Stock Investing

rickyt31

14 hours ago, TLO said:

I’d argue a conversation about markets is inextricably linked to political factors. Sure, you can talk about purely investment strategies (ie invest in index funds), but I literally don’t know any investment advisors who make recommendations independent of what’s going on with the current political landscape both in the US and abroad. It’d be like saying you can talk about football teams, but you don’t need to mention defense. It’s possible, but you’re missing out on the bigger picture.

Could the conversation do without the name calling? Yes, most conversations on these subjects these days could, but it doesn’t negate the impact that actual policy decisions ( or political pressure or tweets) have had. 

My point exactly.

The more I talk to people in finance, the more I'm told to maybe hold off on investing until the election next year. This seems short sided based on the time value of money. But this inverted curve, and the things I'm hearing do not inspire confidence to invest. Even if I'm getting a deep discount.

20 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The short term market volatility is being attributed to his tweets. Not to his policy, his tweets, specifically. I'm not even really insulting his policy (although his trade war is stupid and pointless). The manufacture crisis on twitter, watch market react, and then swoop in and say you saved the day when really you just ended the crisis you started MO that we see on a monthly basis takes its toll on the market, and we're trading 5-10% lower than we should be if we just ended this dumb trade war and he would shut up for a little bit.

I'm convinced that hannity is short selling companies/sectors, then going on a rant on his show, letting the tweets flow, and then raking in the cash 

At first I thought it was the president himself profiting off of the market volatility, but that is giving him too much credit. 

I have been buying Intuit and MasterCard.

26 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

The more I talk to people in finance, the more I'm told to maybe hold off on investing until the election next year. This seems short sided based on the time value of money. But this inverted curve, and the things I'm hearing do not inspire confidence to invest. Even if I'm getting a deep discount.

Imo the market will only nosedive after the election if it's not Trump getting reelected (spoiler alert, he is getting reelected). Otherwise I think we will continue down the path we are on. 

Cooperate profits soaring, low unemployment, strong currency. 

On 8/19/2019 at 3:02 AM, N4L said:

I'm convinced that hannity is short selling companies/sectors, then going on a rant on his show, letting the tweets flow, and then raking in the cash 

At first I thought it was the president himself profiting off of the market volatility, but that is giving him too much credit. 

I have been buying Intuit and MasterCard.

I'm not sure I buy it, but announcing new tariffs via Twitter 2 minutes after market futures close sure looks like there was an opportunity for you or everybody else who knew to get some quick market shorts in.

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Anyone have any thoughts on Pinterest stock?  Its barely hovering above its IPO price, but it has a huge amount of users and should eventually be quite profitable.  

As of late September, I know that it was highly valued and the 5 year projections were optimistic/high, but in October they were reluctant to reveal their projections/forecast, so it's a tough sell. If you are willing to play the long game over the next 3-5 years and perhaps even longer, it looks like a steal. If you want something to flip and sell, I'd look elsewhere.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

As of late September, I know that it was highly valued and the 5 year projections were optimistic/high, but in October they were reluctant to reveal their projections/forecast, so it's a tough sell. If you are willing to play the long game over the next 3-5 years and perhaps even longer, it looks like a steal. If you want something to flip and sell, I'd look elsewhere.

Ya I agree with you.  I believe they report again in first quarter, not sure whether to buy now or wait for the next report as it could go even lower.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Ya I agree with you.  I believe they report again in first quarter, not sure whether to buy now or wait for the next report as it could go even lower.  

I tend to be more conservative, so I'd say buy now/don't get greedy, but then again, what do I know? Maybe it does go lower. It's hard to say. How much lower though realistically would it go compared to it somehow going a bit too high to be worth?

JMHO I'm far from an expert and it's YOUR MONEY! LOL

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I tend to be more conservative, so I'd say buy now/don't get greedy, but then again, what do I know? Maybe it does go lower. It's hard to say. How much lower though realistically would it go compared to it somehow going a bit too high to be worth?

JMHO I'm far from an expert and it's YOUR MONEY! LOL

Well I'm also hesitant because I think we will hit a recession in the next 12 months lol.  Especially with the presidential election next year.  

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Well I'm also hesitant because I think we will hit a recession in the next 12 months lol.  Especially with the presidential election next year.  

Ah, gotcha. You and mission both then. I don't personally believe that at all, but to each their own. FWIW, I also look at investments in your classic "I'm 33 and not planning on selling anything for at least 27-30 years so it doesn't really matter as long as I invest heavily on the aggressive end in mutual funds thanks to @ramssuperbowl99" train/philosophy.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Ah, gotcha. You and mission both then. I don't personally believe that at all, but to each their own. FWIW, I also look at investments in your classic "I'm 33 and not planning on selling anything for at least 27-30 years so it doesn't really matter as long as I invest heavily on the aggressive end in mutual funds thanks to @ramssuperbowl99" train/philosophy.

@mission27 has said this over and over again, and we're coming up on a few years where he's missed, while the stock market is at an all time high.

The people who do this professionally, working 50 all the way to 100 hour weeks don't tend to guess right that much better than flipping a coin. Internet expects aren't any more likely to get that right.

39 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

@mission27 has said this over and over again, and we're coming up on a few years where he's missed, while the stock market is at an all time high.

The people who do this professionally, working 50 all the way to 100 hour weeks don't tend to guess right that much better than flipping a coin. Internet expects aren't any more likely to get that right.

I mean its been over 10 years, its going to happen sooner than later.