Why didn't the 2007 Indianapolis Colts get more respect nationally and repeated? A Peyton-Eli SB would have been good

Championshiporbust

They were pretty clearly the 2nd or 3rd best team in the league.  That first brady vs Manning matchup was one of the most hyped games I've ever seen and it actually lived up to the hype.  Another Manning vs Brady AFC Championship Game was being hyped before the chargers outed them in the divisional, but before that I thought they were hyped a good deal.  People probably just didn't notice because the 16-0 Patriots were even more hyped, and understandably so

A lot of reasons

1. The Patriots were clearly the best team and it wasn’t close. They started the season murdering teams like the Chargers who were a juggernaught the previous year and the Cowboys who were the top NFC team. They had a QB and a WR both on pace to break historic records who eventually did. And honestly after the Colts game every game the Pats had was an event because the perfect season was in play. That was clearly the storyline of the NFL. Everyone knew the Colts were at best a second banana

2. Marvin Harrison went down that year and people kinda knew that was going to make them very vulnerable come playoff time. The Colts were known as a high powered offense and they just lost their marquee WR. They really just didn’t have much momentum going into the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Classic said:

You should be asking why didn't the 2009 Colts win the Super Bowl. Started out 14-0 and chicken out from chasing history and going undefeated to sit out the final 2 games. SMH never been more upset at the Colts. 

I wasnt upset at them for sitting their starters after Wes Welker tore his ACL the following week in a meaningless game for the Patriots.  I was more upset that Peyton stared down Reggie Wayne on that 3rd and 5 in the Super Bowl because that cost them the game

2 hours ago, Championshiporbust said:

The 2007 Indianapolis Colts season was a failure because they failed to repeat and Manning and Dungy were back to the "can't win SBs".

The Colts had the AFC's second seed, the cards were there for them to have another showdown with the 17-0 Patriots. 

What happened? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Indianapolis_Colts_season

I don't recall this... the AFC, hell the entire NFL, was the Patriots to lose after they beat the Colts IN Indy. By midseason it was clear we were witnessing an all time great team. Maybe there was disappointment when they got upset by the Chargers, but I on't think them not winning it all in 2007 revive the "Peyton can't win SB" narrative when he just did it a year prior...

12 minutes ago, Classic said:

You should be asking why didn't the 2009 Colts win the Super Bowl. Started out 14-0 and chicken out from chasing history and going undefeated to sit out the final 2 games. SMH never been more upset at the Colts. 

I really like Peyton Manning and would usually root on the Colts depending on the game but never again after this. They forfeited 16-0 to rest six quarters (when resting had always worked against them anyways). 

Championships are #1 priority, but you also have a chance to be the most immortalized team in the history of your sport at 19-0. You play the game to be remembered. You play to have your team stiched into the history books. I was shocked when they pulled out their starters against the Jets. The disgust on Peyton Mannings face was priceless. I never rooted for the Colts again in any game after that day. 

2 hours ago, Championshiporbust said:

The 2007 Indianapolis Colts season was a failure because they failed to repeat and Manning and Dungy were back to the "can't win SBs".

The Colts had the AFC's second seed, the cards were there for them to have another showdown with the 17-0 Patriots. 

What happened? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Indianapolis_Colts_season

Every season you don't win a SB is a failure.

21 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

I wasnt upset at them for sitting their starters after Wes Welker tore his ACL the following week in a meaningless game for the Patriots.  I was more upset that Peyton stared down Reggie Wayne on that 3rd and 5 in the Super Bowl because that cost them the game

That SB was over after the Saints got the 2nd half onside kick, the whole momentum swung the Saints way. Injuries happen you should still try to win every game you can and I thought it showed how cowardly the Colts coaching staff was to not go for history. As for the Patriots, they weren't there usual self that year with Brady off a acl injury and them getting blown out in New Orleans earlier in the year. The Ravens gave them their worst playoff lost in the Brady era.

9 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I really like Peyton Manning and would usually root on the Colts depending on the game but never again after this. They forfeited 16-0 to rest six quarters (when resting had always worked against them anyways). 

Championships are #1 priority, but you also have a chance to be the most immortalized team in the history of your sport at 19-0. You play the game to be remembered. You play to have your team stiched into the history books. I was shocked when they pulled out their starters against the Jets. The disgust on Peyton Mannings face was priceless. I never rooted for the Colts again in any game after that day. 

Same here, I remember Rodney Harrison going off on the Colts on NBC's halftime show. It was talked about alot with some agreeing with the Colts.

Just now, Classic said:

That SB was over after the Saints got the 2nd half onside kick, the whole momentum swung the Saints way. Injuries happen you should still try to win every game you can and I thought it showed how cowardly the Colts coaching staff was to not go for history. As for the Patriots, they weren't there usual self that year with Brady off a acl injury and them getting blown out in New Orleans earlier in the year. The Ravens gave them their worst playoff lost in the Brady era.

I actually wouldnt say that because the Saints had to play a perfect game and get a surprise onside kick just to be where they were at in the 4th quarter.  The Colts moved the ball really well on them that game, it's just that their last 3 drives ended with a missed field goal, pick 6, and failed 4th down inside the Saints' 5 yard line.  If Manning doesnt throw the pick 6 then we might have had the stage set for one of the greatest Super Bowl endings of all time.  As for the Pats, I agree they werent really their usual self but you have to think that having Wes Welker with both ACLs in there would have made a pretty significant difference in the playoff game

11 hours ago, lancerman said:

A lot of reasons

1. The Patriots were clearly the best team and it wasn’t close. They started the season murdering teams like the Chargers who were a juggernaught the previous year and the Cowboys who were the top NFC team. They had a QB and a WR both on pace to break historic records who eventually did. And honestly after the Colts game every game the Pats had was an event because the perfect season was in play. That was clearly the storyline of the NFL. Everyone knew the Colts were at best a second banana

2. Marvin Harrison went down that year and people kinda knew that was going to make them very vulnerable come playoff time. The Colts were known as a high powered offense and they just lost their marquee WR. They really just didn’t have much momentum going into the playoffs. 

They beat the Chargers badly, but they got them earlier in the year when the Chargers traditionally suck (until this year). The Colts could have defeated the Pats that year in the regular season, and they would have had a good chance against them in the AFC Title Game.

Also, Marvin Harrison was part of the reason why they lost to SD. In that playoff game, they didn't throw to Harrison on their first drive, and they went down and scored to make it 7-0. Then, after a Kelvin Hayden INT, the Colts were moving it again until Peyton threw it to Marvin for the first time. He had the ball taken away. That was a huge play for SD. If the Colts would have went down and scored another TD, they may have made it a blowout.

Harrison had several issues in playoff games. People want to blame Peyton for their choking, but Marvin Harrison and the special teams' failures seem to get ignored in Indy's 2000's playoff short-comings.

Archived