Drew Brees - new all time passing yardage leader

Mid Iowa

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Don't think you can say that unless you've seen every quarterback in NFL history play. :) 

Brady has a higher sack percentage than Brees for instance. Marino as well. 

And your last point about "intangibles" is based more on personal belief than something that can actually be observed and/or measured. There is no way you can say that Brady has more passion, confidence, determination, or whatever compared to anyone else that is played. How decorated his career is or isn't indicative of anything like that. 

the mental makeup of a QB is a real thing, just like any of us. some take flight, some fight. performing well in stressful situations is a measurable skill.

Everybody has their own opinion about the greatest QB in NFL history.

For me and most others it's TB12 but everybody can have their own opinion and Rodgers, Brees, Peyton, Young, Marino and Montana were/are all outstanding as well.

I would rank Brees in the top 5 though if I had to make a ranking

1) Brady

2) Montana

3) Manning

4) Marino

5) Brees

7 hours ago, Asciimo said:

passing yards is probably the least impressive stat a QB could pride themselves on. 

He has thrown a ton of passes because often the defense sucked in NO. I wouldn't take that as a positive or negative. Just what needed to be done. 

8 hours ago, Asciimo said:

1. brady
2. montana
3. manning
4. favre/young/marino
5. favre/young/marino
6. favre/young/marino
7. brees/rodgers/elway
8. brees/rodgers/elway
9. brees/rodgers/elway

top 7 at best, top 9 at worst. this is just superbowl era.. you have guys like Otto, Unitas, Baugh that would be somewhere in that 4-10 range as well.

this is pretty good although I would replace Favre with Brees.

1Brady

2Montana

3Manning

4Marino

5Brees

6Young

7Rodgers

8Favre

9Elway

10Warner - sure he didn't play as long as others but he won 2 MVP, SBMVP, SB and went to 3 SBs.

28 minutes ago, Asciimo said:

pretty easily. put a QB in a stressful situation and see how he performs most often. game winning drives & playoff games.

That's not measuring though. That's going to be up to personal interpretation. And what is a stressful situation in the NFL? Every snap could be that. 

And if a quaterback has three receivers drop passes or a kicker miss game winning kicks on a drive to win a game, which results in a loss, does that mean a quarterback wasn't determined enough? Why did Adam Vinatieri kick game winning field goals in the Super Bowl at all? If Brady had more intelligence shouldn't he have thrown touchdowns? If his mental makeup is the best why has he ever faced a third down? Why has he ever lost a game?

Again, personal interpretation. There is no set paradigm or formula to measuring something like willpower or determination. Especially when perception is result based. Just like you can't measure creativity on a scale. 

Real talk, I can buy you saying Brady is one of the best ever at handling adversity in close games when the situations arise compared to others. But to claim he's better in that regard compared to anyone else that has played is kind of nutty for me.

This is why I don't do numerical rankings of quarterbacks. It's kind of ridiculous. 

5 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Steve Grogan has a 75-60 record as a starter. That's a better winning percentage than Warren Moon and Dan Fouts. Steve Grogan people. Phil Simms has a 95-64 record. Jay Schroeder 61-38. Alex Smith 90-64-1. 

QB record is just not a good way to evaluate a quarterback's quality of play. Yeah, a good quarterback increases your chances of winning, but that still discounts other important variables that help lead to wins. 

I think it’s better to say that great QB play trends to higher team success than other positions but it’s not a completely predicative factor because there are many variables to take into account.

I don't get why people are undermining being the leader in all-time passing yards. If everyone else could throw for 5000 yards a season wouldn't they being doing it? Is passing really so easy in the NFL that being able to gain more yards and score more points just totally unimpressive? I don't get it.

Archived