Stock Investing

rickyt31

9 minutes ago, theJ said:

But i can get on this site, lol.

Can't let people get to facebook!

Of course not.

My personal vendetta with IT is that we have Youtube unblocked, but Spotify blocked. I write reports, so all I want is some background noise to get in the zone but apparently it would only be okay to listen to music if I also had to load a video and soak up 10x the bandwidth along with it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Of course not.

My personal vendetta with IT is that we have Youtube unblocked, but Spotify blocked. I write reports, so all I want is some background noise to get in the zone but apparently it would only be okay to listen to music if I also had to load a video and soak up 10x the bandwidth along with it.

Haha same here.

It used to be blocked, but then youtube became a hosting service for all sorts of professional videos too, so they had to unblock it.  So people do the same thing here.  I'm actually listing to youtube music as i type this.

A few years ago, i was somehow bypassed on the restricted sites list.  So i could get to any site.  But about a year ago they went to a different service that put me on the same level as everyone else.  Even more annoyingly, it's hosted on everyone's specific machine, so even when i'm home i can't get to those sites on my laptop. 

13 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Of course not.

Can you install remote desktop software by any chance? Probably not but if you can, install TeamViewer on your home PC, go to work, log in to your home PC and use Spotify from there. I do this from my work and download music I come across while at my office for my commute home

On 1/9/2020 at 10:05 PM, JTagg7754 said:

Can you install remote desktop software by any chance? Probably not but if you can, install TeamViewer on your home PC, go to work, log in to your home PC and use Spotify from there. I do this from my work and download music I come across while at my office for my commute home

Yeah that would be nice, but I can't install anything unfortunately. It's really not a big deal though, I can just listen to podcasts for white noise when I need to. 

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah that would be nice, but I can't install anything unfortunately. It's really not a big deal though, I can just listen to podcasts for white noise when I need to. 

Chrome Desktop? It's just an extension.

And yeah, I can feel that. Joe Rogan and I have become pretty close lately.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting on my wife's W2 and then my investment information from 2019 so that I can do our taxes. I don't claim any of my 3 kids...so I should be getting a nice return. With the itemized deductions being $24,400 for us married filing jointly, I guess I'm going to be clicking the "Standard Deduction" button this year.

22 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I'm waiting on my wife's W2 and then my investment information from 2019 so that I can do our taxes. I don't claim any of my 3 kids...so I should be getting a nice return. With the itemized deductions being $24,400 for us married filing jointly, I guess I'm going to be clicking the "Standard Deduction" button this year.

What? I thought you got more money back if you did Claim your kids?

Explain This To Me Like I Am Five The Office GIF

• Like 1

Just now, holt_bruce81 said:

What? I thought you got more money back if you did Claim your kids?

Explain This To Me Like I Am Five The Office GIF

Ok, here's the difference:

If you CLAIM your kids on your W4 through work, then you'll get more money back on your paycheck every pay all year, but won't get that in your annual tax return.

If you DO NOT CLAIM your kids on your W4 through work, then you'll get more money TAKEN OUT of your paycheck every pay all year, but then you can CLAIM THEM on your annual tax return, and get a nice return ($2,000 per kid). Some call this giving Uncle Sam an interest free loan of your money all year, which is partly true, but it also keeps me/most Americans (and I'm more disciplined than most) from overspending, then NOT getting a return (or worse, owing the government money).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@ramssuperbowl99 is there any reason at all to go "Itemized deduction" as opposed to "Standard deduction"? I didn't donate $24+K to charity, but I was a part time student with $750 worth of classes paid for and had 4 months of a mortgage payment in 2019.

Unless you have greater than $24k in deductions (mortgage interest is a big one), no.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Unless you have greater than $24k in deductions (mortgage interest is a big one), no.

So, those deductions would include TOTAL deductions, correct?

*Charitable

*Tuition

*Mortgage

...yeah, I'm not close to that.