, for what that's worth. 

I'm starting to agree with that, but it would have to be Kelce/Gronkowski elite.  If it's an elite blocker, moderate receiving talent, I'd go WR first. 

Elite receiving TE, moderate blocker
Elite receiver
Elite blocking TE, moderate receiving threat

There were 2-3 elite TEs in the NFL last year, Kelce Ertz and Kittle. Gronk was over the hump. I would say there are 4 elite WRs, Antonio, Julio, Odell and Hopkins. I would rather have one of the tight ends, opens up more match-up scenarios imo

53 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Yet you value RB? This seems like a contradiction because when we speak to a TE's blocking ability, it seems more geared towards the run game. 

I don't get this argument. Everyone values elite players at every position, it's just where are you willing to draft that position to get elite level talent based on success rates and average draft position

1 minute ago, JBURGE said:

I don't get this argument. Everyone values elite players at every position, it's just where are you willing to draft that position to get elite level talent based on success rates and average draft position

(whispers) I don't value elite players at RB like at all.

2 minutes ago, rcon14 said:
4 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

(whispers) I don't value elite players at RB like at all.

I know. You said you would take a Saquon Barkley level talent in the 3rd round, which is a little ridiculous, and I don't think I will ever forget that lmao

Just now, JBURGE said:

I know. You said you would take a Saquon Barkley level talent in the 3rd round, which is a little ridiculous, and I don't think I will ever forget that lmao

History will be vindicating to the "RBs don't matter" stans

13 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

There were 2-3 elite TEs in the NFL last year, Kelce Ertz and Kittle. Gronk was over the hump. I would say there are 4 elite WRs, Antonio, Julio, Odell and Hopkins. I would rather have one of the tight ends, opens up more match-up scenarios imo

We may not have an elite talent at 12.

I think Harry>Hock and would be ok with either after 20. Otherwise Warring or Moreau in 3 and a WR round 5, just cuz there are not a lot of TEs in the draft and this one is deep at TE and WR. I don't see another Round 1 or 2 GB receiver. Harry would be better than any TE in this draft and blocks better than most already.

Richard Rodgers is the best or second best TE from his draft. We want something better than him I think and this draft has some depth.

6 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Since you listed only 3 TE's versus 4 WR's - I'll throw Odell out of the mix (as he was the lowest producer of the WR group)

TE's - 3876 total yards + 23 TD's
WRs- 4546 total yards + 34 TD's.

Highest TE producer: KIttle (1377yds / 5TDs)(Yardage puts him at #8 league wide)
Highest WR producer: Julio (1677yds / 8TDS) (Yardage was league leading)

In order (ranked by yardage):
Julio
Hopkins
Kittle
Kelce
Antonio
Ertz
Odell

Guess it would depend on the player....but generally, I'm taking a WR before a TE.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Since you listed only 3 TE's versus 4 WR's - I'll throw Odell out of the mix (as he was the lowest producer of the WR group)

TE's - 3876 total yards + 23 TD's
WRs- 4546 total yards + 34 TD's.

Highest TE producer: KIttle (1377yds / 5TDs)(Yardage puts him at #8 league wide)
Highest WR producer: Julio (1677yds / 8TDS) (Yardage was league leading)

In order (ranked by yardage):
Julio
Hopkins
Kittle
Kelce
Antonio
Ertz
Odell

Guess it would depend on the player....but generally, I'm taking a WR before a TE.

I was honestly waiting for you to blankly post the stats of the players. WRs produce more yards because they have more targets, doesn't mean they are more valuable to their team. 

7 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I was honestly waiting for you to blankly post the stats of the players. WRs produce more yards because they have more targets, doesn't mean they are more valuable to their team. 

As I said....I guess it would depend on the player. The data was added to your comment for context purposes.
The roles of TE's versus WR's vary greatly. WR's are tasked to run route trees / patterns faster than the wind while TEs get far more inline work and are slower. Scheme will play into it - no doubt - but today's league is a passing league and though there are a handful of truly productive TEs in that regard - the WR's carry that load.

As for who has greater value.....I guess you could say the one that has the most yards and TDs would win that contest. Usually at least.

30 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

History will be vindicating to the "RBs don't matter" stans

The market dipped that's for sure. You can win without and having an Elite RB doesn't guarantee you SB wins though either. But Elliot and Barkley are sure good players and fun to watch.

33 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

We may not have an elite talent at 12.

I think Harry>Hock and would be ok with either after 20. Otherwise Warring or Moreau in 3 and a WR round 5, just cuz there are not a lot of TEs in the draft and this one is deep at TE and WR. I don't see another Round 1 or 2 GB receiver. Harry would be better than any TE in this draft and blocks better than most already.

Richard Rodgers is the best or second best TE from his draft. We want something better than him I think and this draft has some depth.

Coming onto this website to slander Hakeem Butler, how dare ye

I went out for lunch and was able to catch an interview with Brian Burns on Sirius XM, Pro Football Channel.  I'm going to summarize the questions and his answers.

(And I found him to be very well spoken.  Witty.  Intelligent.)

Q: How's your weight?  You cutting weight, putting more on, or keeping the weight you have?

A: I'm keeping the weight on.  It is really easy.  Had a great training program to help me along.  It's good weight.

Q: What would you have run in the 40 had you stayed at 235?

A: I would have beaten Metcalf!

Q: What position do you want to play in the NFL?

A:  I'll play anywhere anyone wants me.

Q:  We aren't NFL teams here, just us talking, what position do you really want to play?

A:  (Pause)  3-4.  On the outside.

Q:  Why?  Do you just want to rush all the time?  We know it is what you do really well.

A:  I want to move around.  I don't want the defense to know where I'm coming from.  I don't want them knowing where I am going to be on every play.

Q:  Do you want to drop and cover?

A:  Absolutely!  I love to drop.  WR's aren't used to seeing guys my size running with them.  I want to get the ball and take it to the house!

Q:  What other positions have you played on the football field?

A:  When I was young, I played Center.  Scored 3 times, all on fumbles.

Q:  What do you look for or at when visiting teams?

A:  I want to get the "feel" of the building.  I want to see all the coaches and get their vibe.  I want to see who is genuine and who isn't.

Q:  What do you do for fun?....I think we have something in common there.

A:  I love the movies.  I have an AMC card, you guys know that.  

Q:  What kind of movies?

A:  Superhero movies.  I'm all about Marvel, I stay away from DC.  I just watched Capt. Marvel.  She's a BAAAAD woman.  Gonna be great to see her in Endgame.  Endgame.  3 hours and 2 minutes of non-stop adrenaline.  I can't wait!

...and that is when I got out of the car.  Just a fun interview.  There was a lot more banter there, but that was the jest of the conversation that I was listening to.  

Archived