2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

12 minutes ago, mm6492 said:

Phillies have to land one of the two and they should honestly be getting both.

However looks like we will settle with Mccutchen and trying to save 2 million taking Nola to arb

I had so many of my connects blowing up my phone just before the hot stove "You have no idea, Philly thinks they can get both, they're about to spend an absurd amount of money to try and compete long term right now, talking blowing through the luxury tax levels kind of money" and then a gigantic wet fart.

I honestly have no idea what the deal is with MLB free agency anymore. Other than "we can't pay the young guys without giving the older vets contracts because then we could be seen as colluding to keep the contracts down (which they are)".

2 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Now I'm no expert. But I'm pretty sure the Eagles are 2 games away from the SB after winning it last year.

Oh also yes, Bryce Harper is easily worth $300M, he's probably worth $400M just for the marketing considerations alone.

This is true. They've won one Super Bowl. One.

Got a bunch of drama queens here.

Oh my! The Yankees arent willing to outspend / overspend for every player out there! I'm appalled!

Ha!

I'd love to have Harper - at the right price. Somebody else wants to give him 30M a year - fine.

Oh but the gross revenues! I'm appalled!

Ha!

Oh but Harper and Manny are generational talents! Nobody better!

Yeah - except our rookie 3rd baseman outhit Bryce last year at a fraction of the cost.

Oh but the WAR, OBP, marketability!

LOL

24 minutes ago, Leader said:

Got a bunch of drama queens here.

Oh my! The Yankees arent willing to outspend / overspend for every player out there! I'm appalled!

Ha!

I'd love to have Harper - at the right price. Somebody else wants to give him 30M a year - fine.

Oh but the gross revenues! I'm appalled!

Ha!

Oh but Harper and Manny are generational talents! Nobody better!

Yeah - except our rookie 3rd baseman outhit Bryce last year at a fraction of the cost.

Oh but the WAR, OBP, marketability!

LOL

There is no salary cap in baseball. Who gives a crap? How much are they paying Ellsbury to be useless? Spend the money. Win the World Series. Stop being vaginas.

27 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

There is no salary cap in baseball. Who gives a crap? How much are they paying Ellsbury to be useless? Spend the money. Win the World Series. Stop being vaginas.

You're right. Ellsbury was a stupid move from beginning to end. A pure George move. BOS had a good year and he needed to make headlines. He had the cash - so why not? (This sound familiar to anyone?) The guy could never stay healthy when with BOS. All we did was overpay for him to be a broken down ballplayer on our dime. Stupid. Move.

I'd swap that money for Harper in a heat beat - but thats not how it works. Ellsbury's ours thru 2020 at least @ 21M per. I think we've got a 5M buyout in 2021 - which is a no brainer. We'd pull that trigger tomorrow if possible. Hell, we cant even get anybody to take him on as a "add on" to a trade. Why would they want our headache?

How's Harper's body holding up?

7 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

The Yankees are one of the five most valuable sport franchises in earth lol. What kind of weird fan is happy when their team hoards money so their billionaire owner can beat more money from the pinata instead if invest it back into the team?

No. Whats weird is "fans" who continually think outside the financial setup of the league - to a system that doesnt exist - simply because "they have the cash" and shouldnt be bound by any "arbitrary" rules.

They're only arbitrary in your mind. They're the way the league is set up and run.

Buying up every available player isnt always the best way to go. The NYY history is proof of that. In fact theres a decided "youth movement" going on in baseball - a reason why I dont think you're gonna get many players to sign for shorter length contracts. They're being replaced faster and faster.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

No. Whats weird is "fans" who continually think outside the financial setup of the league - to a system that doesnt exist - simply because "they have the cash" and shouldnt be bound by any "arbitrary" rules.

They're only arbitrary in your mind. They're the way the league is set up and run.

Buying up every available player isnt always the best way to go. The NYY history is proof of that. In fact theres a decided "youth movement" going on in baseball - a reason why I dont think you're gonna get many players to sign for shorter length contracts. They're being replaced faster and faster.

MACHADO AND HARPER ARE 26

WHAT THE **** ARE YOU ARGUING?

Holy **** dude.

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

You're right. Ellsbury was a stupid move from beginning to end. A pure George move. BOS had a good year and he needed to make headlines. He had the cash - so why not? (This sound familiar to anyone?) The guy could never stay healthy when with BOS. All we did was overpay for him to be a broken down ballplayer on our dime. Stupid. Move.

I'd swap that money for Harper in a heat beat - but thats not how it works. Ellsbury's ours thru 2020 at least @ 21M per. I think we've got a 5M buyout in 2021 - which is a no brainer. We'd pull that trigger tomorrow if possible. Hell, we cant even get anybody to take him on as a "add on" to a trade. Why would they want our headache?

How's Harper's body holding up?

That is how it works. In the NFL, salary is a scarce asset. You have a cap. You must work within the cap. Thus, you must allocate your resources efficiently. That consideration does not exist in baseball. The Yankees can literally say, "We don't give a single fug" and go buy up both Machado and Harper without any issue.

Archived