NBA GDT | 18'-19 | I Love Mod Edits

FinneasGage

14 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Yeah except we’re not talking about how regularly he could do it. We’re talking about if he actually could or not. If he could sniff 90 back then there’s no reason to think he couldn’t now.

Because nobody in this era has been able to sniff it. KD a better scorer than Kobe hasn’t even sniffed it. Harden hasnt even got 70 Yet let alone 90 with his ridiculous volume. 

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

Players also don't play as much as he did. James Harden and Steph Curry are both more efficient scorers that use the 3 ball much more effectively and no one is saying they could sniff 100.

I’m telling you I agree with Paul Pierece we won’t see somebody score 100 points in our lifetime 

35 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Because nobody in this era has been able to sniff it. KD a better scorer than Kobe hasn’t even sniffed it. Harden hasnt even got 70 Yet let alone 90 with his ridiculous volume. 

Of course Durant hasn’t been able to...he’s had to share the rock with the likes of Westbrook and Curry/Thompson. Harden isn’t the scorer Kobe was so I don’t even need to go there and neither of them have Kobe’s mentality. Kobe was a different beast than both of these guys but if Durant was a 1 man army and the situation presented itself he could sniff 90.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

Players also don't play as much as he did. James Harden and Steph Curry are both more efficient scorers that use the 3 ball much more effectively and no one is saying they could sniff 100.

If Kobe played in today's era, obviously he would have to shoot more 3s and implement that in his game more. But Steph simply put can't get to the line like Kobe could and Harden doesn't implement the post/mid range game. Pretty impossible to double team from the elbow area with shooters around the three point line.

Durant who has more variety in his offensive skill set just doesn't have the ball in his hands enough. 

Saying ANYONE can score 100 is wild as hell as it has only happened once when a dude was averaging 50 PPG. But no question in my mind Kobe would be getting 60+ 5-7 times a year with this type of pace and space league. 

19 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Of course Durant hasn’t been able to...he’s had to share the rock with the likes of Westbrook and Curry/Thompson. Harden isn’t the scorer Kobe was so I don’t even need to go there and neither of them have Kobe’s mentality. Kobe was a different beast than both of these guys but if Durant was a 1 man army and the situation presented itself he could sniff 90.

Even on his own and there has been enough of a sample, he hasn’t gotten close. Whether you think Harden isn’t the scorer Kobe is, the gap isn’t that wide and even with Harden shooting way more 3s because let’s be real ( you aren’t getting close to 90 unless you don’t take a ton of 3s). Don’t give a crap about the mamba mentality 

4 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Even on his own and there has been enough of a sample, he hasn’t gotten close. Whether you think Harden isn’t the scorer Kobe is, the gap isn’t that wide and even with Harden shooting way more 3s because let’s be real ( you aren’t getting close to 90 unless you don’t take a ton of 3s). Don’t give a crap about the mamba mentality 

Lol u serious right now? Kobe's offensive arsenal is on another planet compared to Harden, it's not close. Harden is only able to drive or take a step back 3. Kobe could drive, step back 3, post, and abuse you from mid-range. Kobe scored 81 on 13 attempts from 3...Harden averages 13.6 attempts from 3 per game and, like you said, can't even get to 70. They aren't close.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Lol u serious right now? Kobe's offensive arsenal is on another planet compared to Harden, it's not close. Harden is only able to drive or take a step back 3. Kobe could drive, step back 3, post, and abuse you from mid-range. Kobe scored 81 on 13 attempts from 3...Harden averages 13.6 attempts from 3 per game and, like you said, can't even get to 70. They aren't close.

Harden is way more efficient than Kobe.  Also saying Kobe could hit step back threes is like saying Harden could post up, sure he did once every 10 games but it was no where near in his arsenal. 

6 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Harden is way more efficient than Kobe.  Also saying Kobe could hit step back threes is like saying Harden could post up, sure he did once every 10 games but it was no where near in his arsenal. 

Not true at all. Here are their career FG% by distance, but keep in mind this doesn't yet include Harden's twilight years whereas Kobe's are accounted for. The rules of today's NBA also makes it easier for Harden.

FG% by Distance:

0-3 ft: Kobe - 63.4% Harden - 63.6%

3-10 ft: Kobe - 44.8% Harden - 34.5%

10-16 ft: Kobe - 43.9% Harden - 42.3%

16-3 pt: Kobe - 40.2%  Harden - 37.9% 

3 pt: Kobe - 32.9% Harden - 36.5%

Harden is only, "way more efficient than Kobe" when it comes to the 3 ball, but that 3.6% difference will shrink the older Harden gets.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Not true at all. Here are their career FG% by distance, but keep in mind this doesn't yet include Harden's twilight years whereas Kobe's are accounted for. The rules of today's NBA also makes it easier for Harden.

FG% by Distance:

0-3 ft: Kobe - 63.4% Harden - 63.6%

3-10 ft: Kobe - 44.8% Harden - 34.5%

10-16 ft: Kobe - 43.9% Harden - 42.3%

16-3 pt: Kobe - 40.2%  Harden - 37.9% 

3 pt: Kobe - 32.9% Harden - 36.5%

Harden is only, "way more efficient than Kobe" when it comes to the 3 ball, but that 3.6% difference will shrink the older Harden gets.

fg% isn't an efficiency stat tho

if we both get 100 possessions and you shoot 50% on twos and I shoot 40% on threes (assuming those are the only shots we take), I would blow you out.

Harden has a career 61 TS%. Kobe 55 TS%.

Kobe's crazy 35 PPG season is had a 55.9 TS%. Harden this year is at 62.2 TS%. That is a huge difference. 

Edited by 11sanchez11
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

if we both get 100 possessions and you shoot 50% on twos and I shoot 40% on threes (assuming those are the only shots we take), I would blow you out.

Kobe's crazy 35 PPG season is had a 55.9 TS%. Harden this year is at 62.2 TS%. That is a huge difference. 

Well, again, Kobe would have to shoot more 3s if he played in this era and worked on his long range shot more no doubt. But TS% are higher now than they were during 06, no? I know we had quite a few players averaging over 30 that year, but that was more so with the amount of shot attempts they had and the amount of minutes they played. But not exactly a fair comparison as offenses are more efficient with the pace and space type of playing style. 

5 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Yes it is, your 100 possession example is not what I'm comparing. I compared equal value shots at equal distances for both players, and Kobe is equal to or better than Harden in 4/5 categories in an era that was much harder to score in.

Kobe is at an extreme disadvantage when comparing career numbers because of that and also because Harden's twilight years can't be taken in to account yet like Kobe's can. Like I said, all of Harden's number will drop by the time his career is over and Kobe already has him beat in a lot of areas already.