2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

39 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yep, I said the same thing in the draft thread. I see TE / O-line as being legitimate options in round 3 over free safety (with rounds 1/2 being Bosa/QW and WR). 

I've been thinking the same thing, too. A new draft crush of mine is Erik McCoy, IOL from Texas A&M. I'd love to grab him in the second as he fits well in a ZBS and can play all three IOL positions. There are a lot of good TE's available this year, too. Quality guys that could be had in just about any round.

Just now, Pandomonium said:

This is coming from WAY out in left field but hear me out....

how about, Solomon Thomas and our 3rd to ATL ....for JULIO JONES?

Not nearly enough for Jones. Thomas has no value. 

15 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I've been thinking the same thing, too. A new draft crush of mine is Erik McCoy, IOL from Texas A&M. I'd love to grab him in the second as he fits well in a ZBS and can play all three IOL positions. There are a lot of good TE's available this year, too. Quality guys that could be had in just about any round.

Yup, McCoy is someone I could totally see us going for in the second round. Top 3 IOL prospect in this class. 

I also think this staff has weird valuations sometimes and tends to prefer to hit strengths in a draft class OR grab what little top end talent there is early. So i'm not sure we're even enamored with the safeties in this class. I mean, if Thornhill or Savage are there in the third, I could see us taking one of them and cutting Ku'ann Williams/PSing Reed ( or trying too). But  given how top heavy this class is in some pretty important positions,  there is going to be a REALLY good receiver sitting there at our second and third and I don't think they'd value Adderly or Thompson enough over one of them.

I'm working on a 7 round mock draft (that I probably won't post until closer to the draft, due to it still being FA season),  but I have us grabbing Thompson in the second and Whiteside in the third and It doesn't seem insane at all. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Why do they need AA? They have Grady Jarrett. It's basically the same player. Also, why are they trading Julio? 

his contract is coming up next year and they may or may not want to pay it with the emergence of Ridley 
I'm really just spit balling and I'm not serious. 

1 hour ago, John232 said:

Yup, McCoy is someone I could totally see us going for in the second round. Top 3 IOL prospect in this class. 

I also think this staff has weird valuations sometimes and tends to prefer to hit strengths in a draft class OR grab what little top end talent there is early. So i'm not sure we're even enamored with the safeties in this class. I mean, if Thornhill or Savage are there in the third, I could see us taking one of them and cutting Ku'ann Williams/PSing Reed ( or trying too). But  given how top heavy this class is in some pretty important positions,  there is going to be a REALLY good receiver sitting there at our second and third and I don't think they'd value Adderly or Thompson enough over one of them.

I'm working on a 7 round mock draft (that I probably won't post until closer to the draft, due to it still being FA season),  but I have us grabbing Thompson in the second and Whiteside in the third and It doesn't seem insane at all. 

I go back and forth on DB's for this draft. Each time I do a mock, I take either Bosa or Allen in the first (depending on what Arizona does), then I take a WR or McCoy. Then I get to the 3rd round and this where things get weird for me.

I can either take a WR like Riley Ridley or Deebo if he falls, or I have a bunch of intriguing DB's staring at me like JoeJuan Williams, Marquise Blair (I'm really liking this dude), Sean Bunting, Will Harris, and Darnell Savage.

I feel like the third is too soon to take a TE and the IOL class drops off a cliff after the second round. I like some LB's, but do we really want to spend a third on a guy who might not play much in the next 2-3 years? 

I want EDGE, WR, IOL as the first three picks, but in order to get a top-end guard, I feel we're going to have to trade back into the second round. 

6 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I go back and forth on DB's for this draft. Each time I do a mock, I take either Bosa or Allen in the first (depending on what Arizona does), then I take a WR or McCoy. Then I get to the 3rd round and this where things get weird for me.

I can either take a WR like Riley Ridley or Deebo if he falls, or I have a bunch of intriguing DB's staring at me like JoeJuan Williams, Marquise Blair (I'm really liking this dude), Sean Bunting, Will Harris, and Darnell Savage.

I feel like the third is too soon to take a TE and the IOL class drops off a cliff after the second round. I like some LB's, but do we really want to spend a third on a guy who might not play much in the next 2-3 years? 

I want EDGE, WR, IOL as the first three picks, but in order to get a top-end guard, I feel we're going to have to trade back into the second round. 

Check out Lamont Gaillard... hes probably a 3rd to 4th rounder and I never see him on prospect ratings. He did well last year.

27 minutes ago, Pandomonium said:

his contract is coming up next year and they may or may not want to pay it with the emergence of Ridley 
I'm really just spit balling and I'm not serious. 

I like hypotheticals so I'll happily play along. I think Julio still commands a 1st. He's built like a guy that will be productive through his mid-30s and just turned 30 in February. His career has been stellar overall, but this past season he put up 2nd best career totals in receptions, yards, and touchdowns. So - he clearly has to be considered as still in his prime.

As for someone else to include in the trade, I'm not really sure what we have in abundance that they also lack. I think it would require a 1st.

That's problematic, of course, because we won't trade #2 and we're already missing our 2nd next year. Not sure how wise it would be to have our first pick be in the 3rd round (presumably the 80+ range overall) in 2020. I think we would have to have an offer to trade back at #2 for high 2020 picks or trade #36 for a future 1st should a team be so inclined. Both of which I would support if Julio became a 49er.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Thomas has no value. 

Sure he does, he's the same age as a current 5th year senior like Christian Wilkins of Clemson. Plenty of upside and development in him.

I'd prefer to keep him through his rookie deal but if there's no plan to use him in the rotation I can see Carolina or someone offering a 4th. 

23 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Sure he does, he's the same age as a current 5th year senior like Christian Wilkins of Clemson. Plenty of upside and development in him.

I'd prefer to keep him through his rookie deal but if there's no plan to use him in the rotation I can see Carolina or someone offering a 4th. 

Wilkins hasn't been a failure for two years and will have a full rookie deal. They are not the same.

Thomas isn't holding any real value. A team isn't giving up the pick they would use on Wilkins to trade for Thomas. Would someone give up a fourth rounder? Yeah maybe. But that's not real value. Like half of all fourth rounders are off the roster by year 3. Is Atlanta going to give up Julio for a fourth and third rounder? And there's no reason we should be giving up on Thomas as only a 4th or something in the mid rounds. He holds more value to us just under the possibility that he can be better. A trade of Thomas holding real value makes no sense for any team acquiring him, and trading Thomas for anything less than real value doesn't make sense for us. Does it make sense to dump Solly with his potential with 2 years left on the rookie deal for a fourth round pick that has nearly a 50% chance of not being on the roster after that same two year period (those retention rates are a little dated - 2014 - however I can't find anything more recent except one that covers 6 years, which is a little too long. Though retention rates for 4th round picks in 6 years is about 10%). 

1 hour ago, Justone2 said:

I like him but he is a C only at the next level.

Haynes of Wake Forest, McGovern of Penn St, Jordan of Ohio St and Deiter from Wisonsin (more of a OT/OG) are some names that should be available in 4th, 3rd at the highest for some.

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Wilkins hasn't been a failure for two years and will have a full rookie deal. They are not the same.

Thomas isn't holding any real value. A team isn't giving up the pick they would use on Wilkins to trade for Thomas. Would someone give up a fourth rounder? Yeah maybe. But that's not real value. Is Atlanta going to give up Julio for a fourth and third rounder?

Yeah, even Thomas's 5th year option isn't much of a bonus since he was the #3 pick in the draft and would cost significantly more than Armstead does this year should a team pick it up. Thomas's value is probably close to that of AJ Jenkins. Thomas is obviously not a bust of that level- but his value feels at best like a swap of disappointing former first rounders. 

I think our best bet is to keep him. He does better on the inside. Let him play there as the obvious 4th best rusher with Ford, Buckner, and Bosa/Allen. I think his stock rebounds nicely in that line. He'll essentially always be matched up one-on-one with a guard. 

This is why I still don't get QW for this team. Great player undoubtedly, but we can have a better line with a comparable prospect in Bosa or Allen AND possibly salvage the career of the former #3 overall pick. Seems like a no-brainer to me. 

I only understand QW if the team suddenly makes a move for Houston or Ansah. 

Archived