Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I'd pay $19.99 a month for a Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ combo deal provided that I get at least 4 HD screens and no commercials on any of the apps.

It’s Hulu.  There’s going to be commercials even when you pay to avoid them. Their customer service is atrocious. It’s why I’m dropping Hulu Live as soon as the Draft is over. 

I’d imagine ESPN+ and Disney+ will be $14.99 each.  But that screen shot of Disney+ menu shows it’s going to be a must have in my household. 

2 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

It’s Hulu.  There’s going to be commercials even when you pay to avoid them. Their customer service is atrocious. It’s why I’m dropping Hulu Live as soon as the Draft is over. 

I’d imagine ESPN+ and Disney+ will be $14.99 each.  But that screen shot of Disney+ menu shows it’s going to be a must have in my household. 

ESPN+ is only $4.99 today.  I have Hulu now and pay to avoid the commercials and other than a few shows having a mandatory single commercial before and after (which I really don't mind) I almost never see commercials on Hulu.  I don't have Hulu live, I imagine that would have to have commercials though, considering it's live.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I don't have Hulu live, I imagine that would have to have commercials though, considering it's live.

Commercials that are live aren’t the issue as that’s unavoidable.  The problem is they charge you extra for the ability to ffwd through anything you DVRd. On top of that, they insert extra commercial breaks.  They say they don’t but I’ve sent video evidence to their reps on Twitter.

A week or so ago I was watching High Noon and they went to commercial during Bomani Jones speaking.  Can’t ffwd. Comes back from commercial to the exact point in the sentence it left off at. As soon as the topic was done, the show went to the regularly scheduled commercial break. They told me they don’t do it but I sent them the video of it.  They tell me it wasn’t legit bcuz they couldn’t reproduce it happening on their end.  All but called me a liar.  

This also happened during football. Tua drops back to pass and they go to a commercial break (Hulu, not ESPN).  Comes back from the non-ffwdable commercials and I see Tua’s pass pick up from the same spot.  They didn’t believe me then either even with evidence.

Haven’t had any problems with regular Hulu, but Live sucks for many reasons (terrible navigation menu, etc). Our friend added us to his YouTube TV account.  I’m gonna give that a whirl and see how that goes.  But I’m dropping Live. 

Edited by thrILL!

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

Disney+ sounds like it'll be cool and all, but it might hurt their Blu-Ray sales for their MCU movies. By the sound of it, it looks like they're gonna be putting all their MCU films on there, which would render buying them on home video obsolete, same reason why I never bought any of the seasons of DareDevil on Blu-Ray. Why buy them when I can watch them anytime with the click of a button for free on Netflix? 

Edited by KManX89

33 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

Disney+ sounds like it'll be cool and all, but it might hurt their Blu-Ray sales for their MCU movies. By the sound of it, it looks like they're gonna be putting all their MCU films on there, which would render buying them on home video obsolete, same reason why I never bought any of the seasons of DareDevil on Blu-Ray. Why buy them when I can watch them anytime with the click of a button for free on Netflix? 

Netflix was getting the past few releases of MCU films so not sure it would hurt DVD sales in the beginning.

On 4/11/2019 at 8:48 AM, MikeT14 said:

I had no idea it was out this weekend. I have not seen much marketing. They must have known they had poo poo on their hands.

They had a review embargo that was lifted just 2 days ago, usually that means they know the movie is ish. 

Everything I've heard about the movie just screams "they tried too hard to push an R rating without putting any thought or effort into the script" (thanks in no small part because of the production problems), which hey, I think I can handle the excessive violence and gore, I'm pretty hardened on that front (see: a person who's seen every Saw movie, Logan, both Deadpool movies, Hostel, a plethora of Romero, UnderworldTexas Chainsaw MassacreFriday the 13th and Halloween movies, the list goes on). I've said time and again I'm all for an R rating if the material/genre calls for it, but if the script (or movie as a whole) is ish, why should I care?

If I wanted to watch mindless B-movies with high school level-writing, there's a whole plethora of straight-to-TV/original movies on Netflix I can watch without spending a single penny.

What sucks is that this kind of crap I literally predicted the second Deadpool was a success. 

It's literally somewhere on this board where I said something like, "Hollywood is now going to rush R-rated spectacle movies with no soul, no spirit and no heart.  It will bomb, and we will get back to Hollywood thinking an R-rating kills ticket sales." 

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

What sucks is that this kind of crap I literally predicted the second Deadpool was a success. 

It's literally somewhere on this board where I said something like, "Hollywood is now going to rush R-rated spectacle movies with no soul, no spirit and no heart.  It will bomb, and we will get back to Hollywood thinking an R-rating kills ticket sales." 

Which we all know that's not true, see: Logan ($619 mil WW), both Deadpool movies (over $780 mil WW), It ($700 mil WW) and Halloween (over $253 mil WW on a $10 mil budget). Even Resident Evil: The Final Chapter made over $300 mil worldwide despite it being a wretched POS like the rest of the live-action films (except the first one, which was surprisingly decent, especially for a videogame movie).

But it ultimately didn't matter what this thing was rated, it was gonna be a trainwreck regardless with all the well-documented production problems and rewrites it was facing (over a tree, of all things). If anything, the R rating might've improved some of the action scenes beyond what we otherwise would've gotten (though I hear the violence and gore was a bit "excessive" in spots). All the YouTube reviews I've seen said some scenes were spectacularly well-done and it has segments of a good film buried beneath all the crap.

Edited by KManX89

The Depp thing is tricky because it's just allegations... No confirmation at of yet that it actually happened and on top of that Depp's lawyer claims to have proof that it's all bs.

It's difficult to act in a situation like that because if you get rid of him before knowing all the facts and it turns out it was a lie there's a very good chance Depp would have grounds for legal action against WB.

Edited by rob_shadows