How are those Rookies doing? Training Camp edition

Chiefer

Gerald Everett- Made a nice play vs Oak in week 2 of Preaseason for 25 yards catching the ball out of the backfield. Showed his elusiveness and potential to be a Jordan Reed Type player.

Cooper Kupp- Not going to beat you over the head with more on him, but he should be in contention for OROY if he catches 80+ balls as us Rams fans are projecting. Goff's safety net.

John Johnson- Will contribute on special teams. Came up with a pick against Goff in practice last week. I see him being groomed more for next year if we can't resign Joyner or Mo Alexander.

Josh Reynolds- Came up with a big TD vs Oak last week. Finally healthy and showing well in camp. I can see him being our #4-#5 WR this year.

Samson Ebukam-Been injured. Nothing to share

Tanzel Smart- He might actually end up playing significant time at DE for us with Easley out for the year and Donald holding out.

Sam Rogers- Will lock up a roster spot as the sole FB on the team. First guy on the practice field every day. Will occasionally catch passes out of the backfield and pick up a first down.

Ejuan Price- Will make the roster and come in as a 3rd down rusher. Played well in the first preseason game.

On 8/22/2017 at 9:51 AM, EliteTexan80 said:

Deshaun Watson had a rough game stat-wise (3-10, 102 yards) but fell victim to about three drops. He added another TD run on a nice bootleg; He shook a defender who had him dead to rights and hop-stepped into the end zone. The debate for week one still remains, but odds are that Tom Savage will get the nod.

Welp, that debate is over. O'Brien confirms that Tom Savage is the starter.

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I can only go off of boxscores - how has Brock looked so far? The numbers are pretty bad.

He has looked as the numbers.
He doesn't read defences well, if his first read isn't open, he runs.
His throws are off target.
He throws the ball low. 

14 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

He has looked as the numbers.
He doesn't read defences well, if his first read isn't open, he runs.
His throws are off target.
He throws the ball low. 

Sounds about right. With the Texans, he threw the ball high - right to an awaiting S.

Hate to lose the 2nd rounder, but you guys did us a major solid on that. It's honestly a win/win - you guys got a ton of draft capital, we got to wash our hands of that guy, and you guys don't even have to play him.

Thanks!

21 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I want Kizer to start. Matt Dayes has been really impressive. Myles has impressed me at times. Jabrill Peppers has been great on special teams. Njoku hasn't done anything.

tbf, Njoku would have had a deep TD catch if Kizer didn't over throw him in the Giants game.  Njoku beat his defender and had several steps on him...

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Sounds about right. With the Texans, he threw the ball high - right to an awaiting S.

Hate to lose the 2nd rounder, but you guys did us a major solid on that. It's honestly a win/win - you guys got a ton of draft capital, we got to wash our hands of that guy, and you guys don't even have to play him.

Thanks!

It is a big problem, when your fundamental flaw as a QB is passing. But no trouble, personally I thought we should of tried to get more off you, like an additional 3rd or 4th. My concern is that we have wasted too much time on Brock, Kizer and Kessler both could of had more first team reps if he wasn't here. 

Derek Barnett is good at football. Kid could be great.

Sidney Jones is still rehabbing.

Rasul Douglas gets a lot of practice love and has done ok in the games.

Mack Hollins has impressed everyone since day 1.

Donnel Pumphrey hasn't looked that great. Might need a red shirt year.

Shelton Gibson has been bad. Might not make the team.

Elijah Qualls hasn't done well in practice but has played better in the games. 

2 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

How much playing time do you think he'll get?  Seems like the Colts will feed Gore and utilize Turbin as well.  (This question may or may not be fantasy related)...

If he is serviceable in protection, he will get reps quicker, but getting chunk yards is something neither Turbin or Gore are known for. If either current starter gets injured, I would nab him quick for an FF league. 

Dalvin Cook and Pat Elflein both should be opening day starters. They've both stood out so far. Murrays injury has opened the door for Cook to get the bulk of the workload.

Jaleel Johnson has also had a nice camp and excellent preseason. I think it's just a matter of time before he's starting at UT. Datone Jones and Tom Johnson aren't everydown UTs and last year's UT Shamar Stephen is more of a NT.

Ben Gedeon has been getting first team reps at OLB, good chance he's the third LB opening day.

Rodney Adams and Stacey Coley have looked decent at WR, but haven't impressed on ST. Both should make the roster with Floyds suspension.

cant say much else about the other rookies. I'm curious to see how Bucky Hodges will be used.

@vikingsrule

You forgot to mention Tashawn Bower, who's been a nightmare to face off against in preseason. Granted, its vs guys who are 2nd/3rd stringers, but I don't think we can afford to put him on PS. Still needs technical refinement, but the ability is there.

Hodges is a good receiver, especially out wide, but apparently his in line play and blocking need more work. He will make the roster though.

Danny Isodara moved up to second string and has been okay. He'll make the roster because of that, and because TJ Clemmings is awful.

Ifeadi Odenigbo has shown some flash, but our DE depth is deep. Likely PS material who hopefully won't be stolen away. Currently battling Stephen Weatherly for a roster spot.

I had no idea who Eric Wilson was, but he looks like a Zimmer SLB. Flies around the field, good tackler, solid instincts. He'll be Anthony Barr's backup this season.

Jack Tocho will be a PS candidate. I don't think he's anything special.

Archived