2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

1 hour ago, GmenSeattle said:

wtf is that true about the braves being that low on payroll on opening day 4th lowest in the league or so?  Liberty Media being way too damn cheap right now if thats true i know we aren't in the bottom 5 in money spent or fan attendance we can't be.

15 minutes ago, N4L said:

we were never in play with machado, but yes, I think this does really make harper less likely. 

Its the end of an era @John232

Yeah, sad but the guy is a legend. HOFer and loved by the fans. Semi excited to see where this franchise goes now. Really hoping we double down and crappy financials and take back a bad contract or two with prospects coming our way. 

1 hour ago, N4L said:

we were never in play with machado, but yes, I think this does really make harper less likely. 

Its the end of an era @John232

I never believed we were really in contention for Harper. Didn't make any sense. But this was to be expected. Time for the franchise to move in a different direction, maybe even before this, but the Giants like to let their managers finish out the string

7 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

wtf is that true about the braves being that low on payroll on opening day 4th lowest in the league or so?  Liberty Media being way too damn cheap right now if thats true i know we aren't in the bottom 5 in money spent or fan attendance we can't be.

Hell, the Rays won 90 games, swore up and down this off-season they would add payroll, and it still came in under last year's, and that' counting what they retained on Santana and Encarnacion.  

8 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Liberty Media has nothing to do with the Braves payroll. The Braves are an asset for Liberty. They cannot give or take any money from the organization otherwise it would be a breach of securities law that was established when the team was traded to them, not sold, from Time Warner.

The Braves are self sustained. The payroll is decided by the head of the organization, Terry McGuirk, and is all based off what the team makes per season.

1 hour ago, devils1854 said:

Liberty Media has nothing to do with the Braves payroll. The Braves are an asset for Liberty. They cannot give or take any money from the organization otherwise it would be a breach of securities law that was established when the team was traded to them, not sold, from Time Warner.

The Braves are self sustained. The payroll is decided by the head of the organization, Terry McGuirk, and is all based off what the team makes per season.

So is it Terry being cheap then because i still don't think we were that low on income coming in last year to be in the bottom 5.  If anything im pretty sure we were in the top 10 in revenue last year which means we should atleast be in the middle of the pack or closer to 10th in spending.

7 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Even if they aren't able to get dividends up from the Braves directly, it could be a strategy to cut expenses to either pay off debt or simply have a better profit margin to inflate the sale price.

12 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Even if they aren't able to get dividends up from the Braves directly, it could be a strategy to cut expenses to either pay off debt or simply have a better profit margin to inflate the sale price.

MLB thought the same thing when the trade was finalized, and Liberty went into a binding contract guaranteeing that they would do no such thing, otherwise they would forfeit the franchise. Terry McGuirk is the one that does everything. He is the de facto owner.

18 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

So is it Terry being cheap then because i still don't think we were that low on income coming in last year to be in the bottom 5.  If anything im pretty sure we were in the top 10 in revenue last year which means we should atleast be in the middle of the pack or closer to 10th in spending.

The Braves have made a crap ton of money for moving to Sun Trust and building The Battery. Hell, they are building more crap there(business offices, retail space, etc). McGuirk has been saying that the Braves would move to at least a mid-tier payroll team since 2014. Its the same phrases over and over every year. According to Cots, we started last season with a payroll at 118 million and finished with 136. Right now we are at 114 million, and AA and McGuirk said that the team can spend 10-20 million past what we spent last season. That would leave about 30 million in the budget. Take out 10-15 for in season upgrades, and it looks like we still have 10-15 more to spend. Where is that money? Who knows. I honestly think they are scared to give out long term contracts. I know we were offering just as much for Brantley as the Astros did, but he went to Houston because of the potential to DH, but other than that, we really havent been linked to anyone.

Honestly, Im a little pissed, but I also understand where we are in terms of spending on free agents. There arent many spots we could upgrade because of our young players, and probably being ahead of schedule.

Another thing to look at is that because of Coppy, we are very thin on prospects at the back end of the organization. It could be bad in 2-3 years, so we were probably out on any players with a qualifying offer, because we cant give up that 2nd round pick this year. We need the prospects.

The one thing that makes me scratch my head is why are we keeping all these prospects? We cant keep all these pitchers. Most arent going to work out. Hell, we might even be stunting growth by not being able to move up some guys. Then there is the Kolby Allard factor. The guys that arent going to be good are probably going to be found out sooner or later, so we need to get something for them while they have value, otherwise we will have a bunch of Kolby Allards that no one wants.

I dont know where i was going with all of this other than since the timetable for success is probably a year ahead of schedule, I wont totally give up on the front office until this time next year. If moves arent made to get us to World Series contenders, then Ill bring out the pitchfork myself.

Heres a descent article on Liberty Media

http://outfieldflyrule.com/2015/11/13/the-atlanta-braves-liberty-media-and-misplaced-anger/

In simple language, Liberty Media and Time Warner could significantly reduce their overall tax hits (and avoid some capital gains taxes) by trading investments with each other and holding on to those investments for five years. Liberty Media had no interest in the Braves specifically. Liberty Media’s primary interest was divesting itself of a large chunk of falling Time Warner stock. But in a traditional sale, they would have paid close to 2/3 of the sale amount in various taxes. Because traded assets have their basis (cost, for lack of a better term) reassigned when changing hands, they could ‘swap’ $1.83B in assets with Time Warner and have a much, much smaller tax hit, provided certain conditions were met. Liberty Media wasn’t interested in the Braves; they were simply looking through Time Warner assets for one with an approximate value needed to balance out the deal.

Under tax law, if the deal went through, Liberty Media would be prohibited from selling the team for at least two years from the date of the sale without taking the very same tax hit the deal was designed to avoid. Also, since Liberty wasn’t purchasing a ‘company’, but was instead trading ‘investments’, they were prohibited from infusing cash into the ‘investment’. They couldn’t just send money from Liberty Media to the Braves (to increase payroll or pay operating expenses) because it is not allowed in this type of transaction.

Under securities law, Liberty Media was also limited from just sending money at will to the Braves. Liberty Media is a publicly traded company with a board of directors and shareholders and fiduciary responsibilities to those shareholders. The Braves are a non-essential, non-core part of the entire Liberty Media business group. For Liberty Media, sending money that should rightfully go back to shareholders (who bought into Liberty Media for their experience as a media company) could put them in a potentially very bad situation for neglecting those fiduciary responsibilities.

There were concerns with MLB, as well. First, the deal had to be approved by 3/4 of the owners. Some owners had expressed concerns to MLB that this was just an example of a huge corporate entity taking over an established, marketable, winning franchise with no interest in keeping it going. Secondly, there were concerns that Liberty Media would run the franchise into the ground and/or relocate it. So, MLB stepped in and drew up conditions on the Buy/Sell agreement. If the conditions were breached, MLB had the right to punish the franchise owners, potentially including termination of the franchise rights.

One of the conditions was that Terry McGuirk would continue as the CEO of the Braves, and he would be the final say in all matters operationally, just as he had been when Time Warner owned the team. Liberty Media also was contractually bound to keep payroll at least what it had been for the average of the three years previous (about ~$81M). But Liberty Media went a step further, and they basically told MLB (my paraphrasing here) ‘We have no interest in running the team, and we have no experience running a team. We’re going to let the baseball people – McGuirk and Schuerholz – run the team, because we don’t know how to do that. The Braves will operate entirely independent of Liberty Media, and they will survive or fail based on their own revenues generated.’ Liberty Media was also discouraged from relocating the team from the metro Atlanta area.

Essentially, and this is probably not the best explanation (but makes the point), Liberty Media owns the Braves in the same way that you own a mutual fund in your investment portfolio. You own it, it is your asset, but you can’t just go and run it the way you see fit.

The move to Cobb County is a way to get more competitive in a mid-market by increasing other non-TV revenues. There will be year round revenues from multiple sources, such as restaurants, bars, and lease agreements with local businesses. But, it all boils down to the Braves being a self-supporting entity. They run entirely on their own revenues, and if they want to be bigger players in the current baseball economy (i.e. have a higher payroll), they will need to increase revenues.

Archived