Dark horses through the first quarter

Elky

Now that we've gotten through the first quarter of the year, we're getting an idea of the playoff picture. Who are the current dark horses in the league?

Baltimore is one team that I think can do damage in the playoffs. Their defense is playing very well and their offense is at least adequate.

- Tennessee has won some improbable games this season, and has a benchmark W against the Jags in the division. Not sure if they count, but Mike Vrabel is really turning that team into a contender.

- Miami had a rough go of it against NE, but Tannehill and Co. are playing some really good football. They need to find ways to get Jakeem Grant the ball more often, he's got a lot of Tyreek Hill in his game. Also, Xavien Howard isn't a secret anymore - he's the 2nd best CB in Florida right now (slightly ahead of AJ Bouye).

- Carolina seems to fly under the radar like this on a yearly basis. They can football good.

- Cincy is putting people on skates, and that's without their best offensive player in Joe Mixon.

6 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Nobody seems to be discussing the Bengals as contenders, in a wide-open AFC.

They've got a huge showdown with division rival Steelers in 2 weeks. Focus on the Steelers. Dolphins are easy prey. Focus on the Steelers...

Having not watched any games except games in the AFCS and a few primetime games** - Baltimore is my dark horse. Good receiving threats at the wideout position and backfield, Flacco has played well so far (8th in yards, 8 TD's to 2 INT's), and they have a really good defense. Not sure what to think of the o-line maybe Ravens fans can provide some more insight, but a 3.1 ypc average (good for dead last) would seem to indicate that they're not blocking well for the ground game (or has Collins/Allen just been bad?). They're also tied for 11th in sacks allowed. Seems the o-line is leaving a lot to be desired looking at the stats through 4 weeks. Again, maybe the Baltimore fans could fill us in on how the o-line has looked vs. what the stats are showing.

21 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

checks their QB and head coach

Yep, there's your reason why.

that's exactly it.  Until they prove it, they're not contenders.

But...that's what makes them a dark horse haha

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

that's exactly it.  Until they prove it, they're not contenders.

But...that's what makes them a dark horse haha

I mean....I guess. To me it's what makes them non contenders. The Ravens are a dark horse because they're playing really well, flying under the radar, and we all know what happens when Joe Flacco makes the playoffs.

Archived