NFL Comp Committee realizes they done messed up, reviewing RTP

RuskieTitan

How hard is it for the refs to look at a QB tackle and think "Yep, he tried to murder the QB there" or "Yeah, he's just making a tackle."

If need be, put one ref on the QB at all times and let him watch the QB. If it's an obviously egregious "Matthews is trying to injure Brady by body slamming him like Braun Strowman" tackle, throw the flag.

Hell, this is where I was going to say "It's going to start leading to defensive player injuries" but it already has with Hayes tearing his knee up. We've seen Clay Matthews post up on his arm to keep the pressure off the QB as well....what if that arm goes SNAP under 255 pounds of linebacker? So they're fine with star linebackers (and other defenders) getting hurt but not the QB?

It should be an extremely simple rule but they over-reacted on because of a freak play that lead to Rodgers missing 3/4 of the season.

I get getting rid of helmet-to-helmet hits. I get targeting the QB's knees but if they don't want to get hit, don't play the game. 99% of sacks don't lead to anything injury wise to the QB yet a freak injury happens and everyone loses their minds.

5 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

How hard is it for the refs to look at a QB tackle and think "Yep, he tried to murder the QB there" or "Yeah, he's just making a tackle."

If need be, put one ref on the QB at all times and let him watch the QB. If it's an obviously egregious "Matthews is trying to injure Brady by body slamming him like Braun Strowman" tackle, throw the flag.

Hell, this is where I was going to say "It's going to start leading to defensive player injuries" but it already has with Hayes tearing his knee up. We've seen Clay Matthews post up on his arm to keep the pressure off the QB as well....what if that arm goes SNAP under 255 pounds of linebacker? So they're fine with star linebackers (and other defenders) getting hurt but not the QB?

It should be an extremely simple rule but they over-reacted on because of a freak play that lead to Rodgers missing 3/4 of the season.

I get getting rid of helmet-to-helmet hits. I get targeting the QB's knees but if they don't want to get hit, don't play the game.

The trouble with this is that the refs have to follow the rules given to them by the committee, so it's not really on them. The committee are just making their jobs harder by putting (very subjective) rules in place for them to enforce with no direction or clarity. 

I wouldn't be opposed to your suggestion about a single ref solely for QB's though.

1 minute ago, JustAnotherFan said:

The trouble with this is that the refs have to follow the rules given to them by the committee, so it's not really on them. The committee are just making their jobs harder by putting (very subjective) rules in place for them to enforce with no direction or clarity. 

I wouldn't be opposed to your suggestion about a single ref solely for QB's though.

Absolutely. I'm just saying THAT'S what the rule should be rather than whatever the hell we have now. The refs are hand-tied here. They're damned if they do, damned if they don't now. 

I mean does everyone agree that the rule should be "If the defender looks like he's really trying to hit the QB hard (head, knees, big slam), it's a flag. If the defender is making a football play, no flag."

But once again....even my solution is subjective to a ref's judgement during an event that happens in the blink of an eye. Maybe that referee is sitting by a monitor in the booth watching for these hits where he can replay it once or twice if it's in question?

They can't keep going at this pace. You're going to get unintentional injuries from defenders trying not to get 15-yards.

Lighten up on the rule or punish the QBs. If they get wrapped up, the play is whistled dead. No Big Ben escapes...no Rodgers making magic after stepping out of a failed sack.

Qb's get paid by far the most on average and hit the least. Instead of trying to make every defender try to change the way they play, perhaps it would be more beneficial to make the QB's wear much safer gear. The helmet  would be different, and then make all of them wear knee braces. 

As for landing on the QB, this  is a judgement call but if the player lands like Matthews vs smith, I never saw smith in pain so that should be ok. What the league should consider is if the player land/drives the QB into the ground where the QB is landing on the shoulder instead of his back.

This isn't a problem that can't be solved. First they have to get rid of all the people that made this rule and get new people that see the field better so to speak.

2 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Absolutely. I'm just saying THAT'S what the rule should be rather than whatever the hell we have now. The refs are hand-tied here. They're damned if they do, damned if they don't now. 

I mean does everyone agree that the rule should be "If the defender looks like he's really trying to hit the QB hard (head, knees, big slam), it's a flag. If the defender is making a football play, no flag."

But once again....even my solution is subjective to a ref's judgement during an event that happens in the blink of an eye. Maybe that referee is sitting by a monitor in the booth watching for these hits where he can replay it once or twice if it's in question?

They can't keep going at this pace. You're going to get unintentional injuries from defenders trying not to get 15-yards.

Lighten up on the rule or punish the QBs. If they get wrapped up, the play is whistled dead. No Big Ben escapes...no Rodgers making magic after stepping out of a failed sack.

100% agree with all of this. if this is the angle the committee is going to take from now.......atleast add another ref to watch for these things.

Like you said....a refs judgment call is always going to be there --unless things change-- but it would certainly make the call alot easier to make if there was only one ref. Like a line judge does.   

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

100% agree with all of this. if this is the angle the committee is going to take from now.......atleast add another ref to watch for these things.

Like you said....a refs judgment call is always going to be there --unless things change-- but it would certainly make the call alot easier to make if there was only one ref. Like a line judge does.   

Exactly.

Leave it to one ref. It's HIS call to make. No ref who may have saw it 10 yards away or a ref who sees the QB on the ground but didn't see the hit.

22 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Love how they're going to meet now, in week 4, and possibly all come to the conclusion that they're ruining the product on the field, but they're not going to collectively do anything about it until next year.

Why even meet, then?

Also some of those calls will probably cost some teams a chance to get into the playoffs.

ezgif-com-video-to-gif.gif

This hit should be illegal, 6 total steps between the time the ball is released to the time Rodgers hits the ground. The 6th and final step Barr uses to balance his weight back on Rodgers. Totally unnecessary hit.

However it's obvious the refs can't tell the difference between simply naturally falling on a QB which is unavoidable, and something like Barr did which is 100% avoidable in real time. If that's the case I'd rather no rule be in place at all. The hit Rodgers took here is rare enough that it isn't a big deal, but that kind of hit is going to break a collarbone, separate a shoulder or sprain a joint close to 100% of the time, so when it happens to your teams QB you're going to wish they could figure it out too.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

ezgif-com-video-to-gif.gif

This hit should be illegal, 6 total steps between the time the ball is released to the time Rodgers hits the ground. The 6th and final step Barr uses to balance his weight back on Rodgers. Totally unnecessary hit.

However it's obvious the refs can't tell the difference between simply naturally falling on a QB which is unavoidable, and something like Barr did which is 100% avoidable in real time. If that's the case I'd rather no rule be in place at all. The hit Rodgers took here is rare enough that it isn't a big deal, but that kind of hit is going to break a collarbone, separate a shoulder or sprain a joint close to 100% of the time, so when it happens to your teams QB you're going to wish they could figure it out too.

In case anyone is wondering on why the rules are in place now.

6 hours ago, eagles101 said:

In case anyone is wondering on why the rules are in place now.

looks like rodgers needs to:

1. man up and drink more milk

2. stay in the pocket

3. throw away the ball before you get drilled

running QBs are asking for this.

I mean, even if all they did is keep the rule but only applied it to when a QB has already thrown the ball, that would be better than this. It would still be a little ridiculous (Clay Matthews vs. the Vikings), but at least it wouldn't be egregious like Clay's hit this past week, which is an A/B gap blitz, almost unblocked, and he simply tackles the QB (sack) with his head to the side and up, to the torso, and then rolls off as fast as he possibly can.

Archived