Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Rian Johnson with a fresh trilogy and no characters that fans have decades of emotional dependency built up will be more well received that TLJ

Yeah i agree.  I'd be much more interested in this series (or the prequels) if they had nothing to do with the original series.  Create something new.  That goes for most series.

It has to be done exceptionally well if you're going to piggyback on something that was created years ago (for example, the new Star Trek series).

These films haven't all aged well, but if I was in the USA at the time, I'd consider at least seeing the first two. Maybe Batman Forever if I had someone to go with just for laughs. Batman and Robin absolutely not. I would want to see who actually put down money to see that film though in theaters again. 

On 4/1/2019 at 9:57 AM, Deadpulse said:

Rian Johnson with a fresh trilogy and no characters that fans have decades of emotional dependency built up will be more well received that TLJ

Except he will be depending on those same fans he pissed off to make his trilogy a blockbuster hit. So you may be right, but......this isn't the same situation as Marvel where they acquired new fans over recent years with the start of the live action movies. Star Wars has always been movie based so it's not like they can depend on fresh faces if they here it from the fans they won't see it just because of what happened last time. I think it's up in the air regardless, especially depending on the success of Episode 9. They won't have Ford, Hammill or Fisher to pitch fans which was a major hype factor for the last 2 films.

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

Except he will be depending on those same fans he pissed off to make his trilogy a blockbuster hit. So you may be right, but......this isn't the same situation as Marvel where they acquired new fans over recent years with the start of the live action movies. Star Wars has always been movie based so it's not like they can depend on fresh faces if they here it from the fans they won't see it just because of what happened last time. I think it's up in the air regardless, especially depending on the success of Episode 9. They won't have Ford, Hammill or Fisher to pitch fans which was a major hype factor for the last 2 films.

well received does not necessarily translate to box office. we are talking about 2 different things here. 

Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker revealed via Instagram that a Rush Hour 4 may be in the works: 

RH3 wasn't that great, but Jackie Chan proved in The Foreigner that he can still do his own stunts in his 60's, so I'm still holding out a tiny bit of hope that it'll be good/decent, I guess.

Edited by KManX89
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

well received does not necessarily translate to box office. we are talking about 2 different things here. 

For fans, but for studios it's not. They want it to be liked and make money. And in their opinion, making alot of money means being liked. 

His future depends on box office success. It overrides everything. Just look at James Gunn. 

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

For fans, but for studios it's not. They want it to be liked and make money. And in their opinion, making alot of money means being liked. 

His future depends on box office success. It overrides everything. Just look at James Gunn. 

Obviously money matters. Still nothing to do with what I said. 

New Cowboy Bebop cast revealed. Most of them anyway.

Today, Netflix confirmed that Cho will be playing Spike on the live-action Cowboy Bebop series. The streamer further announced three more cast members in the forms of Mustafa Shakir (Marvel's Luke Cage), Daniella Pineda (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom), and Alex Hassell (Suburbicon) as, respectively, Jet Black, Faye Valentine, and Vicious. Read on for the the official descriptions of these characters.

https://screenrant.com/cowboy-bebop-netflix-live-action-series-cast-john-cho/

People are already up in arms. I'm indifferent about it. I don't mind Cho as Spike, but he's already 46. Spike is supposed to be in his mid 20's. Mustafa Shakir as Jet is cool, and seems like the age that Jet should have actually be in the show, however he's younger than John Cho is. That's weird. Maybe the producers with Watanabe's blessing (since he's a consultant) just didn't care about the age thing. Daniella Pineda as Faye definitely looks the part, but people are already calling foul because she's not of Asian heritage (Faye was the only character with a stated ethnic background in the show, which was Singaporean). Folks aren't crying about Jet being black now though. Weird. Julia and Ed still need to be cast. 

This might go down in an ugly blaze, but I hope they're smart enough to at least keep Yoko Kanno's music as the primary sound source. That's half the appeal of the show to a lot of people. 

Edited by PapaShogun

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

New Cowboy Bebop cast revealed. Most of them anyway.

https://screenrant.com/cowboy-bebop-netflix-live-action-series-cast-john-cho/

People are already up in arms. I'm indifferent about it. I don't mind Cho as Spike, but he's already 46. Spike is supposed to be in his mid 20's. Mustafa Shakir as Jet is cool, and seems like the age that Jet should have actually be in the show, however he's younger than John Cho is. That's weird. Maybe the producers with Watanabe's blessing (since he's a consultant) just didn't care about the age thing. Daniella Pineda as Faye definitely looks the part, but people are already calling foul because she's not of Asian heritage (Faye was the only character with a stated ethnic background in the show, which was Singaporean). Folks aren't crying about Jet being black now though. Weird. Julia and Ed still need to be cast. 

This might go down in an ugly blaze, but I hope they're smart enough to at least keep Yoko Kanno's music as the primary sound source. That's half the appeal of the show to a lot of people. 

Always wanted to watch the original Anime, but just never got around to it. Worth it?

5 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Greg Nicotero basically co-directing Spawn reboot.  Jamie Foxx and Jeremy Renner still the leads.  I’m curious to see if Todd can pull this off. 

I'm pretty excited even if it is at least a decade too late.