Stock Investing

rickyt31

2 hours ago, mission27 said:

Weird comment tbh

I thought it was pretty funny because he insinuated that you and TLO were both tops and bottoms in your relationship 

It was a funny play on words 

ALSO - you say you don't have any money in the market other than Gilead, which has preformed poorly. So calling the top/bottom does nothing for you 

Meanwhile glem out here day trading and profiting off short term volitilty 

Another side note, I turned my hpq options from 5 contracts into 15 contracts without adding very much additional capital. Just riding that volitilty wave. I can't wait for them to crush earnings on the back of tons of home printer purchases and the fact they have over 8 billion in the bank. Hopefully it hits 20

1 minute ago, N4L said:

ALSO - you say you don't have any money in the market other than Gilead, which has preformed poorly.

Up over 20% since the MoL bought

Also, just because I have no money in the market today doesn't mean I didnt make a **** ton of money both on the way up and down (I did)

On 5/8/2020 at 10:19 AM, Glen said:

Dumped Tesla at $813

Figuring it might go up more. But meh, I’m also expecting Elon to go crazy again & wanted to get out before that happened.

I bought an ETF with Tesla a while back and did well with that and I'm going to keep it.....almost went all in on Tesla when it was on the upswing before corona.  I would have lost a lot of money lol.  Unfortunately I invested most of my 2019 and 2020 IRA contributions right before corona hit but at least it's bounced back.

2 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I'm really glad I took a loan out of my 401k last year to pay for some home improvements.... Instead of losing out on gains, I avoided all the losses!

Depends what your money was in. But in all likelihood you would have only lost $ if you sold now.

With a 401k its highly likely you will recoup those "losses" once the market stabilizes & recovers.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Glen said:

Depends what your money was in. But in all likelihood you would have only lost $ if you sold now.

With a 401k its highly likely you will recoup those "losses" once the market stabilizes & recovers.

I know, but pulling out a chunk at the top and now reinvesting it back in at a low point is just good timing.

3 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I know, but pulling out a chunk at the top and now reinvesting it back in at a low point is just good timing.

sure but I was just under the assumption that the money you put in was used for home improvements. Not re-investment opportunities lol

1 hour ago, Glen said:

sure but I was just under the assumption that the money you put in was used for home improvements. Not re-investment opportunities lol

You have to put back the money you take out in a 401k or face some penalties. So he might have taken it out for repairs, then repaid it with different funds. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, theJ said:

You have to put back the money you take out in a 401k or face some penalties. So he might have taken it out for repairs, then repaid it with different funds. 

Are there no tax implications to pulling it out in the first place, or just if you don't re-contribute? I'm in Canada so not totally familiar with 401k/ Roth rules

5 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Are there no tax implications to pulling it out in the first place, or just if you don't re-contribute? I'm in Canada so not totally familiar with 401k/ Roth rules

In a 401k you can take out a loan, so as long as you pay it back (with interest) to yourself, there is no penalty. It is a good source of funds because you are paying the interest back to yourself, so the only cost is like a $25/year processing fee.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, theJ said:

Correct - sorry if that wasn't clear. I took the money out last year and now repaying it back in.

3 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

In a 401k you can take out a loan, so as long as you pay it back (with interest) to yourself, there is no penalty. It is a good source of funds because you are paying the interest back to yourself, so the only cost is like a $25/year processing fee.

How long do you have to repay? Does it tier based on the amount you take out?