Drew Brees - new all time passing yardage leader

Mid Iowa

Steve Grogan has a 75-60 record as a starter. That's a better winning percentage than Warren Moon and Dan Fouts. Steve Grogan people. Phil Simms has a 95-64 record. Jay Schroeder 61-38. Alex Smith 90-64-1. 

QB record is just not a good way to evaluate a quarterback's quality of play. Yeah, a good quarterback increases your chances of winning, but that still discounts other important variables that help lead to wins. 

3 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Steve Grogan has a 75-60 record as a starter. That's a better winning percentage than Warren Moon and Dan Fouts. Steve Grogan people. Phil Simms has a 95-64 record. 

QB record is just not a good way to evaluate a quarterback's quality of play. Yeah, a good quarterback increases your chances of winning, but that still discounts other important variables that help lead to wins. 

No, you got it all wrong. A QB's record are soley dependent on an entire teams record. Context don't matter. I guess.

16 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Steve Grogan has a 75-60 record as a starter. That's a better winning percentage than Warren Moon and Dan Fouts. Steve Grogan people. Phil Simms has a 95-64 record. Jay Schroeder 61-38. Alex Smith 90-64-1. 

And no ones putting those Qb's top 5 ever. Which is the point of discussion. 

Also, if it's purely about accuracy, Brady isn't even in the same universe as Brees.

I'll never forget Brees demolishing everyone else in the QB accuracy contest at the 05 Pro Bowl. Up until that point, I didn't fully appreciate him turning it around in San Diego.

It's really tempting to say that if they switched places team-wise, Brees would have had similar playoff success to what Brady has done.

5 minutes ago, El ramster said:

And no ones putting those Qb's top 5 ever. Which is the point of discussion. 

Moon and Fouts? Those are still two of the best who have ever played the game. Hall of Famers. Way better than the other guys I listed with better winning percentages. Shouldn't they be considered better since they won games at a better percentage? 

The point of the discussion seemed to revolve around the idea that a quarterback's win/loss record is indicative of how good he is. Which really isn't that case. The results aren't explained as they just presented without context. 

10 minutes ago, NFLExpert49 said:

Also, if it's purely about accuracy, Brady isn't even in the same universe as Brees.

I'll never forget Brees demolishing everyone else in the QB accuracy contest at the 05 Pro Bowl. Up until that point, I didn't fully appreciate him turning it around in San Diego.

It's really tempting to say that if they switched places team-wise, Brees would have had similar playoff success to what Brady has done.

Oh boy, this argument again. First Manning, then Rodgers, now Brees.

First of all, sure Brees may be slightly more accurate, although I would be inclined to say that Brady's passes seem inaccurate only because he puts the ball where only the WR can get it, and it can look off. However, Brady's pocket presence and footwork is unparalleled by any QB in NFL history. His release is also absurdly fast and compact. 

But let's look away from the physical aspects of the game and talk about what matters,

All these QBs lack one thing that Brady does. The intangibles: confidence, passion, determination, intelligence... These intangibles build to one thing that matters the most, winning when it matters. Game on the line, down a touchdown, last drive of the game. The answer is Brady and has been for a long time. 

35 minutes ago, Asciimo said:

Oh boy, this argument again. First Manning, then Rodgers, now Brees.

First of all, sure Brees may be slightly more accurate, although I would be inclined to say that Brady's passes seem inaccurate only because he puts the ball where only the WR can get it, and it can look off. However, Brady's pocket presence and footwork is unparalleled by any QB in NFL history. His release is also absurdly fast and compact. 

But let's look away from the physical aspects of the game and talk about what matters,

All these QBs lack one thing that Brady does. The intangibles: confidence, passion, determination, intelligence... These intangibles build to one thing that matters the most, winning when it matters. Game on the line, down a touchdown, last drive of the game. The answer is Brady and has been for a long time. 

Don't think you can say that unless you've seen every quarterback in NFL history play. :) 

Brady has a higher sack percentage than Brees for instance. Marino as well. 

And your last point about "intangibles" is based more on personal belief than something that can actually be observed and/or measured. There is no way you can say that Brady has more passion, confidence, determination, or whatever compared to anyone else that is played. How decorated his career is or isn't indicative of anything like that. 

can i just say i hope brees keeps this record, i think it’s really fitting that brees, he of the historically awful defenses, he who’s had to carry saints team after saints team on his arm alone, now holds the record for raw yardage

you may not think brees is top five all time (i believe that he is), but you’ve got to admit it’s poetic and fitting that he holds this record after everything that has characterised his career

Archived