2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

39 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Watching some Chauncey Gardner-Johnson highlights and I like what I see.

... but the guy who really stands out on a lot of these plays is Jachai Polite. 😳

I prefer his game tape to burns, sweats, garys, and ferrells

14 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Another reason to draft Butler: Adams is overrated because he might get injured.

That cracked me up.

But I am ok with any WR they take at value anywhere. Just seems no receiver in this class really quite makes a first round grade but many are just at that borderline one grade who need a lot of work. And the depth might drive down the price tag. 

. This is a bumper crop and a good draft to reload, but there's guys from 1-UDFA. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we took two somewhere. Morgan, Isabella, Renfrow, JJAW look like AR types. Butler will take a lot of work. KNeal too.

Acme Packing:

The Packers have shown more overt interest in offensive tackles than any other position in the draft by a mile. If they’re poised to take someone early, they’re likely looking for a long-term answer at right tackle.

Two cornerbacks, three wide receivers, and a future first round pick — Brian Gutekunst’s first draft as general manager of the Green Bay Packers provided gobs of sizzle. In 2019, he may be looking for the steak. With ‘pass rushers’ checked off the grocery list, the top of the Packers draft board likely looks very unsexy. That’s not a shot at 300-pound offensive linemen; after all, we don’t condone body shaming at Acme Packing Company. But an offensive tackle at 12 or 30, especially with a pass rusher like Brian Burns or a linebacker like Devin Bush still on the board, could send Cheesehead Nation into a tailspin.

I think the Packers "miss" on the 12 pick.

Hit a pro-bowler with 30.

And draft a real difference maker at 44, possibly HOFer.

"miss" = a guy that ends up playing around 10 years in the league at a productive level, but a miss because everyone expects a God at pick 12. But, fans will be unhappy because (so and so had a 3 year HOF career) they want to be so.

That said, I have no idea who these guys are at these pick. Heck, I live in Ficken Germany and it's what I like to do.

Honestly, I think there will be a lot of disappointed wannabe GM's regarding the pick at 12.

I just hope and trust the Packers get it right.

And, I am more excited about picks 30 and 44.

Okay.....took a different tact with this one.........
Decided to go OT first and see how the talent broke down from there.

TDN Mock Draft

12 - Andre Dillard, OT

BEST TRAIT - Mobility
WORST TRAIT - Functional Strength
RED FLAGS - None

Dillard’s foot speed, length, lack of functional strength and ability to win on the move make him an ideal candidate to play tackle in an inside/outside zone running scheme. Dillard enters the NFL with a ton of experience but unfortunately the Washington State scheme translates poorly to what he’ll be asked to at the next level and his learning curve is fairly steep considering the new techniques he will have to learn. I like his ceiling, particularly in pass protection, but he’s more of a developmental prospect than his physical upside and resume suggest.

30 - Hakeem Butler, WR (figured better let @incognito_man see his guy get drafted by GB at least once)  :)

BEST TRAIT – Contested Catches
WORST TRAIT – COD Skills
RED FLAGS – None

Hakeem Butler offers a promising skill set in a vertical offense. Butler has phenomenal flashes in contested situations and as a vertical receiver, but needs to add further polish to his releases against press to consistently stack defenders in the NFL. Butler lacks quickness at the top of hard angled breaks but has the size to further develop himself and create separation for himself. Look for Butler to develop through his first 3 seasons and eventually be a starting X-receiver.

44 - Nasir Adderley, S

BEST TRAIT - Zone Coverage Skills
WORST TRAIT - Man Coverage Skills
RED FLAGS - None

Nasir Adderley is the latest small school prospect to serve as a reminder that high quality football players come from every level. Adderley has high end coverage skills and tackling, making him a desirable candidate to start in a single high role on defense. His projection would pair best in a man scheme, where he is then able to focus on prowling for the football as compared to passing off coverages. Adderley has excellent anticipation and ball skills, can be an impact starter.

75 - Jace Sternberger, TE

BEST TRAIT - Contested Catch Ability
WORST TRAIT - Power at POA
RED FLAGS - None

Jace Sternberger is an excellent receiving threat from the TE position and his receiving chops should allow him to get reps early as a rookie. Sternberger has smooth breaks, soft hands, good concentration skills and enough blocking to not be considered a liability at the POA. He needs to continue to add some false breaks on his routes and really focus on his balance and lower body power as a blocker but his three year projection is favorable, can impact pass game year one. 

114 - David Montgomery, RB

BEST TRAIT - Contact Balance
WORST TRAIT - Burst

Montgomery was a dominant runner the last two seasons for Iowa State and he’s a fairly simple projection to the next level. He is powerful banger between the tackles with exceptional contact balance and functional strength. A three-down option, Montgomery is a reliable pass protector and he is sure-handed as a receiver. There are athletic restrictions that limit his upside as an outside runner and in space so expecting much in the way of dynamic big plays isn’t likely to be in the cards. Montgomery profiles as the power back in a committee that complements a more elusive runner.

118 - Ugochukwu Amadi, S

PROS: Impossibly fluid mover in space. Has excellent footwork, understanding of leverage, and technique in man and zone coverage alike. Can burst to the catch point in an instant and knows how to bait QBs into throws within his range. Not afraid of undercutting breaking routes to make big plays. From the press, has sufficient foot speed and recovery athleticism to soft-shoe with good hand usage to establish connection; not afraid of getting physical with shorter, thicker frame. Rarely worked out of the cylinder on breaks; stays connected and discourages many throws by narrowing the throwing window.

Accordingly from off-coverage, can quickly identify route breaks and concepts with eyes in backfield. Has the agility to mirror and the explosion to close, as always getting comfortable in WR's cylinder. Will overlap zones and anticipate target given drop depth and QB footwork. Downfield, has the awareness and ball skills to play through the WR to the football. Can be a bit cautious, but is generally a sound run defender. Rarely gets out-leveraged to the boundary as a force player and isn't afraid of playing downhill from overhang alignment. Reads field cleanly from box/overhang alignment; will quickly diagnose boundary plays and even direct teammates pre-snap when he gets his finger on the pulse.

35 minutes ago, Leader said:

Okay.....took a different tact with this one.........
Decided to go OT first and see how the talent broke down from there.

TDN Mock Draft

12 - Andre Dillard, OT

BEST TRAIT - Mobility
WORST TRAIT - Functional Strength
RED FLAGS - None

Dillard’s foot speed, length, lack of functional strength and ability to win on the move make him an ideal candidate to play tackle in an inside/outside zone running scheme. Dillard enters the NFL with a ton of experience but unfortunately the Washington State scheme translates poorly to what he’ll be asked to at the next level and his learning curve is fairly steep considering the new techniques he will have to learn. I like his ceiling, particularly in pass protection, but he’s more of a developmental prospect than his physical upside and resume suggest.

30 - Hakeem Butler, WR (figured better let @incognito_man see his guy get drafted by GB at least once)  :)

BEST TRAIT – Contested Catches
WORST TRAIT – COD Skills
RED FLAGS – None

Hakeem Butler offers a promising skill set in a vertical offense. Butler has phenomenal flashes in contested situations and as a vertical receiver, but needs to add further polish to his releases against press to consistently stack defenders in the NFL. Butler lacks quickness at the top of hard angled breaks but has the size to further develop himself and create separation for himself. Look for Butler to develop through his first 3 seasons and eventually be a starting X-receiver.

44 - Nasir Adderley, S

BEST TRAIT - Zone Coverage Skills
WORST TRAIT - Man Coverage Skills
RED FLAGS - None

Nasir Adderley is the latest small school prospect to serve as a reminder that high quality football players come from every level. Adderley has high end coverage skills and tackling, making him a desirable candidate to start in a single high role on defense. His projection would pair best in a man scheme, where he is then able to focus on prowling for the football as compared to passing off coverages. Adderley has excellent anticipation and ball skills, can be an impact starter.

75 - Jace Sternberger, TE

BEST TRAIT - Contested Catch Ability
WORST TRAIT - Power at POA
RED FLAGS - None

Jace Sternberger is an excellent receiving threat from the TE position and his receiving chops should allow him to get reps early as a rookie. Sternberger has smooth breaks, soft hands, good concentration skills and enough blocking to not be considered a liability at the POA. He needs to continue to add some false breaks on his routes and really focus on his balance and lower body power as a blocker but his three year projection is favorable, can impact pass game year one. 

114 - David Montgomery, RB

BEST TRAIT - Contact Balance
WORST TRAIT - Burst

Montgomery was a dominant runner the last two seasons for Iowa State and he’s a fairly simple projection to the next level. He is powerful banger between the tackles with exceptional contact balance and functional strength. A three-down option, Montgomery is a reliable pass protector and he is sure-handed as a receiver. There are athletic restrictions that limit his upside as an outside runner and in space so expecting much in the way of dynamic big plays isn’t likely to be in the cards. Montgomery profiles as the power back in a committee that complements a more elusive runner.

118 - Ugochukwu Amadi, S

PROS: Impossibly fluid mover in space. Has excellent footwork, understanding of leverage, and technique in man and zone coverage alike. Can burst to the catch point in an instant and knows how to bait QBs into throws within his range. Not afraid of undercutting breaking routes to make big plays. From the press, has sufficient foot speed and recovery athleticism to soft-shoe with good hand usage to establish connection; not afraid of getting physical with shorter, thicker frame. Rarely worked out of the cylinder on breaks; stays connected and discourages many throws by narrowing the throwing window.

Accordingly from off-coverage, can quickly identify route breaks and concepts with eyes in backfield. Has the agility to mirror and the explosion to close, as always getting comfortable in WR's cylinder. Will overlap zones and anticipate target given drop depth and QB footwork. Downfield, has the awareness and ball skills to play through the WR to the football. Can be a bit cautious, but is generally a sound run defender. Rarely gets out-leveraged to the boundary as a force player and isn't afraid of playing downhill from overhang alignment. Reads field cleanly from box/overhang alignment; will quickly diagnose boundary plays and even direct teammates pre-snap when he gets his finger on the pulse.

Like a double dip at safety but we must have a higher up draft pick on the DL/Edge somewhere.  Wouldn't mind Polite at 30 or 44.

Anyone hear the stick to football podcast, rumor episode on Tuesday with Matt Miller and those guys?

They did rumors of every team. The packers were basically this: They want to trade down, either from 12 or 30, but they want to trade down in the first. Secondly, the belief in the league is GB is targeting either WR or TE in the first... and the ones that are bigger body. They mentioned Fant and Metcalf. They said they want to pair another large body with Adams for Rodgers. They also said GB is one of the harder teams to project this draft.

Just thought I would share.

9 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Anyone hear the stick to football podcast, rumor episode on Tuesday with Matt Miller and those guys?

They did rumors of every team. The packers were basically this: They want to trade down, either from 12 or 30, but they want to trade down in the first. Secondly, the belief in the league is GB is targeting either WR or TE in the first... and the ones that are bigger body. They mentioned Fant and Metcalf. They said they want to pair another large body with Adams for Rodgers. They also said GB is one of the harder teams to project this draft.

Just thought I would share.

I buy this...somewhat. I think they would truly consider Hock at #12, but would look for a trade down first. I think Fant is in play by the end of the round. I don't really think Metcalf is in play, but those other borderline 1st/2nd round guys are (Brown, Harry, Butler)

I think LaFleur more than anything would want his multi-dimensional TE. I think maybe Jax steps in and takes Hock first though. 

I don't think GB wants to take a TE as high as they might feel they have to really feature LaFleur and set him up for success, but you know that every GM who makes that pick will just say he was the best player on their board anyway. Glad they have that extra 1st. 

Pick the "rumor" you choose to believe. I think the "experts" have pretty much covered all the bases. I still believe no one know anything, but that doesn't get you clicks, so they are all guessing. Still the best hint (based on TT) IMO is to look at a year from now for expiring contracts / needs and go from there. There are many to choose from. That and the obvious need at safety for this season. 

17 hours ago, Leader said:

The Draft Network ratings of Safeties

1.  Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Florida   -   Round Grade: Mid 1st
2.  Deionte Thompson, Alabama   -   Round Grade: Early 2
3.  Nasir Adderley, Delaware   -   Round Grade: Early 2
4.  Juan Thornhill, Virginia   -   Round Grade: Mid 2
5.  Darnell Savage, Maryland   -   Round Grade: Mid 2
6. Amani Hooker, Iowa   -   Round Grade: Mid 2
7. Taylor Rapp, Washington   -   Round Grade: Late 2
8. Ugochukwu Amadi, Oregon   -   Round Grade: Late 2
9. Johnathan Abram, Mississippi State  -  Round Grade: Late 3
10. Mike Edwards, Kentucky  -  Round Grade: Mid 3

Take away? Have it strapped on after Round 1 cause its gonna be a wild ride at this position.

I'd burn a second for Adderly...or CGJ.  I'd happily burn our third for Savage, Hooker or Rapp.

I"m a "no" on Thornhill, Abram and Thompson.  Though I can probably be talked into Thornhill.

12 hours ago, Cadmus said:

That's far from a lock. 

Everyone knows you're the resident Allison fanatic, so I'm not going to delve deep here, but I'll just say I HOPE we don't need him to be anything close to a 1000 yard WR this season--because that'll mean both the offense and our 2nd year WRs have improved. 

I have to jump in here.  It is my chance to say this, again.

Allison isn't very good.  If he is your #4, you are pretty good.  If he is your second or third, WR, you are in trouble.  You have to find someone better than him to compliment Adams in the WR corp.  He will get a few nice plays, every now and then, because teams simply do not and will not respect him.

I've said it for a couple of years now, most vocal about it last year.  And every year I've said it, he's made me eat my words.  I have no doubt that he will do it again.  So there it is, I feel like Allison isn't very good and only makes plays because other teams simply will not respect him on the field.

Now go get it done, GMO.

Every excuse in the books can be made for a WR early, but the fact is we have 5 guys who are already locks if they don't crap the bed. 3 of the 5 were rookies last year so a big jump in productivity can reasonably be expected from those guys. With a Pro Bowler leading the way, and glaring needs elsewhere, I'm just not seeing it. 

Archived