Stock Investing

rickyt31

12 hours ago, Gmen said:

I'm a big fan of Tesla and Elon in general. I love the vision. I think the sky is the limit.

I'm not a believer in pot stocks. They have a supply and demand problem. Legal pot is apparently still twice as expensive as on the street, so many people will just buy the cheap stuff.

I agree that the market is overdue for a correction. But after 40% return this past year, I'd be okay with even 0% next year. I'm planning on holding my current stocks, but maybe not buying more until the correction.

I think it's important to note that the market as a whole is up about 30% YTD so while Tesla has performed well it's not that crazy of a return. I still think Tesla's a flashy investment choice without the financial data to support it's price at this point, but I suppose speculation is where you can hit big, you're just not the only one buying and driving the price up because you believe in their company.

Last year I lost $1200. This year I’m up $1760, so I’m +$560 overall in mutual funds and will roll it over for 2020. I’m hoping to get back to investing $400 monthly, as we are building a new house and renting right now, so we’ve had to adjust and take a yearlong hiatus.

2 hours ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

I think it's important to note that the market as a whole is up about 30% YTD so while Tesla has performed well it's not that crazy of a return. I still think Tesla's a flashy investment choice without the financial data to support it's price at this point, but I suppose speculation is where you can hit big, you're just not the only one buying and driving the price up because you believe in their company.

I know that investors that look at the finances don’t believe in Tesla, hence all the shorts. But, when a brand is that strong, and when there is so much momentum to save the environment (particularly among young people), I think it’s a good investment regardless. I think they’re going to be huge in China, where pollution is so bad they sometimes restrict private car usage. Tesla owners love their cars. My cousin was a big car enthusiast all his life and drove German luxury brands. Once he bought a Model 3, he said it’s very tough to go bad to regular cars - Instant acceleration. Not to mention the self driving potential. Again, I love Tesla. I don’t fanboy over many things, but Tesla is one of them. 

29 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I know that investors that look at the finances don’t believe in Tesla, hence all the shorts. But, when a brand is that strong, and when there is so much momentum to save the environment (particularly among young people), I think it’s a good investment regardless. I think they’re going to be huge in China, where pollution is so bad they sometimes restrict private car usage. Tesla owners love their cars. My cousin was a big car enthusiast all his life and drove German luxury brands. Once he bought a Model 3, he said it’s very tough to go bad to regular cars - Instant acceleration. Not to mention the self driving potential. Again, I love Tesla. I don’t fanboy over many things, but Tesla is one of them. 

I'm so torn on Tesla. I kept waiting for the dip, and bought when it dipped under $200 in the spring. Now I fight with the urge to hold vs get out while I can.

Tesla is tough.

The brand is incredible. The product is incredible. The vision is incredible.

The company and its management...…. not so much. I've long been of the opinion that Tesla is the gamechanger, but someone else will be the winner in the electric car market.

I hope I'm wrong. The world is a better place with a massively successful TSLA

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

I wonder how the people who had the market timed out and sold last December are feeling. 

This is why I personally just buy and hoard mutual funds and pretend like they don’t exist at all and won’t for another 30-35 years.

• Like 3

On 12/28/2019 at 12:31 PM, MWil23 said:

This is why I personally just buy and hoard mutual funds and pretend like they don’t exist at all and won’t for another 30-35 years.

I intentionally don't look at mine. I may look once a year or so just to see where I'm at and make sure i"m somewhat on track. But when I get around 5ish years from retirement, I"ll pay closer attention.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I intentionally don't look at mine. I may look once a year or so just to see where I'm at and make sure i"m somewhat on track. But when I get around 5ish years from retirement, I"ll pay closer attention.

That's the best way to do it. I look more frequently when the market is up, but even if its down you have to look for year end tracking purposes and then getting cash moved around for the 2020 retirement account deposits.

Speaking of which, the 401k limits got raised to $19,500 pre-tax, and the all sources limit is $57,000. IRA stays at $6k, and HSA got raised to $3,550 single/$7100 family. Update accordingly dudes.

When the dust settles with my new house, I’ll start buying up $400 a month of mutual funds and triple that when my wife goes back to work full time. I have my teacher pension, so the 401K isn’t as appealing/necessary. I’d love to get to the point where I could start rolling mutual fund end of year money into a ROTH IRA in the next 2-5 years. I’d be 35-38 starting a ROTH to go with my pension and mutual funds.

10 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That's the best way to do it. I look more frequently when the market is up, but even if its down you have to look for year end tracking purposes and then getting cash moved around for the 2020 retirement account deposits.

Speaking of which, the 401k limits got raised to $19,500 pre-tax, and the all sources limit is $57,000. IRA stays at $6k, and HSA got raised to $3,550 single/$7100 family. Update accordingly dudes.

Assuming genders are we?

Knuckle dragger.