Week 3 Gameday Thread

Johnny Nix

2 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Denver looks to be 2-1 after today, but I thought they were more unimpressive then Miami. 

Agreed. They beat two below average/bad teams at home. I was confident they weren't going to beat Baltimore today, although I was really hoping they would.

Texans looked bad today. From the opening kickoff, they didn't look ready to play. Watson was pretty erratic and the OL was bad, from pass protection to penalties. I'm glad the Giants were able to pull out a win. The offense looked like it was supposed to, finally. Barkley is a stud and Eli made me eat my words. He looked great. 

4 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Do you not think they were both bad calls on Matthews? I think the new rule is broken because they went from the old lift and plant standard, to something like "excessive" which is simply too broad.If I was Matthews, I'd be sorely tempted to start getting my fifteen yards worth...

I think we'd all agree that the rule was put in place so we didn't have a repeat of the Anthony Barr/Aaron Rodgers situation.  IF Clay makes that tackle on any other player that isn't the QB, we're talking about how he made a great fundamental tackle.  But since it's discussing the QB, it's considered "excessive" despite the fact that it was a fundamentally sound tackle.  That's the issue.  You're taking what is a fundamentally sound tackle and telling the defender that he can't do that.  That's my issue with it.  And to make matters worse, the body slam by Jonathan Allen (I believe?) wasn't called despite that being about 10x more egregious.  That's why the NFL is a joke until they show some consistency with this call.

Archived