Stock Investing

rickyt31

5 hours ago, Shockwave said:

From my experience alot of the monthly div payers are in the housing/residential sector or are REITS. Stocks like ORC, O, STAG, APLE (off the top of my head)

Yeah, I'm comparing those exact companies to AGNC and BRMK right now. 

• 2 weeks later...

My Fab Five lineup:

VTI - Roth staple.

VGT - Monster of a growth ETF. Cheaper expense ratio than QQQM (aka the budget version of QQQ) and has beaten QQQ in returns for the past decade along with a better yield. Has more holdings as well.

SCHD - Best dividend ETF as far as I know. Cheap expense ratio (.06), solid yield (3.42) and even has even beaten VOO in returns the past decade.

XLRE - Great way to hit the real estate market. Slightly cheaper expense ratio than VNQ, roughly the same yield and has experienced more growth. Big downside is that it only has 33 holdings

VCLT - I prefer to buy government bonds directly on Treasury Direct.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just going to remind everyone looking at all these bargains in the market right now...

Airbnb is not one of them.

If you're telling yourself it's down because the entire market is down, no.

It's down because it is destined for failure in a market that is going to destroy it.

It doesn't actually have any assets. None. Its entire business model is built around other people's stuff.

Expedia is the same thing, but Expedia is basing it off established, billion dollar companies with billions of dollars worth of physical assets as well as franchise fees from thousands of independently owned hotels.

Both Expedia and Airbnb are down close to 50% from their all time highs.

Marriot, IHG, Hilton and all other hotel chains - actual hotel chains with actual physical assets and actual monthly franchise fees from independently owned hotels - are down only 15-20%.

Expedia, Getaroom, Priceline, Hotels.com... They're destroying each other and their own reputation. They have no skin in the game so to speak, and hotels are given free reign to run their names through the mud. They're a racket, a scam. An illusion of simplicity and ease of use, and hotels are catching up to their methods, rendering them obsolete again.

Airbnb is worse off than internet third parties.

Don't do it. In ten years, Airbnb will be legislated into oblivion if not obliterated by public opinion.

If someone's murdered in a Holiday Inn, that's just another Tuesday. If someone's murdered at an Airbnb, or for every hidden camera, for every unruly guest that wrecks a house...

I tried to tell all of you this during its IPO, but none of you listened to me because it was a bull market and all you saw was money, money, money, but if you want any money, money, money, don't buy Airbnb stock.

23 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm just going to remind everyone looking at all these bargains in the market right now...

Airbnb is not one of them.

If you're telling yourself it's down because the entire market is down, no.

It's down because it is destined for failure in a market that is going to destroy it.

It doesn't actually have any assets. None. Its entire business model is built around other people's stuff.

Expedia is the same thing, but Expedia is basing it off established, billion dollar companies with billions of dollars worth of physical assets as well as franchise fees from thousands of independently owned hotels.

Both Expedia and Airbnb are down close to 50% from their all time highs.

Marriot, IHG, Hilton and all other hotel chains - actual hotel chains with actual physical assets and actual monthly franchise fees from independently owned hotels - are down only 15-20%.

Expedia, Getaroom, Priceline, Hotels.com... They're destroying each other and their own reputation. They have no skin in the game so to speak, and hotels are given free reign to run their names through the mud. They're a racket, a scam. An illusion of simplicity and ease of use, and hotels are catching up to their methods, rendering them obsolete again.

Airbnb is worse off than internet third parties.

Don't do it. In ten years, Airbnb will be legislated into oblivion if not obliterated by public opinion.

If someone's murdered in a Holiday Inn, that's just another Tuesday. If someone's murdered at an Airbnb, or for every hidden camera, for every unruly guest that wrecks a house...

I tried to tell all of you this during its IPO, but none of you listened to me because it was a bull market and all you saw was money, money, money, but if you want any money, money, money, don't buy Airbnb stock.

I've always been fascinated with the "third party" business model that AirBnB and Uber offer, not to mention others like door dash.

It's certainly not a 1:1 correlation.

I see what you're saying and get it to a degree, but that said, places like VRBO/AirBnB typically offer significantly more "amenities" for people who factor in things like not eating out or doing most activities "on site" as opposed to paying the extra money. TBH, I think a lot of the standard "hotel" experiences are lost on Millennials and Zoomers since they basically are archaic in only offering a place to sleep with a mediocre TV experience compared to the others.

On 10/19/2022 at 8:44 AM, MWil23 said:

I've always been fascinated with the "third party" business model that AirBnB and Uber offer, not to mention others like door dash.

I see what you're saying and get it to a degree, but that said, places like VRBO/AirBnB typically offer significantly more "amenities" for people who factor in things like not eating out or doing most activities "on site" as opposed to paying the extra money. TBH, I think a lot of the standard "hotel" experiences are lost on Millennials and Zoomers since they basically are archaic in only offering a place to sleep with a mediocre TV experience compared to the others.

What people prefer may not matter though. As @Outpost31said, they’re going to be legislated out existence (and rightfully so) because they’re incredibly harmful to housing markets. 

25 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

What people prefer may not matter though. As @Outpost31said, they’re going to be legislated out existence (and rightfully so) because they’re incredibly harmful to housing markets. 

Oh I'm not necessarily saying that they won't be, and I'm 100% aware of how the homeless/other rates directly correlate to various takeovers from those entities, but at the same token, having a few 3rd party stocks on a "buy low" isn't a bad idea as long as you have a diversified and steady portfolio. Sure, you may take the L here, or who knows, maybe those companies evolve and merge or that legislation never gets passed or there are other clauses that keep them viable.

JMHO

On 10/19/2022 at 8:44 AM, MWil23 said:

I don't think these services are equivalent.

To me, Doordash/Uber (Eats, not the cab service part)/Expedia sites are similar, and AirBNB is different. The former group are aggregating services.

Expedia style sites killed the travel agent industry, but there has always been a market for airline comparisons and there's more to buying a plane ticket than sorting by the lowest price. Even if the names of the sites and companies change, the market for their service should be stable. Likewise, people would rather have a list of every restaurant they can get delivery from than having to remember. Doordash killed the menus hung up on our fridge, and even if they go out of business, those aren't coming back.

Uber (the cab service) and AirBNB are a closer comparison. They start off as a way for people to take their excess stuff - the nice car or the extra room in the house - and make less money than a hotel. Everybody wins, except the hotels or cabs in the area. And when it's a one-off service that takes up 5% or 10% of the market, it works. But the second people start seeing enough market share where they feel like customers are going to be dependent on it, the prices get jacked way up to nearly hotel/cab rates, so people go back to the hotels, and it folds. They only work as an alternative to the main option.

Long term, I think AirBNB would work really well as a way to displace the short term rental market or extended hotel stay market. Like 1-3 month kind of things. But they got greedy.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Long term, I think AirBNB would work really well as a way to displace the short term rental market or extended hotel stay market. Like 1-3 month kind of things. But they got greedy.

I didn't even realize that they'd even gone down the long term rental route and was always under the assumption they were somewhere in that 1 day to 2 week sweet spot for vacationers like me. Interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm shifting gears a bit. My Roth is 100% SCHD but I'm torn if I should do 100% VOO, 100% QQQ or a mix of those two in my taxable.

VGT is also in play because it has a cheaper expense ratio than QQQ and better returns, but it's even less diverse becsuse it is strictly a tech ETF whereas QQQ is mostly tech.

Guess the big question is with a stable dividend based ETF in my Roth, should I have riskier high growth based ETFs or another stable one in my taxable?

Edited by biggie.