Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

42 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

What was controversial about what Brie said lol. I'm serious. I've only seen this...

Was there something more or was that what white dudes are taking offense to lmao?

You really don't see a problem with that? The only opinions that matter are the ones who the film was catered too?

That kind of argument would only support political race washing in films. So if people had a problem with Exodus: God's and Monsters, West Side Story, among others then the producers and studio's can just say get over it to anyone offended citing they are not the people the film was catered too.

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

You really don't see a problem with that? The only opinions that matter are the ones who the film was catered too?

That kind of argument would only support political race washing in films. So if people had a problem with Exodus: God's and Monsters, West Side Story, among others then the producers and studio's can just say get over it to anyone offended citing they are not the people the film was catered too.

No, I don't because nowhere does it imply that ONLY those opinions matter. She's just saying that there needs to be more seats at the table (as she put it herself). You'll get more honest reviews with diverse critics than you will with less. There's nothing wrong with what she said. People just need to learn to comprehend better rather than hear what they want to hear.

12 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

No, I don't because nowhere does it imply that ONLY those opinions matter. She's just saying that there needs to be more seats at the table (as she put it herself). You'll get more honest reviews with diverse critics than you will with less. There's nothing wrong with what she said. People just need to learn to comprehend better rather than hear what they want to hear.

She quite literally says it in that quote you posted.

[Audiences] are not allowed enough chances to read public discourse on these films by the people that the films were made for. I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about [A] Wrinkle in Time. It wasn’t made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial.

Meaning whether if he was right or wrong with the review it doesn't matter because the only opinions that mattered were the ones that came from a certain group. She up and said she discounted their opinions just because he was white and a male.

Also how do more seats get added to the table when the table is full? A media company only send a certain number of people to cover a story. They do not send more because of costs, so if a seat is getting added to the table it's because one chair is typically being replaced.

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Meaning whether if he was right or wrong with the review it doesn't matter because the only opinions that mattered were the ones that came from a certain group. She up and said she discounted their opinions just because he was white and a male.

Also how do more seats get added to the table when the table is full? A media company only send a certain number of people to cover a story. They do not send more because of costs, so if a seat is getting added to the table it's because one chair is typically being replaced.

So she said ONLY their opinions matter? Hmm. Interesting, cuz I'm not reading that. All I see is her saying she wants to hear what the target audience thinks over solely a random 40 year old white dude that may not understand the material. 

The table's full? Since when? Media outlets only hire white males to review movies? Interesting. 

13 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

So she said ONLY their opinions matter? Hmm. Interesting, cuz I'm not reading that. All I see is her saying she wants to hear what the target audience thinks over solely a random 40 year old white dude that may not understand the material. 

The table's full? Since when? Media outlets only hire white males to review movies? Interesting. 

tenor.gif?itemid=8755812

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I literally bolded the part where she said it and why. Because the movie was not made for them as she said.

And what sort of sense does that last part make? Do 40 year old white dude's only speak latin or something? Some dead language that someone of another race and age group could not understand? We have men and women on footballsfuture of all color's and age brackets and we can read and understand most everything written here on the site. It's the English language that has been around for quite a while and if you speak and read it your entire life then it should be easy enough to understand. Whether you agree with the opinion or not is a different matter entirely.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Since always. If a company says  they will only send 5 people to cover this story, then 5 people is all they are going to pay for to go. If there is a norm of who goes, such as a reporter with the senior most experience always covers this kind of story then that's who writes the article. So if different person is demanded to do the interviews, it will still always be one person writing that article so that means someone is getting replaced, because it makes no sense for there to be 2 articles of the same damn thing on the newspaper or media website.

So does that explain the position better or are you gonna hear more of "what you want to hear"?

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I literally bolded the part where she said it and why. Because the movie was not made for them as she said.

And what sort of sense does that last part make? Do 40 year old white dude's only speak latin or something? Some dead language that someone of another race and age group could not understand? We have men and women on footballsfuture of all color's and age brackets and we can read and understand most everything written here on the site. It's the English language that has been around for quite a while and if you speak and read it your entire life then it should be easy enough to understand. Whether you agree with the opinion or not is a different matter entirely.

No, she didn't lol. She never said she wanted to hear just what they thought. She simply said she wanted to hear what the target audience thought. She was pointing out that the target audience didn't have a legitimate source for a review because the majority of critics don't fit those types of target audiences.

Yeah, if a movie is about racial struggle of a minority, do you really think that a 40 year old white male is going to be able to relay the impact of the movie properly or thoroughly understand the films context the same way someone who has lived it can? That's exactly what it means.

6 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Since always. If a company says  they will only send 5 people to cover this story, then 5 people is all they are going to pay for to go. If there is a norm of who goes, such as a reporter with the senior most experience always covers this kind of story then that's who writes the article. So if different person is demanded to do the interviews, it will still always be one person writing that article so that means someone is getting replaced, because it makes no sense for there to be 2 articles of the same damn thing on the newspaper or media website.

So does that explain the position better or are you gonna hear more of "what you want to hear"?

LOL what? You're not understanding what she's getting at. She's saying she wants more opportunities for minorities dude. It's ignorance to think that "well, they employ the white guy so the white guys going no matter what because that's how it's done." She's not saying to exclude anyone. She's advocating for MORE diversity. There's literally nothing controversial about this. The only people up in arms are white males that are good at playing the victim lol. 

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

No, she didn't lol. She never said she wanted to hear just what they thought. She simply said she wanted to hear what the target audience thought. She was pointing out that the target audience didn't have a legitimate source for a review because the majority of critics don't fit those types of target audiences.

I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about [A] Wrinkle in Time.

"Do not need" meaning she does not want to hear those opinions.

I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial.

"I want to know" meaning those are the accepted opinions.

And what does a critic have to do with this? They are actually two different job sets. Hell everyone with a computer is a critic now days that has access to social media. So if a person doesn't like what Roger Ebert has to say about a movie they can always go find someone else that writes about movies with a similar liking.

Yeah, if a movie is about racial struggle of a minority, do you really think that a 40 year old white male is going to be able to relay the impact of the movie properly or thoroughly understand the films context the same way someone who has lived it can? That's exactly what it means.

This is probably the most ridiculous thing I've heard today. If a actor like Chiwetel Ejiofor can put on a portrayal of someone who was enslaved for 12 years when he was never a slave a day in his life. Why can't someone writing an article have the type of empathy to accurately write the article of what the movie is about?

LOL what? You're not understanding what she's getting at. She's saying she wants more opportunities for minorities dude. It's ignorance to think that "well, they employ the white guy so the white guys going no matter what because that's how it's done." She's not saying to exclude anyone. She's advocating for MORE diversity. There's literally nothing controversial about this. The only people up in arms are white males that are good at playing the victim lol. 

I get what she's saying. But she like some people are totally clueless of how those opportunities come about. Companies don't just add multiple positions of the same thing where there is no call for it. In order for one job to pop up, another has to be replaced. It really is that simple and not difficult at all to understand. You're logic of "just create more jobs" doesn't fly with companies who look at the bottom line of costs and she like some people have no clue how business works.

14 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

LOL, she clearly says it was in response to A Wrinkle In Time, not Captain Marvel, and she never once called for the removal of white critics for said film, just that critics of other ethnicities should have a voice. 

Also, Gal Gadot made pushes of her own:

"People always ask me, 'Are you a feminist?' And I find the question surprising, because I think, 'Yes, of course. Every woman, every man, everyone should be a feminist. Because whoever is not a feminist is a sexist,'" (emphasis ours) she explains, at once making feminism seem like the most obvious thing in the world and slyly hinting that those who are squeamish about the label might, uh, have some issues to work on.

So Larson haters, you gonna start hating on Gal Gadot now? 

This is a stupid reason to boycott films, anyway. I may not agree with a lot of Schwarzenegger's views, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of his films or going to see them (there's a new Terminator film coming out with James Cameron returning and Arnie playing the bad Terminator again, I won't turn down the chance to see that for petty reasons).

Edited by KManX89