Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

3 hours ago, MacReady said:

You or someone like you suggested this before. I ignored it the first time because you or someone like you came across as a whiny loser.

Well, I actually sold the literal first short spec script I wrote in film school for 500 dollars after entering it into a couple short script contests. It went unproduced, but it was a kidded down neo noire legal thriller about a kid who held a jury trial in his living room after being wrongfully grounded for something he did not do. But you're right, I didn't actually try. I just straight up got an offer for it. The difference between me and roughly 130,000 actors and actresses is I didn't have delusions of grandeur and I don't expect I should get paid for literally being a blurred out extra in the background while real talent gets paid.

I also wrote four feature length spec scripts. They're copyrighted and I submitted one of them I thought was good enough to submit, so I did. This was probably 6 or 7 years ago. It got declined obviously (otherwise I'd link you to my name in the credits and tell you to go you know). The other three are things that I enjoyed writing, but I'm realistic enough to know they're not gonna get bought. Before I went to film school, I had delusions of grandeur and thought I was the best writer in the world. I wrote a fantasy epic. Like 500 pages. I thought it was the best thing ever written. I submitted it and I remember how crushing it was to get declined by like 7 different publishers when I was 18. Instead of blaming everyone else, I decided I needed to get better, so I went to film school because I was lazy and thought spec scripts were the way to go. You could get 500 pages worth of storytelling done in 120 pages or less, with a lot of blank screen.

I'm not a fantastic writer, but I do have some talent. Especially when I'm writing stuff I don't like. I write every single day. I've gotten more into writing prose lately, so not scripts, but I have an extreme appreciation for script writing, especially the spec script format. It's a completely different challenge than writing prose fiction. It's not as easy to get meaning and feeling across. It takes a TREMENDOUS amount of talent that should very much be rewarded with more money.

I actually said right here...

I am all for the writers. I always have been. I love writing, I love storytelling and every aspect of storytelling. I one hundred percent support creative minds who contribute to storytelling. Background actors do not contribute to storytelling and therefore they should not get paid more than what they're currently paid.

I also support realistic outlooks and hobby acting/writing. That is, writing and acting as a hobby while doing what's right to support yourself. I decided that I didn't want to be dead *** broke, so I stopped pursuing writing until I was financially secure and comfortable. I kinda let that dream die since I got a little bit too invested in my career and I haven't really tried tackling anything serious in a long, long, long time.

So to the 137,000 SAG members who think they're the next Leo De Niro Pacino Oldman superstar... I'd say get realistic, get yourself a career so you don't end up homeless in Los Angeles. Alan Rickman was 42 years old when he starred in his first movie. There's time to not be a broke wannabe if you don't expect an instant living in the industry, and if you expect an instant living in the industry, I've got some unscratched lottery tickets to sell you for just a 4th of their potential value.

What were the other stories about?

31 minutes ago, Mox said:

What were the other stories about?

The fantasy epic was something to do with a glass figurine. I think the kid got turned into a glass figurine in the real world and it transported him to a fantasy world and he was some kind of chosen one. So basically Harry Potter plagiarism, but I hated Harry Potter at the time.

The spec scripts…

One of them was about a bird watcher who lost his 10,000 dollar binoculars to a man who decided to live his life like he was Bigfoot. I got some feedback on that one and it is the one I submitted.

One of them is called Parts. I won’t say what that one’s about because it’s kinda a passion project. The Thing pastiche/homage that I still think is a story to be told. There’s something there.

Another one was called Condemned where a bunch of college kids decided to explore one of those condemned houses you see while driving through the Midwest and there was a witch in there. This one was based on a massive prank my dad fell victim to and family lore on a house we always used to drive by on fishing trips.

The fourth one is called The Sibling Accord based on a big family of like 6 or 7 kids. It kinda took the It approach and did flashbacks of them when they were kids and then as adults when they’re all attending the funeral of their eldest. When they were kids, their mom gathered them all up and crushed all their second favorite toys/items right in front of them and then lined up their favorite items and said if the fighting didn’t stop she’d destroy their favorite ones, so they all huddled together and came up with a treatise. No pulling hair, no scaring, no using such and such, only so long in the bathroom… Then, as adults, they all start noticing that the accord is being broken. I had two endings written for this. One of them it was one of the living siblings doing it to bring them back together, and one of the endings was the deceased sibling who had paid someone to start doing it in order to bring them all together again since they had all drifted apart. This one was written based on stories I gathered from my aunts and uncles after my uncle died and I injected their stories into it and it was kinda like a gift for them to read.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MacReady said:

The fantasy epic was something to do with a glass figurine. I think the kid got turned into a glass figurine in the real world and it transported him to a fantasy world and he was some kind of chosen one. So basically Harry Potter plagiarism, but I hated Harry Potter at the time.

The spec scripts…

One of them was about a bird watcher who lost his 10,000 dollar binoculars to a man who decided to live his life like he was Bigfoot. I got some feedback on that one and it is the one I submitted.

One of them is called Parts. I won’t say what that one’s about because it’s kinda a passion project. The Thing pastiche/homage that I still think is a story to be told. There’s something there.

Another one was called Condemned where a bunch of college kids decided to explore one of those condemned houses you see while driving through the Midwest and there was a witch in there. This one was based on a massive prank my dad fell victim to and family lore on a house we always used to drive by on fishing trips.

The fourth one is called The Sibling Accord based on a big family of like 6 or 7 kids. It kinda took the It approach and did flashbacks of them when they were kids and then as adults when they’re all attending the funeral of their eldest. When they were kids, their mom gathered them all up and crushed all their second favorite toys/items right in front of them and then lined up their favorite items and said if the fighting didn’t stop she’d destroy their favorite ones, so they all huddled together and came up with a treatise. No pulling hair, no scaring, no using such and such, only so long in the bathroom… Then, as adults, they all start noticing that the accord is being broken. I had two endings written for this. One of them it was one of the living siblings doing it to bring them back together, and one of the endings was the deceased sibling who had paid someone to start doing it in order to bring them all together again since they had all drifted apart. This one was written based on stories I gathered from my aunts and uncles after my uncle died and I injected their stories into it and it was kinda like a gift for them to read.

That was not the direction I was expecting those to go in (except the brief description of Parts). Did you ever submit anything to The Blacklist?

2 minutes ago, Mox said:

That was not the direction I was expecting those to go in (except the brief description of Parts). Did you ever submit anything to The Blacklist?

No. I’ve been thinking about revisiting both the ones I finished that weren’t horror, but I rush the horror ones because I just try to get to the parts I like. The drama/dramady stuff I write is much better than anything else I like because I don’t write for what I want to see, I write for what I think other people would think is funny/touching. But, like I said, I’m too busy right now to devote enough time to writing. They’re not good enough to be submitted to The Black List currently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacReady said:

No. I’ve been thinking about revisiting both the ones I finished that weren’t horror, but I rush the horror ones because I just try to get to the parts I like. The drama/dramady stuff I write is much better than anything else I like because I don’t write for what I want to see, I write for what I think other people would think is funny/touching. But, like I said, I’m too busy right now to devote enough time to writing. They’re not good enough to be submitted to The Black List currently.

If you ever get around to it I'd like to hear about how they are received.

• Like 1

Only an absolute moron akin to the denziens of the movie Idiocracy would think that Between Two Ferns is better than On Cinema At the Cinema Universe. And an even bigger moron akin would even think that those are even comparable genres.

What stakes have ever been in between 2 ferns? Its a lighthearted comedy sure, and kinda funny. But its like comparing Scary Movie 2 to In Bruges. I dont think any film buff would put those movies in the same genre

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malfatron said:

Only an absolute moron akin to the denziens of the movie Idiocracy would think that Between Two Ferns is better than On Cinema At the Cinema Universe. And an even bigger moron akin would even think that those are even comparable genres.

What stakes have ever been in between 2 ferns? Its a lighthearted comedy sure, and kinda funny. But its like comparing Scary Movie 2 to In Bruges. I dont think any film buff would put those movies in the same genre

98777b2ee6db9619b9d96824358d0ae5a8c09495

ZOMG yes, it's here. Expend4ables red band trailer, let's gooooooo:

That actually looks... I don't know if "good" is the right word to use, but fun and fulfilling. And a return to form and then some. Those were some sick kills, and I mean that in a good way. 😄

Edited by KManX89

1 hour ago, KManX89 said:

ZOMG yes, it's here. Expend4ables red band trailer, let's gooooooo:

That actually looks... I don't know if "good" is the right word to use, but fun and fulfilling. And a return to form and then some. Those were some sick kills, and I mean that in a good way. 😄

I agree...but I really miss practical effects for violence.    CG blood and gore is so underwhelming.