Ohio State draws criticism over "Silence" tweet

RuskieTitan

A message of "silence" shared on Ohio State football's Twitter account Wednesday is drawing criticism on social media and from national advocates for victims of sexual abuse and relationship violence.

The football team's account shared a graphic ahead of its top 10 matchup at No. 9 Penn State this Saturday featuring the word "silence," along with a message that said "silence the white noise." An athletic department spokesman said the message is the same that the team shared two years ago when they visited State College for another big game. The "white noise" is a reference to Penn State's plans to host a "white out" where all fans wear white.

"Even if this is about a game, in light of the domestic violence & sexual assault scandals at OSU, this is inappropriate," tweeted Brenda Tracy, an advocate and public speaker who travels the country speaking to football programs about sexual assault issues. "Messaging matters."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24813643/ohio-state-buckeyes-draw-criticism-message-silence-tweet

The offending tweet:

Silence the white noise.#GoBucks #WinTheMoment pic.twitter.com/sipz9AsB8s

— Ohio State Football (@OhioStateFB) September 26, 2018

Personally, as morally reprehensible as certain Ohio State coaches and administrators handled this situation, I believe it's an absolute joke that society has reached the point where this can be seen as some sort of scandal or deserves criticism. Penn St plans on using a 'white out', which is where they ask all their fans to dress in white when they go to the team, to create a 'white out' effect, and make a lot of noise to create difficulty for Ohio State to hear. Ohio State used the tweet to pump up their fans with "silence the white noise", a direct statement at the football game. If anything, making this a big deal seems to detract from actual issues at hand.

What say you, college football fans? Is this a situation where SJW are making a big deal out of absolutely nothing? Or is this a grave misstep by a university, perhaps a conspiracy where they are attempting to laugh in the face of domestic violence with a hidden underlying message?

Discuss.

Final note: this is a topic that pertains to more than just one specific team, and seeing as there is no longer any miscellaneous news thread... here we are.

57 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

-10 points for unironic use of SJW.

I just thought "SJW" would be shorter to type out than "an advocate and public speaker who travels the country speaking to football programs about sexual assault issues."

What would you have recommended instead?

Here's my feelings

1. It's clear to anyone with a passing knowledge of college football that is was in reference to Penn St. 
2. It was not inappropriate as that woman says. You can't just make it be what you want
3. It was obvious what people that don't know college football would see and what those that think OSU mishandled everything to jump on even if they did
4. That makes the post incredibly stupid and horrible PR which is the only reason to have a twitter account. So they person that posted it should probably be fired for not being good at their job. 

21 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Nobody is using it to be outraged. It's been meme'd, because it's funny at how utterly and incomprehensibly tone deaf they are.

-10 points for unironic use of SJW.

Michael Thomas made up #shhh - it was his way of saying "don't talk anymore, you'll see what happens".  Now #shhh is becoming his brand.  He's been saying #shhh for about 5-6 months now.  He says it all the time on Twitter, and now it is sort of becoming the de facto motto of a lot of #zone6 and other players

Its funny how utterly and incomprehensibly pathetic the fake outraged are, they won't even take the time to do research on where #shhh comes from before they jump to conclusions. And now the fake outraged look even worse. :D:D:D

15 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

I haven’t had boo berry cereal in awhile. Thinking about getting some. 

I saw some at the local big bird the other day. They had frankenberry and the Count as well. My inner child wanted to kick adult me in the groin and grab all three. I ended up restraining myself and now it has slowly become one of my biggest regrets. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Archived