Dark horses through the first quarter

Elky

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I mean....I guess. To me it's what makes them non contenders. The Ravens are a dark horse because they're playing really well, flying under the radar, and we all know what happens when Joe Flacco makes the playoffs.

It depends on how you define it.

To me a darkhorse is a team that has some serious deficiencies that would limit them as a true contender, but still have the talent to compete with the best.

I think the Bengals and Ravens both qualify.  Bengals have traditionally been limited by their QB and head coach, but have some serious offensive talent this year.

The Ravens appear to have the defense, and their '18 offense is much better than the '17 version.  But they have some deficiencies IMO in in that offense can't compete with the league's best, and they've shown at least once this year that their defense has trouble hanging with a good offense.

In either case, neither team is a primary contender.  So that's why i'd call them both dark horses.

20 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I mean....I guess. To me it's what makes them non contenders. The Ravens are a dark horse because they're playing really well, flying under the radar, and we all know what happens when Joe Flacco makes the playoffs.

Flying under the radar despite being #2 in point differential right now, only behind the Rams.

15 minutes ago, ShupacTakur said:

Not sure Tennessee can really be considered a "dark horse" after being a final 8 team last year.  

Considering most people were predicting Houston, Indy, and Jacksonville to blow us out of the division, and most people don't even know we exist, I think we fit the bill!

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Standing by it. AJ Green is dominant, Tyler Boyd is developing, but Mixon has three down talent akin to guys like Gurley or Bell.

Fight me. 

AJ is still the best player on the offense.  It stalls without him.  Mixon has been great, and he makes the offense better.  But without him they can still score in bunches.  Without AJ (like at the end of the Carolina game), they have serious issues moving the ball.

EDIT: of course at the end of the carolina game they were missing both Mixon and Green, but whatever.  I stand by it too.  

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Peterman effect.

Ok... If you removed the entire first half of the Bills game in which the Ravens outscored the Bills 26-0, their PD would be +32, tied with Jacksonville for #4 in the league.  If you remove the entire 44 points they beat the Bills by in that game, they would be +14 still good for #8 in the league, just ahead of Cinci.  It's not particularly valid to do either of those things from an analysis perspective, but it illustrates the flaw in just bleating "but the bills." 

Archived