How are those Rookies doing? Training Camp edition

Chiefer

1st(5) - Corey Davis - Was getting high praise early until the 

1st(18) - Adoree Jackson - Has been electric in camp as a returner and has had his ups and downs as a CB. Didn't do much in the game as a returner but was solid at CB.

3rd - Taywan Taylor - Has been the early star of camp. Has some issues with drops but shows big play ability. 

3rd - Jonnu Smith - Has made a good amount of plays in camp. It seems they're throwing a lot at him and want to line him up all over the field. 

5th - Jayon Brown - Has played extremely well early and played very good against the Jets. Looks to be the favorite for the nickel LB job.

6th - Corey Levin - Trash

7th - Brad Seaton - Trash

7th - Josh Caraway - Played very well in game 1 against the Jets but was against people that won't even make the team(so you know they're bad). Has been getting some praise in camp as well.

7th - Khalfani Muhammad - Was the favorite for the 3rd RB job coming in but he's been very blah and is getting outplayed by career journeyman and PS guys.

7 hours ago, Forge said:

5. Joe Williams, RB - Has not had a great camp. Has really been outperformed by UDFA Matt Breida throughout mini camps & TC, to be perfectly honest. But he had a really, really nice game against the chiefs, gashing them for a couple of decent runs. Of course, that was mostly mop up duty against third stringers and the like. I think it'll be important to get him in against first and second team defenses in the preseason before its over if they can. He could be the type that doesn't practice well. 

Interesting to hear about his camp struggles.  Out of all the RBs I saw so far this preseason him and Alvin Kumara have looked the best.  As you said it was against backups, but I hope they give him some reps against better talent this preseason...

13 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Deshaun Watson is the real deal. Every day, it sounds like he's going to start week one (and this is with Tom Savage having good days out in TC).

Watson is now splitting time with Tom Savage with the 1s. People are raving about his command of the offense. Tom Savage has been performing admirably, but it's only a matter of time. Many in attendance feel as if Watson will start Week 1.

13 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Julie'n Davenport is still picking up the nuances of the role and is clearly a project. This being said, he is dominant in 1v1 drills - he's reportedly locked up Jadevion Clowney in these drills with ease.

Davenport got time in with the 1s at LT during the joint practice with the Patriots. At times he showed flashes, at other times he looked lost. He's not projected to start (Duane Brown will be back by W1) but it's thought he's similar to Derek Newton in terms of progression - this time next year, he's probably starting at RT.

6 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Interesting to hear about his camp struggles.  Out of all the RBs I saw so far this preseason him and Alvin Kumara have looked the best.  As you said it was against backups, but I hope they give him some reps against better talent this preseason...

The one thing that he's apparently had issues with during camp is holding on to the football. And that will get you benched quicker than over ineffectiveness for sure. With regards to actually running the football, I don't want to say that he's been bad or anything, but he certainly hasn't had the splash runs and practices that Hyde and Breida have displayed (the latter has also shows a surprising willingness and effectiveness blocking, which isn't exactly something Williams is known for). So he hasn't gotten the hype of those guys. 

I forgot UDFAs.

Jonathan Moxey has made some plays at CB. But I don't know where he fits on the roster. We've got Grimes, VHIII, and Ryan Smith on the outside. And Elliot and McClain in the slot. Robinson is our special teams ace. But I don't know if we'd keep seven CBs. He's a practice squad guy at the very least.

Bobo Wilson has had his ups and downs at WR. But I think he's good enough to play the slot in the NFL. He probably needs to make a play as a returner to make the roster. But our fifth WR spot is wide open and he has a legit shot to take it. He's another guy who's gonna be on the practice squad at the very least.

We don't really have any other UDFA guys who have stood out.

I'll be lazy:

Jonathan Allen, DE, first round (No. 17 overall): Allen continues to work with the starters in the nickel package and has been rotating in their base front at end. At times in one-on-ones, Allen looks terrific -- displaying a combination of power and quickness. Both elements will enable him to contribute immediately, even if it’s just in the nickel. He's impressed the vets and coaches with his approach and work ethic. Allen also has displayed savvy when rushing the passer, understanding the depth with which he needs to rush. Not everyone gets that right away. He's also adept at knowing the nuances of playing against the run; he has a mature game.

Ryan Anderson, LB, second round (No. 49 overall): He hasn't been the flashiest guy, but Anderson will add a nasty demeanor when on the field. That's why they ignored his time in the 40-yard dash at the combine (4.78 seconds). He'll have to get used to all aspects of playing outside, but he already has shown -- in practices and the first preseason game -- an ability to set a hard edge, aggressively taking on lead blockers. The Redskins also have aligned him inside in nickel situations, allowing him another alley to rush. Anderson has worked mostly with the second defense. But with Trent Murphy done for the season and Preston Smith and Junior Galette sidelined, he'll get more chances with the starters.

Fabian Moreau, CB, third round (No. 81 overall): He was limited until Saturday while recovering from a torn pectoral muscle suffered in March. He likely would have been drafted a round or so higher if not for the injury. It'll be tough for Moreau to challenge immediately for anything other than a backup role, but in time that's what the Redskins expect he will do.

Samaje Perine, RB, fourth round (No. 114 overall): He's spent all summer as the No. 2 back behind Rob Kelley and there remains a gap between the two. Perine has to work on becoming more consistent in protection, more a function of experience. But coaches say he's still thinking too much when running the ball, and learning when to juke a guy vs. just run over him (his preferred method). Perine has shown he can run with good power, but unseating Kelley will take time. Perine dropped a pass in the preseason opener, but has shown soft hands in practice.

Montae Nicholson, S, fourth round (No. 123 overall): Like Moreau, he returned Saturday after limited work because of a torn labrum. Nicholson is considered a smart player, but after missing so much activity he's obviously behind. He looked smooth in his first practice and even had a nice pop on a running back. But it would be a lot for him to challenge for anything other than a role on special teams early in the season. Some of this depends on the health of starter Su'a Cravens and backup DeAngelo Hall, who remains on the physically unable to perform list.

Jeremy Sprinkle, TE, fifth round (No. 154 overall): Sprinkle's size (6-foot-5, 252 pounds) provides Washington with something it didn't have at the position. At times Sprinkle looks like a quality blocker, but he struggled a little with his technique in the opener. Coach Jay Gruden raved about him Sunday; he's not going to do that and then try to stash Sprinkle on the practice squad. Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis aren't going anywhere. Niles Paul can play fullback and is a leader on special teams. Veteran Derek Carrier has looked good in camp, but he might be the odd man out.

Chase Roullier, C, sixth round (No. 199 overall): Roullier has worked all camp as the No. 2 center and it's deserved. He's done a solid job, both in one-on-ones and team situations. Roullier has work to do, learning the pro game, but he's shown an ability to recover -- and anchor -- when initially beat off the line. He can play guard in a pinch, as he did for Wyoming, but he's spent almost all his time at center.

Click here for the rest: http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/32487/jonathan-allen-ryan-anderson-showing-redskins-what-they-hoped

Dolphins

1st  DE Charles Harris- Absolutely destroyed mini-camp and the earlier portions of training camp but has been quiet since then. Showed that great get-off and ability to get to the QB in the first pre-season game; he didn't have any sacks but some pressures. 

2nd LB Raekwon McMillan- Don't even want to talk about it :/ Out for the year with a torn ACL. Quickly developed and entrenched himself into the starting MLB position by the beginning of training camp. Pisses me off :(

3rd CB Cordrea Tankersley- RAW. That's the only way to describe him. Inconsistent for most of training camp with a good play here and there. He wasn't going to get much playing time this year but with our backup CB going down for the season he's most likely going to be the 4th or 5th CB.

5th OG Isaac Asiata- Another inconsistent player. There's no denying his talent as a run-blocker but he hasn't help up well pass-blocking; I'm talking about UDFA taking his lunch money. Decent play in the preseason game. 

5th DT Davon Godchaux- The biggest surprise more so because I didn't think he would be a facor. His name was rarely mentioned until about a month ago but he has had some dominant stretches since then. Potentially took the starting DT spot from third-year player Jordan Phillips. Wrecked Atlanta's interior OL and had a sack in the preseason game.

6th DT Vincent Taylor- Another surprise player. Was in a similar spot to Godchaux when training began. Has since cooled down but figures to be in the rotation. 

7th WR Isaiah Ford- Going to possibly be out for the season with knee surgery. Great. This was a blessing for him imo since he wasn't impressing early on. Now he gets to rehabilitate for a year. 

UDFAs:

WR Damore’ea Stringfellow- Pretty sure most of you saw his 99 yard TD catch last week. He's battling for the 6th WR spot.

OT Eric Smith- Impressive. Really got a chance to shine when our starting RT was out. Think he's a lock for the 53. 

CB/S Maurice Smith- Still don't know why this guy wasn't drafted. He's running with the backups but has gotten a snaps with the first team. Great preseason game and his utilization in that game is quite showing. Another lock for the 53.

LB Chase Allen- Might lighten the load of the McMillan loss. Ran with the second team for most of training camp and is always mentioned. Good preseason game. May not be a lock but he has a good chance to make the roster.

CB Torry McTyer- Really like this guy. You can tell that he's worked hard to get where he's at now. Ran with the second team throughout training camp and has had a couple of INTs. He also had a good game against ATL last week. Lock for the 53.

2nd Dalvin Cook - HB: Been getting off-the-charts reports just like all the other high end RBs in this draft class.  Looks natural as a pass catcher and runs very patiently behind his blockers. Unfortunately his pass pro has looked abysmal so far; although that's pretty common for rookie RBs.

3rd Pat Elflein - OL: I'm actually more excited for him than Cook. He looked like possibly our best OL (Riley Reiff wasn't playing,) in his very first NFL game. Obviously, our line doesn't set the bar high... but for a rook to outshine NFL vets in preseason game 1 is certainly a positive.

4th Jaleel Johnson - DT: Had a sack in preseason but haven't heard much else. Probably means he's not looking great.

4th Ben Gedeon - LB: Been getting first team reps, which in a Zimmer defense is good news. Zim won't play a rookie if he's not ready. (see: Laquon Treadwell)

5th Rodney Adams - WR: Hasn't done much as a receiver but will probably be our starting KR. Has a really cool vlog channel though.

6th Danny Isidora - OG: Looked good in preseason but against 2nd/3rd string DL. He's probably a lock to make the roster, which is all you can ask for a 6th round pick.

6th Bucky Hodges & Stacey Coley: Both have flashed and should at least make the practice squad.

7th Odenigbo DE - cut candidate.

Packers:

Kevin King - Got beat pretty badly in coverage a couple times and hasn't been practicing with the #1s most training camp, but he made some nice plays in tackling in his first preseason game.
Josh Jones - Played a lot in the first preseason game, has been learning multiple positions in training camp, good reports.
Montravius Adams - Hurt.
Vince Biegel - Hurt.
Jamaal Williams - Reportedly our best pass blocking RB on the roster (other than our FB), ran well enough in only preseason action.
DeAngelo Yancey - Made some nice plays late in his first preseason game.
Aaron Jones - Nothing good.

8 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

He started very slow in camp but has been picking it up now. It might be adjusting to the pros and the speed of the game. Like you said if you watch the preseason games he looked decent. He has speed like no other back on the team.

40 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

He started very slow in camp but has been picking it up now. It might be adjusting to the pros and the speed of the game. Like you said if you watch the preseason games he looked decent. He has speed like no other back on the team.

I think he and Breida are actually pretty comparable in the speed department. Though I thought I heard reporters say Breida was faster. He also timed faster in the leadup to the draft, though by a nominal amount that could just have been home cooking. 

Denver:

OT Garett Bolles:
From all the reports I've seen, he's been great improving each and every day. Coaches love his attitude and physicality. It still looks like he's learning technique especially with his hands. Von and Ray have ate him up a few times but they've both commented how he continues to learn and get better. I didn't like this pick at all but I am warming up to it.

DE DeMarcus Walker: Looks like he's been practicing with the DL for most of camp until we had injuries to Shaq and Ray which has made him split time with DL and LBers. From the looks of it, he has the motor and desire to win off snap but is lacking NFL body imo. He's also getting an MRI on his hip. :(

WR/KR Carlos Henderson: Probably my favorite draft pick and he's probably been the least impressive player in camp/pre-season. Apparently he's having a hard time running routes and catching passes. That is not good. In his first pre-season game, he muffed two kick offs. Some are speculating that it's due to a thumb injury which he recently had surgery to repair torn ligaments. He'll probably be an IR stash with so many wideouts on our roster: DT, Sanders, Fowler, Taylor, Latimer, Raymond and McKenzie.

CB Brendan Langley: Haven't heard or seen much of him which is probably a good thing. I have heard he's athletic and his size has made it difficult for our wideouts. He's fortunate to have the No Fly Zone to teach him a thing or two. He's definitely a project, probably plays more next year.

TE Jake Butt: He's going to be an IR or PUP player due to torn ACL in college. Love this pick and hoping he can become the starter when healthy.

WR/PR Isaiah McKenzie: Apparently he's been the talk of camp. Most of us fans thought this pick was a head scratcher and most compared him to Trindon Holliday before even seeing him on the field. This dude is electric but..he's 5'7 173 lbs.. Our new ST coach Brock Olivo loves this kid.

RB De’Angelo Henderson: Watch out for this kid. He honestly looks like MJD out there, granted it's camp and pre-season but he's much more exciting than our starting RB in CJ Anderson and our potential 3rd down back in Jamaal Charles. He may win the back up job with Booker injured.

QB Chad Kelly: He'll be an IR stash which is fine because we can put our other back up QB on the PS. Most bronco fans think he'll be legit, I'm not holding my breath. 

Moxey just killed any chance he had of making the roster after his performance last night. He's strictly a practice squad guy now. 

However, CB Maurice Fleming looked pretty good. He broke up the game-tying TD pass on third down at the end of the game. And he looked decent in coverage throughout the game. He's been behind Moxey in terms of making plays at practice. But he might have moved up after last night.

Beckwith balled last night; two tackles for loss and another couple big hits. It was a much, much better game than a week ago.

Justin Evans made a few special teams tackles.

Bobo just got outplayed by Reedy. So he's fallen a bit behind.

McNichols looked great running the ball last night. I thought he looked better than Quizz and Sims.

Falcons:

Takkarist McKinley hasn't debut in pre-season yet, but rumor has it that he may play this week, against Steelers, but in training camp, he has been getting praise.

Duke Riley looks like a vet out there.

Sean Harlow needs more time and hasn't looked great, neither looked too bad.

Damontae Kazee got a hot start right now, could end up being a steal.

Brian Hill looked bad out there, hopefully it's just jitters, but if he doesn't pick it up this pre-season, he will be cut.

Eric Saubert hasn't really looked great out there as well.

32 minutes ago, BladeKor said:

Falcons:

Damontae Kazee got a hot start right now, could end up being a steal.

Glad to see that. Loved him as an Aztec, always thought he was overlooked considering he put up good numbers. Glad he went to you guys, can stay in the Black and Red!

Archived