Stock Investing

rickyt31

27 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Basically since mission started making his predictions equities have returned zero and now we stand on the brink of a full blown trade war, multiple currency crises, brexit, a global recession, and ww3.  But sure I was wrong to be pessimistic.

Mission also predicted that the S&P would go to 1500. Oops.

Even with Trump idiocy, brexit idiocy, a 5% correction because of the "impending recession signs", the market is still flat because corporate profits are obscenely high. 

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Mission also predicted that the S&P would go to 1500. Oops.

Even with Trump idiocy, brexit idiocy, a 5% correction because of the "impending recession signs", the market is still flat because corporate profits are obscenely high. 

1500 ain’t bad it could go to zero my man 

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Instead of a 50% drop there's been a 0% change. That's pretty far away from being right. I could have sarcastically responded to you that the S&P would go to 5,000 and still be closer.

Dude it’s returned 0% in a HEALTHY economy

imagine what happens when the recession finally hits 

3 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Dude it’s returned 0% in a HEALTHY economy

imagine what happens when the recession finally hits 

It's only returned 0% because we aren't counting dividends in the valuation when corporate profiles have been insane and there have been 5-10% of correction as a result of big orange idiocy.

On 8/16/2019 at 12:41 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's only returned 0% because we aren't counting dividends in the valuation when corporate profiles have been insane and there have been 5-10% of correction as a result of big orange idiocy.

I think we all know that political discussions are not allowed on this site.  You can discuss economics without giving us your opinion of our President.  I know it can be done, because I had to hold my tongue for 8 years during the previous regime.  

5 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I think we all know that political discussions are not allowed on this site.  You can discuss economics without giving us your opinion of our President.  I know it can be done, because I had to hold my tongue for 8 years during the previous regime.  

You are more than welcome to voice your displeasure over the 16.2% year over year returns from the Obama administration. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You are more than welcome to voice your displeasure over the 16.2% year over year returns from the Obama administration. 

There are PLENTY of things over which I could voice my displeasure, but this is not the place for it.

Edited by Uncle Buck

5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I’d argue a conversation about markets is inextricably linked to political factors. Sure, you can talk about purely investment strategies (ie invest in index funds), but I literally don’t know any investment advisors who make recommendations independent of what’s going on with the current political landscape both in the US and abroad. It’d be like saying you can talk about football teams, but you don’t need to mention defense. It’s possible, but you’re missing out on the bigger picture.

Could the conversation do without the name calling? Yes, most conversations on these subjects these days could, but it doesn’t negate the impact that actual policy decisions ( or political pressure or tweets) have had. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TLO said:

I’d argue a conversation about markets is inextricably linked to political factors. Sure, you can talk about purely investment strategies (ie invest in index funds), but I literally don’t know any investment advisors who make recommendations independent of what’s going on with the current political landscape both in the US and abroad. It’d be like saying you can talk about football teams, but you don’t need to mention defense. It’s possible, but you’re missing out on the bigger picture.

Could the conversation do without the name calling? Yes, most conversations on these subjects these days could, but it doesn’t negate the impact that actual policy decisions ( or political pressure or tweets) have had. 

The short term market volatility is being attributed to his tweets. Not to his policy, his tweets, specifically. I'm not even really insulting his policy (although his trade war is stupid and pointless). The manufacture crisis on twitter, watch market react, and then swoop in and say you saved the day when really you just ended the crisis you started MO that we see on a monthly basis takes its toll on the market, and we're trading 5-10% lower than we should be if we just ended this dumb trade war and he would shut up for a little bit.

• Like 1