Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

12 hours ago, 43M said:

Sounds alot like Disney over the last decade.

For the record, I agree with most of what you said.   But most of the stuff Hollywood puts out these days is already recycled and/or unimaginative garbage.   Unless they start hiring based on skill and get back to focusing on actually entertaining audiences, I think the risk of AI taking jobs becomes greater. 

The occasional hits among a sea of flops isnt sustainable.

Most studios aren't hiring writers based on how good they are or the stories they are trying to sell, they are hiring writers who need jobs and will bow to whatever garbage narrative the studios want to push. There's a reason every Sony superhero movie is exactly the same, and it isn't because of the writers, it is because of Sony. There are some studios that straight up just don't want to make good movies. It isn't the writers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Ive been seeing this AI push as a bargaining scare tactic. Like in ways you touched on. I dont think theyre capable or near ready to push that direction for a couple/few years at least. Theyre just now hiring many positions. Its going to take time. 

Bullying scare tactic. And its working. Cause neither the writers/actors have much a leg to stand on atm. A producer for Amazon was heard saying, "Let them strike until theyre homeless." Which Pearlman flipped out on and started threatening them. Showing these actors are rattled. How are they going to fight back?

Does it show he was rattled? Pearlman's reaction seemed like a genuinely normal reaction to an absolutely heartless statement made against him and his colleagues and friends.

2 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Already seeing indy comics start outselling mainstream. Rippaverse first issue had like 2m in sales, while what were the biggest sellers such as Spiderman brought 400k that month. Both DC and Marvel are having trouble even keeping storylines going due to sales. Stopping runs after 2-3 issues. Entire stories vanishing GRRM style midway, never to be finished. Complete disaster, and this is the material they pull from for the movies.

Pretty sure Isom #2 is approaching $2 mil also. 

In 2019 or 2020 Demon Slayer outsold the entire US comic industry by itself. 

4 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Most studios aren't hiring writers based on how good they are or the stories they are trying to sell, they are hiring writers who need jobs and will bow to whatever garbage narrative the studios want to push.

I 100% agree with every word of this.

4 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

There's a reason every Sony superhero movie is exactly the same, and it isn't because of the writers, it is because of Sony. There are some studios that straight up just don't want to make good movies. It isn't the writers.

I dont agree with the bolded.

There is some truth to it, I suppose, but alot of writers actively support and push for some of those "garbage narratives".  

Prime example:  The Witcher TV show.    The writers and showrunner actively mocked the source material, which caused Cavill to leave and the show is pretty much dead.

More than that, alot of the writers are absolutely talentless hacks who are hired based on nepotism and other factors beyond how good they actually are.

So while I definitely agree studios are the biggest issue, alot of Hollywood writers are just really really bad.  I wasnt exaggerating when I said you could find better writers on fanfiction sites than alot of current writers.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mox said:

Pretty sure Isom #2 is approaching $2 mil also. 

In 2019 or 2020 Demon Slayer outsold the entire US comic industry by itself. 

I dont even read comics anymore, but I bought Isom 1 to support Eric since Ive been watching him for several years and wanted to support his work.

47 minutes ago, 43M said:

I dont even read comics anymore, but I bought Isom 1 to support Eric since Ive been watching him for several years and wanted to support his work.

I didn't get it but I heard it's decent.

14 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Does it show he was rattled? Pearlman's reaction seemed like a genuinely normal reaction to an absolutely heartless statement made against him and his colleagues and friends.

I say hes rattled. He was threatening people the first week of their strike. Whole things just begun.

Same for actors like Bryan Cranston. Out publicly ranting. No substance, backing or support that has any bearings. Calling out Iger and saying what exactly? Nothing. Just out throwing a tantrum. I dont see these actions as doing any favors for the actors. Just makes them look vulnerable.

2 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I say hes rattled. He was threatening people the first week of their strike. Whole things just begun.

Same for actors like Bryan Cranston. Out publicly ranting. No substance, backing or support that has any bearings. Calling out Iger and saying what exactly? Nothing. Just out throwing a tantrum. I dont see these actions as doing any favors for the actors. Just makes them look vulnerable.

The strike means almost nothing for that upper 1% of actors. All they can do is raise awareness, not scab and financially back the vast majority below them in some way.

It’s all a narrative game. Having all this stuff exposed more than any other time it’s happened (via the internet) is helping them. Resetting the narrative that Iger and other execs are spinning is what helps. They lost a lot of public opinion the more that has become known about the AI stuff for example. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Fran said this morning 86% of the 160k SAG members make $26,500 or less.

Also said there have been zero negotiations with SAG. Studios havent tried to make contact with her yet.

Lol. No ****. Did you even read what you just said? Out of 160,000 actors and actresses, 137,000 make 26.5 K or less.

That means 26,000 actors and actresses make over 26.5 thousand.

There aren’t 10,000 actors and actresses worth 27,000.

Who in their right mind believes background actors are worth more than that when millions would be a background actor for free just to say they were in the background of a movie?

I’m not 100% for the studios or anything, but this is absurd and laughable. Considering actors and actresses don’t draw in audiences like they used to, actors and actresses should receive less, writers should get more, and studios should try something original or be charged a mundane story fee.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Lol. No ****. Did you even read what you just said? Out of 160,000 actors and actresses, 137,000 make 26.5 K or less.

Who in their right mind believes background actors are worth more than that when millions would be a background actor for free just to say they were in the background of a movie?

I’m not 100% for the studios or anything, but this is absurd and laughable. Considering actors and actresses don’t draw in audiences like they used to, actors and actresses should receive less, writers should get more, and studios should try something original or be charged a mundane story fee.

Dont know how true. But I saw something saying 70m of Haunted Mansions 150m budget went to the main cast. Several like Owen and DiVito hit the 4m mark.

The budget for the actors seems to be there. But the top 1% soak up every bit of it. Then complain theres nothing for anyone else.

Im not all for either. Cant say I give 2cent about studios or that top1% of actors. I just dont want to see anyone end up on the street and get the thousands of people it takes to make movies back to work.

9 hours ago, thrILL! said:

You can spot a person who has never tried to create anything (artistic or otherwise) and then put themselves out there to share it with the world by just how easily they dismiss creator’s rights. 

You or someone like you suggested this before. I ignored it the first time because you or someone like you came across as a whiny loser.

Well, I actually sold the literal first short spec script I wrote in film school for 500 dollars after entering it into a couple short script contests. It went unproduced, but it was a kidded down neo noire legal thriller about a kid who held a jury trial in his living room after being wrongfully grounded for something he did not do. But you're right, I didn't actually try. I just straight up got an offer for it. The difference between me and roughly 130,000 actors and actresses is I didn't have delusions of grandeur and I don't expect I should get paid for literally being a blurred out extra in the background while real talent gets paid.

I also wrote four feature length spec scripts. They're copyrighted and I submitted one of them I thought was good enough to submit, so I did. This was probably 6 or 7 years ago. It got declined obviously (otherwise I'd link you to my name in the credits and tell you to go you know). The other three are things that I enjoyed writing, but I'm realistic enough to know they're not gonna get bought. Before I went to film school, I had delusions of grandeur and thought I was the best writer in the world. I wrote a fantasy epic. Like 500 pages. I thought it was the best thing ever written. I submitted it and I remember how crushing it was to get declined by like 7 different publishers when I was 18. Instead of blaming everyone else, I decided I needed to get better, so I went to film school because I was lazy and thought spec scripts were the way to go. You could get 500 pages worth of storytelling done in 120 pages or less, with a lot of blank screen.

I'm not a fantastic writer, but I do have some talent. Especially when I'm writing stuff I don't like. I write every single day. I've gotten more into writing prose lately, so not scripts, but I have an extreme appreciation for script writing, especially the spec script format. It's a completely different challenge than writing prose fiction. It's not as easy to get meaning and feeling across. It takes a TREMENDOUS amount of talent that should very much be rewarded with more money.

I actually said right here...

actors and actresses should receive less, writers should get more, and studios should try something original or be charged a mundane story fee.

I am all for the writers. I always have been. I love writing, I love storytelling and every aspect of storytelling. I one hundred percent support creative minds who contribute to storytelling. Background actors do not contribute to storytelling and therefore they should not get paid more than what they're currently paid.

I also support realistic outlooks and hobby acting/writing. That is, writing and acting as a hobby while doing what's right to support yourself. I decided that I didn't want to be dead *** broke, so I stopped pursuing writing until I was financially secure and comfortable. I kinda let that dream die since I got a little bit too invested in my career and I haven't really tried tackling anything serious in a long, long, long time.

So to the 137,000 SAG members who think they're the next Leo De Niro Pacino Oldman superstar... I'd say get realistic, get yourself a career so you don't end up homeless in Los Angeles. Alan Rickman was 42 years old when he starred in his first movie. There's time to not be a broke wannabe if you don't expect an instant living in the industry, and if you expect an instant living in the industry, I've got some unscratched lottery tickets to sell you for just a 4th of their potential value.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MacReady said:

Totally agree, let us say in terms of big name actors who are worth following, watching, and paying money to see....that is what a few hundred and not even sure it is hundred but let us say it is.  That is .00063% of actors are great and well worth millions.

Not sure what Hollywood and film is going to do in the next few years, with all the streaming success and attention, because honestly most of the good stories in the history of the world have been told already.  They are just grabbing a anything and with comic books just take literally anything anyone has wrote and see if that can be a movie.   But it seems all they are about is an instant fan base like in comic books where you do anything about said comic and the fans will watch it regardless.  There just are not many good ideas or good films out there.

Then again maybe people still love it, apparently 922,000,000 tickets have been sold for films at freaking $10.53 a piece in 2023 for a $9.7 billion dollar box office total and was $7.4 bil last year and $4.5 bil the year before that then the $1.9 for that COVID year.  Who the hell is going to movies and enjoying this garbage I do not know, but lucky for the film industry people will pay big money to see crap.  And these are just domestic numbers, 2019 the global box office numbers was $42.3 billion, 2020 $11.5 billion (COVID), 2021 was $21.3 billion  and 2022 was $26 billion...

https://www.the-numbers.com/market/

Great for films because honestly last years Oscars were crap and year after year crap movies are nominated and someone has to win, yet people still go so what do they care about quality.  So they can produce low quality stuff and still make money so no shocker below average actors make very little.  

• Like 1