2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

6 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'm surprised we haven't signed another guard to compete with Garnett for the back up job 

Could be a draft priority. I'll be plenty surprised if the team makes zero attempts to add someone to the offensive line this offseason. 

14 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'm surprised we haven't signed another guard to compete with Garnett for the back up job 

I'm not really surprised by that. I think the staff does want him here, and a guy like Mags would be the competition there. If they were going to bring in another guard (which as Y2 said, may come from a late round pick or UDFA or something), I would think it would more or less be because we don't know what's going on with Tomlinson, how he's healing, etc. 

20 minutes ago, NFLExpert49 said:

Here's just one example of The Great Jay Glazer:

"Don't know how I can make this clearer for those arguing against it: CLE would take ME over Manziel at 4 & I totally botched the Wonderlic"

I really hate to continue encouraging your participation in this conversation, but he was right - and my personal constitution cannot allow me to walk away without noting this glaring error. Cleveland did not draft Manziel at #4. They swapped picks with the Bills and at #8 selected Justin Gilbert. 

It just seems weird that when trying to illustrate how someone is always wrong, you had to go back 5 years and still posted a tweet in which his prognosis was fully accurate (hyperbole about the Browns selecting Glazer himself at #4 aside).

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I really hate to continue encouraging your participation in this conversation, but he was right - and my personal constitution cannot allow me to walk away without noting this glaring error. Cleveland did not draft Manziel at #4. They swapped picks with the Bills and at #8 selected Justin Gilbert. 

It just seems weird that when trying to illustrate how someone is always wrong, you had to go back 5 years and still posted a tweet in which his prognosis was fully accurate (hyperbole about the Browns selecting Glazer himself at #4 aside).

It was really, really hard for me not to comment on that as well....

I didn't read it as King saying the deal couldn't be done for the #2 pick straight up. Just that is what NYG would be looking for and since we didn't want to put it on the table, then it would have taken someone like Buckner for it to happen. I refuse to believe that the Giants don't accept OBJ for the #2 overall pick.

27 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Glazer's point was the Browns weren't interested in Manziel AT ALL. He was full of ****, as he was numerous times throughout his career. 

What do you guys think about bringing in Bruce Irvin for the SAM position in base, and edge rusher in sub packages? 6.5 sacks and 13 QB hits last year. Produced a sack or QB hit on 8.3 percent of his pass-rush opportunities which is the ninth-best mark among the 174 players who had at least 200 pass-rush snaps last season.

8 minutes ago, mw2noobbuster said:

What do you guys think about bringing in Bruce Irvin for the SAM position in base, and edge rusher in sub packages? 6.5 sacks and 13 QB hits last year. Produced a sack or QB hit on 8.3 percent of his pass-rush opportunities which is the ninth-best mark among the 174 players who had at least 200 pass-rush snaps last season.

It probably be better then having Mark Nzeocha at Sam. 

10 minutes ago, mw2noobbuster said:

I was thinking about Irvin the other day. I forget did he play SAM in seattle? if so i'm all for bringing him in, assuming him in Saleh were on good terms back in the day. 

15 minutes ago, mw2noobbuster said:

I actually expected us to be in on him. The fit makes sense and I believe that we attempted to sign him after he was cut. Kind of surprised that it hasn't happened yet. 

59 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I was thinking about Irvin the other day. I forget did he play SAM in seattle? if so i'm all for bringing him in, assuming him in Saleh were on good terms back in the day. 

He player both Sam & Leo....

I didn't want to trigger a notificaton and got caught in a silly forum war, so I'm not quoting directly, but I wanted to respond to this:

There is absolutely no way the 49ers were remotely interested in OBJ. If you think they were, you do not understand who John Lynch and Jed York are. These are two guys who are obsessed with their phony idea of "class," and OBJ is the exact opposite of the kind of player they want in that regard. 

Lynch and Yord are so obsessed with "class" that they drafted Reuben Foster in the first round not even two years ago. One could say that because of the experience with Foster, they became more intolerant to the lack of "class". But I think it's more a question of "talent trumps lack of class". OBJ is talented enough to overcome the stigma. But not enough for #2 overall, straight up, of course.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not sure I'd consider OBJ as classless, though. Sure, he's a bit of a diva. There was stuff with his contract. Comments about Eli, were there not? But outside of that, was there any other off-field issues? Did he get into fight? Failed drug tests? Dog fighting rings? As far as the human being is concerned, I don't know that I have a problem with OBJ. Antonio Brown has been far more concerning, with an alleged domestic dispute, skipping practices, calling out Big Ben and Tomlin, etc, practically forcing himself out of Pittsburgh. Meanwhile, OBJ didn't say a word. I guess it's part of the reasons why one went for a 3rd and a 5th, and the other fetched a first rounder.

Archived