2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

On 12/23/2018 at 8:46 AM, marshawn lynch said:

Not really sure where to put this but a Red Sox writer is not voting Rivera into the Hall of Fame. What an idiot...

The guy isnt submitting a ballot at all though 

Anyway it doesnt matter, theres gonna be someone who doesnt vote for him, and honestly he's far from the most egregious person to not vote for.  I mean **** not voting for Barry Bonds is far worse in my book.

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

The guy isnt submitting a ballot at all though 

Anyway it doesnt matter, theres gonna be someone who doesnt vote for him, and honestly he's far from the most egregious person to not vote for.  I mean **** not voting for Barry Bonds is far worse in my book.

As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, there was a guy that somehow voted for Sosa and Pettite, but didn't vote for bonds. I feel like that guy should have his vote stripped away immediately. There's absolutely no justification for that. 

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, there was a guy that somehow voted for Sosa and Pettite, but didn't vote for bonds. I feel like that guy should have his vote stripped away immediately. There's absolutely no justification for that. 

The people that didn't vote for Griffey or Ripken should also get stripped. Some players should clearly be voted in 100% and when they dont the writers should get stripped.

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The baseball HOF is not legitimate until it includes Barry Bonds.

Isn’t legitimate until they rework their voting committee. 

Some of the voters, prolly a majority don’t deserves to vote any more. To many vote with biases 

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The baseball HOF is not legitimate until it includes Barry Bonds.

It's not legitimate already. The following guys are in the Hall of Fame and we'll never get them out:

• Rabbit Maranaville, SS/2B, Played 23 seasons (1912-1935) and got 43 WAR, career OPS+ of 82. 100 is defined as league average. 0 gold gloves.
  • Rick Farrell, C, Played 18 seasons (1929-1947) and got 30 career WAR. Career OPS+ of 95. Was allegedly elected to the Hall of Fame by the veteran's committee by mistake - seriously. The leader of the VC said "just throw him a vote so he doesn't get zero", but didn't tell one guy, told everyone that, 9 people said yes and he's in with 30 ******* career WAR.
  • Lloyd Wagner, CF, Played 18 seasons (1927-1945) and got 24 career WAR. Not a typo. He was a below average player, literally, over the course of his career. His best season by WAR was 3.6, and the next 2 years he produced a combined -0.1 WAR over 260 games. He's in the Hall of Fame.

The plain and simple reality of it is that the vast majority of the Hall of Fame voting media, and separately but especially the Veterans' Committee, simply doesn't know how to value baseball production and by extension who good players are. Adding Barry Bonds doesn't undo any of the horrible decisions they've made, so the Hall isn't worth paying attention to.

It's great to visit for one day as long as you don't take who is in and who is out seriously. But beyond that, there's just no point when it's so far gone.

On 12/24/2018 at 12:13 PM, Fresh Prince said:

The people that didn't vote for Griffey or Ripken should also get stripped. Some players should clearly be voted in 100% and when they dont the writers should get stripped.

Randy didn’t get votes and he won 5 CY’s + 300 wins.  Voter must have been an ornithologist.

On 12/21/2018 at 2:08 PM, GmenSeattle said:

Kind of a dumb article saying that the Yankees "don't have a spot" for Machado...but DO have a spot for Harper?  I mean...really?  One, Andujar to first or traded.  I guess we could also trade Stanton which there have been whispers of?  But...to whom?  Unless the Yankees are eating salary?  I guess there's also the possibility of signing Harper to play first (or getting Stanton to?)

Anyway.  The Yankees haven't made any huge signings since what, 2009?  I'm not really holding my breath on any 10 year deals coming from the Yankees.

So Stanton's 2018 thru 2028 contract doesnt count? Just cause they got the impoverished Marlins to chip in some cash so they could get him off their books doesnt mean the teams not made a considerable investment.

I'm not a big Harper fan, but agree - he'd fit better.

Here's the NYY outfield
Judge - 27 next year.
Stanton - 30 next year.
Hicks - 30 next year - his walk year.
Gardner - 36 next year.  I like the guy but the motor is definitely running down.
Frazier - 25 next year. I like this guy too, but can we count on this guy having a future - no less a productive one for the NYY? He dives to catch a ball - he could be out for months.
Ellsbury - 36 next year. You just know this guy's gonna get injured again in Spring Training. Hasnt been healthy or productive in years.

Theres some guys in the minors - but who knows till they show up.

9 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's not legitimate already. The following guys are in the Hall of Fame and we'll never get them out:

• Rabbit Maranaville, SS/2B, Played 23 seasons (1912-1935) and got 43 WAR, career OPS+ of 82. 100 is defined as league average. 0 gold gloves.
  • Rick Farrell, C, Played 18 seasons (1929-1947) and got 30 career WAR. Career OPS+ of 95. Was allegedly elected to the Hall of Fame by the veteran's committee by mistake - seriously. The leader of the VC said "just throw him a vote so he doesn't get zero", but didn't tell one guy, told everyone that, 9 people said yes and he's in with 30 ******* career WAR.
  • Lloyd Wagner, CF, Played 18 seasons (1927-1945) and got 24 career WAR. Not a typo. He was a below average player, literally, over the course of his career. His best season by WAR was 3.6, and the next 2 years he produced a combined -0.1 WAR over 260 games. He's in the Hall of Fame.

The plain and simple reality of it is that the vast majority of the Hall of Fame voting media, and separately but especially the Veterans' Committee, simply doesn't know how to value baseball production and by extension who good players are. Adding Barry Bonds doesn't undo any of the horrible decisions they've made, so the Hall isn't worth paying attention to.

It's great to visit for one day as long as you don't take who is in and who is out seriously. But beyond that, there's just no point when it's so far gone.

Nobody asked you for your dork numbers, nerd.

giphy.gif

I mean it's illegitimate because if you're in the BBWAA long enough to get a vote, it literally doesn't matter if you're  out of the org for decades, you keep your vote. It leads to guys who haven't covered or watched baseball other than in passing or only the local team for the local beat for years and years to continue to get votes when they have no ******* idea who's accomplished anything other than by name recognition. It's why guys like Trevor Hoffman get in.

The whole thing is a joke. It's basically the Oscars of sports, even the Basketball and NFL HoF are more legitimate. The Baseball HoF is just a bunch of ancient doddering miserable old men kvetching about how it was better when guys were on greenies and Reggie Jackson was beating people to a bloody pulp (which admittedly was great) and haven't sat down and watched a full baseball game in 25+ years.

5 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I mean it's illegitimate because if you're in the BBWAA long enough to get a vote, it literally doesn't matter if you're  out of the org for decades, you keep your vote. It leads to guys who haven't covered or watched baseball other than in passing or only the local team for the local beat for years and years to continue to get votes when they have no ******* idea who's accomplished anything other than by name recognition. It's why guys like Trevor Hoffman get in.

The whole thing is a joke. It's basically the Oscars of sports, even the Basketball and NFL HoF are more legitimate. The Baseball HoF is just a bunch of ancient doddering miserable old men kvetching about how it was better when guys were on greenies and Reggie Jackson was beating people to a bloody pulp (which admittedly was great) and haven't sat down and watched a full baseball game in 25+ years.

I don't see the issue with Hoffman getting in. He was the all-time saves leader (albeit for a brief period of time). I imagine you're going to say that he was just an above average player who played for a very long time, but that sort of guy getting in isn't limited to just the MLB.

4 hours ago, mission27 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/bryce-harper-manny-machado-reportedly-dont-like-idea-playing-philadelphia-024356728.html

This is what the MoL has been advocating for years.  No reason to go to some flea team even if they offer more money when you can go be a cs in New York, LA, etc. and make bank.

The Yankees should just go YOLO mode and sign both Harper and Machado.

MLB.com's Jon Morosi reports that the Padres have "emerged as a strong contender" to land Corey Kluber from the Indians.

Morosi notes that the Padres and Indians "are engaged in discussions," but adds that "one person with knowledge of the talks does not believe the Padres have eclipsed the Dodgers as favorites to land Kluber -- yet." San Diego's top two prospects -- shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr. and left-handed starter MacKenzie Gore -- are believed to be off the table entirely, but catcher Austin Hedges and outfielders Manuel Margot and Hunter Renfroe are apparently among the names under consideration for a potential Kluber swap. The Padres have also been connected to Blue Jays starter Marcus Stroman

I saw online yesterday it said who does the Indians like better Margot or Verdugo

Archived