Does Your OL Suck? Your Coaching? How About a Certain DB?

RandyMossIsBoss

Are you satisfied with your OL? - Yes, actually. So far. This rarely lasts

Are you satisfied with your coaching? - Yep. 

Is there a major leak in your secondary, and if so, who? - Eric Rowe, but he's been out. Again, pretty satisfied with this.

Lack of speed on defense, that's our scapegoat.

Panthers

Are you satisfied with your OL?
OL is actually pretty good so far considering how many injuries piled up during the preseason and the first month... no Daryl Williams, Amini Silatolu, or Matt Kalil who were all expected starters. Team is getting along fine without them.

Are you satisfied with your coaching?
I think Eric Washington is still getting the hang of being a DC. Front four hasn't lived up to expectations wrt applying pressure. And he doesn't seem to know when to blitz and when not to. I also think Rivera/Turner can be better at managing end of game or end of half offenses. We've always been slow at those. Maybe it's a Cam thing. I dunno. And Norv ran the ball on 3rd and 1 with no timeouts last week which was kinda dumb. But there's been less head-scratching calls compared to the days of Mike Shula.

Is there a major leak in your secondary, and if so, who?
Donte Jackson is pretty boom or bust. The guy has 3 picks so I can't complain too much. Plus he's a 5'9 rookie playing on the outside. Probably gonna be some bumps along the way. Bradberry has done OK against Julio, Odell, and Green so far. Hasn't shut them down but he hasn't let them roll all over us. Safeties have been pretty crap from injuries but Eric Reid should alleviate that.

The right side of our oline is a 'car crash,' as @Buc Ball appropriately pointed out. Our rotation at RG shows we don't have a RG. And Dotson is struggling because of it.

We also can't run the ball.

Mike Smith's defensive scheme of off coverage is a joke. And has been since he got here three years ago. No team has allowed a higher completion percentage or higher opposing QB rating since he took over.

Our secondary is Brent Grimes (who's lost a step), rookies, and a second year safety that couldn't start right away because he needed some work. Combine that with soft cover four and zero blitzing, and you're in for a world of hurt.

I mean. We gave Bears fans hope for Trubisky. ?

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Vikings

Coaching: Excellent.

O-Line: This is the weakest part of our team.

Secondary: Excellent.  We have 4 first round picks in our secondary, and they are all very good to great.

Our secondary has been bad so far this season...has probably been the biggest reason for our defense failures so far this season

On 10/13/2018 at 11:41 AM, upriser7 said:

Our secondary has been bad so far this season...has probably been the biggest reason for our defense failures so far this season

True, but the players have shown that they are very good.  I think Zim will get it sorted out.  I think they will be in good shape by the time the playoffs roll around.

On 10/8/2018 at 6:45 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Checking in around the league on the top 3 scapegoats: OL, coaching and a single DB. 

Team: 

Are you satisfied with your OL?

Are you satisfied with your coaching?

Is there a major leak in your secondary, and if so, who?

Yes

Mostly. Sean Payton still manages the clock like a real jerk though. Sometimes he should just run the freaking ball too. 

Everyone not named Lattimore has been more bad than good. Our front 7 has been our saving grace defensively.

My issues with Fangio came to fruition again. He is so hell-bent on rushing 4 that he ignored a gimpy Mack's noticeable lack of burst, then played soft coverage against the likes of Osweiler. Horrible gameplan. Even if it is Brock, he is still a pro QB and can complete passes 5-6 yards past the LOS. Should have dialed up the pressure to compensate for Mack's injury, pressed the WRs to take advantage of the lack of chemistry and timing, but he sits back and runs his favorite bend-over-but-don't-break defense... which regularly broke. Our safties were atrocious today, IDK what was going on with their tackling but we gave up like 250 YAC. Amazing.

Archived