Latest Broncos rumors.

Wolzen

Just now, Broncofan said:

It’s already down to 2nd degree trespassing.  Which seems very likely to get plead down to misdemaeanor or dropped altogether.   He’s got to be smarter and DEN has to suspend him or make him inactive 1-2 games to show this won’t be tolerated if he’s going to be our long term starter.  But looks like most benign explanation.  

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/crime/broncos-backup-quarterback-chad-kelly-arrested-on-second-degree-trespassing-charges

I wa going to say the same thing. This will either be settled or changed to a misdemeanor (which is a cite and release in most cases). 

Effing Kelly...Kelly's are just wild.  I went to high school with the Kelly brothers (that's like all you really need to know right there...when a last name groups brothers together...it's trouble)...however, they always had my back...every fight I got into, they were there to either cheer me on, or get in the middle of it with me.  

Must be an Irish Catholic thing??? loyalist to a fault...not too smart...and like trouble. 

I will lose my mind if Elway actually is serious about cutting Kelly.  If this is just PR to make the org look tough fine. But unless we are missing other info this would be such an overreaction.  Team party he got into wrong house, no DV no violence.  Make no mistake there is no lock he’s the answer but this isn’t something you cut a guy for.  

SMH better just be PR.  

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I will lose my mind if Elway actually is serious about cutting Kelly.  If this is just PR to make the org look tough fine. But unless we are missing other info this would be such an overreaction.  Team party he got into wrong house, no DV no violence.  Make no mistake there is no lock he’s the answer but this isn’t something you cut a guy for.  

SMH better just be PR.  

I hope he isn’t cut, but it’s such a bad look for Kelly and the Broncos future.  I don’t blame Elway for being angry.  Wasn’t there just a report that Elway wanted Kelly to get a chance this year?  Then he gets arrested no matter how dumb or petty it’s absolutely ridiculous and it’s not a new or random act coming from Chad Kelly.  He’s been immature and foolish since he entered college and we were made to believe he’d changed, then he ends up arrested.

15 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I hope he isn’t cut, but it’s such a bad look for Kelly and the Broncos future.  I don’t blame Elway for being angry.  Wasn’t there just a report that Elway wanted Kelly to get a chance this year?  Then he gets arrested no matter how dumb or petty it’s absolutely ridiculous and it’s not a new or random act coming from Chad Kelly.  He’s been immature and foolish since he entered college and we were made to believe he’d changed, then he ends up arrested.

Absolutely bad optics.  Totally agree there.    But teams don’t make decisions based on optics and not on rash reactions.   A decision now is the latter.  As a contrast SF said all the right things on Reuben Foster that he’d be cut if he was guilty - and when he got cleared they were covered either way.   Hopefully that’s the same here.  

Kelly doesn’t get a pass.  But match the penalty to the crime.   The actual event is a nothing burger.  The odds are the charges get dropped.  

I would bet money that he smoked some of that synthetic weed. Stuff can make people go absolutley nuts. Kelly probably was avoiding alcahol based on his past and weed based on potential drug tests from the league. Alot of young guys smoke the synthetic stuff and it can make you go absolutley b-a-n-a-n-a-s.

Truthfully, I dont care much about this incident. He wasnt violent. He was cooperative. He didnt drive. Its the first incident since he was drafted. All reports up to this point show him as a tremendous teammate and very, very hard working.

Truth is, most players are having more fun that we care to admit when the spotlight is off. Anyone active in the after-bar scene in Denver knows this. No violence and no driving leaves this action fully redeemable. Even if he has drugs in his system, fully redeemable.

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I would bet money that he smoked some of that synthetic weed. Stuff can make people go absolutley nuts. Kelly probably was avoiding alcahol based on his past and weed based on potential drug tests from the league. Alot of young guys smoke the synthetic stuff and it can make you go absolutley b-a-n-a-n-a-s.

Truthfully, I dont care much about this incident. He wasnt violent. He was cooperative. He didnt drive. Its the first incident since he was drafted. All reports up to this point show him as a tremendous teammate and very, very hard working.

Truth is, most players are having more fun that we care to admit when the spotlight is off. Anyone active in the after-bar scene in Denver knows this. No violence and no driving leaves this action fully redeemable. Even if he has drugs in his system, fully redeemable.

IDK, its a hard sell to allow a guy who has always been known for trouble that slid in the draft partly because of it to remain in the teams plans when at QB, your supposed to be one of the faces of the team. Him being a 7th round backup makes it that much easier to release him anyways.

Not a good look for your potential future QB to be smoking synthetic weed at a party and stumbling into random peoples houses when he has a history of this behavior. Especially after his his uncle Jim on draft day vouched to Elway for him that hes a good kid. I mean you might have to cut him just to set a standard to the rest of the team and use him as an example.

A guy who has zero history of this behavior like Shaq Barrett, than fine. 1 strike. But this is like Kellys 3rd or 4th incident like this.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

IDK, its a hard sell to allow a guy who has always been known for trouble that slid in the draft partly because of it to remain in the teams plans when at QB, your supposed to be one of the faces of the team. Him being a 7th round backup makes it that much easier to release him anyways.

Not a good look for your potential future QB to be smoking synthetic weed at a party and stumbling into random peoples houses when he has a history of this behavior. Especially after his his uncle Jim on draft day vouched to Elway for him that hes a good kid. I mean you might have to cut him just to set a standard to the rest of the team and use him as an example.

A guy who has zero history of this behavior like Shaq Barrett, than fine. 1 strike. But this is like Kellys 3rd or 4th incident like this.

Completely agree with this.  

3 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Completely agree with this.  

I think Elway’s decision will say a lot about what he thinks about Kelly talent wise. 

If Trevor Siemian had done this the year Lynch was drafted even with his spotless record he would’ve been cut IMO

2 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

I think Elway’s decision will say a lot about what he thinks about Kelly talent wise. 

If Trevor Siemian had done this the year Lynch was drafted even with his spotless record he would’ve been cut IMO

Agreed, but I think with the way the season is going right now--the Broncos are just going to have to reset after the season anyways. As much as Elway and others dont want to admit it, they need to rebuild and get assets for next years draft to get a real, true and legit franchise QB for the next 10+ years hopefully. Quit screwing around with 7th round picks like Siemian/Kelly or re-tread career backups like Keenum. You can even trace this back to Cutler/Orton/Tebow

They need to quit screwing around and find their guy in the top 10 of the draft whether thats Herbert/Haskins/Lock/Greir whoever. Figure it out and take a guy and stick with him. Im still sorta mad we never gave Lynch a legitimate shot with at least a half a season of starting experience before we just cut him.

The young core is already here with Lindsay/Freeman/Sutton/Hamilton/Jewel/Cravens/Simmons/Chubb. Keep Von/Harris/Sanders/Wolfe around as veteran leaders and go get your franchise QB next year and fill gaps on the O-Line/Secondary with the other picks. 

The Broncos nailed last years draft it looks like--if they can hit on a QB next year and find another 2-3 good players out of it, the turnaround for this team will be a short one. They just need to quit fooling themselves with this QB situation.

3 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

The longer we go without news, the more likely he's staying.  

For all the talk about high-character guys, we signed Pacman Jones when we needed a 3rd CB.  Winning matters more (in this case, winning in 2019+).  Kelly is no lock, and this certainly doesn't make his case any stronger, but if Elway thinks he really has a shot to be the guy, he's going to keep Kelly.  And again, I have no problem with this, even with his history.  I have a bigger problem if he has what it takes between the ears, but this doesn't faze me, unless there's something more that comes to light.

He's just an absolute idiot for putting himself in the situation. He was nailed on to get game time this year when we're out of the playoff hunt, which knowing this team, could be in no more than 3 games time. Chad should be doing everything in his power to put pressure on the Coaching staff to play him; instead, he goes and gets himself arrested.

Sure, the crime wasn't 'serious' (I sure wouldn't want a random person in my house near a child of mine), but that isn't the point. It's the same as when people say, "it's only weed so what is the big deal?" The big deal is that it is against the rules set out by the league. Are they fair? Sometimes not. Do I agree with them all? Absolutely not. But they are the rules. If you don't abide by them, you will be gone. Kelly doesn't have the draft status or the talent to be out here making dumb mistakes.

This has probably pissed me off more than some of our performances. I expected us to be rubbish, but I thought Chad had got passed this sort of stuff.

Archived