2019 Draft - Edge Rushers

Forge

27 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Thoughts on Montez Sweat?

I really like him. I love ascending prospects, and physically, few guys compare with him... Myles Garret? Jadeveon Clowney? Both those guys were sure shot #1 overalls...Plus he was productive in the SEC and has shown a great motor and toughness. Honestly he has it all... my biggest concerns with him are medically and character wise after getting kicked out for weed as a freshman. If he checks those boxes, he's my 2nd edge after Bosa, but probably has an even higher ceiling than Bosa though a lower floor as he does need some refinement and coaching.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BucShot said:

He's getting bigger...

No, he put on weight for the Combine. He looked extremely thin during his career at FSU. Why was he never able to carry more weight? People made similar assumptions about Randy Gregory, Barkevious Mingo, and Leonard Floyd. None of them were ever able to carry much more weight than they did in college. We can't just assume that Burns is going to be able to keep that weight on. He hasn't shown that ability to this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BucShot said:

He's getting bigger...

I liked him a lot initially, but I cooled down on him watching his tape. Relentless motor & has a nice snàtch move, but can’t bend(or he’s just not at it at all) & had too many clean up/coverage sacks for my liking. Top 10 is too rich for my taste. Got him behind Bosa, Burns, & Allen, though.

Edited by ClutchDJ

7 hours ago, N4L said:

I'm sure you've posted it somewhere in here, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on Josh Allen @jrry32

Also, where is Joe Jackson getting drafted? 

I'd guess 3rd round on Jackson. On Allen, I don't have a scouting report at this time. I've seen him from watching SEC football, but I'm unlikely to take the time to fully evaluate him because there's no chance he's available in the late first round.

Brian Burns reminds me of Danielle Hunter. He doesn't have the extreme low body fat % that Hunter has, but they tested similarly at a similar size so it doesn't really matter. Go back and watch Hunter at LSU, then watch Burns at FSU. Pretty similar. 

It is fairly routine for NFL players to gradually get larger and stronger throughout their NFL careers, and its probably safe to assume that someone entering the league at barely 21 years old will get at least a little bit larger in the NFL. The only concern about his weight would be his ability to hold up against the run, but Burns has a really long wingspan, which will help him take on and shed blockers. Where he lacks in weight he should be able to make up in length. 

30 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

Brian Burns reminds me of Danielle Hunter. He doesn't have the extreme low body fat % that Hunter has, but they tested similarly at a similar size so it doesn't really matter. Go back and watch Hunter at LSU, then watch Burns at FSU. Pretty similar. 

It is fairly routine for NFL players to gradually get larger and stronger throughout their NFL careers, and its probably safe to assume that someone entering the league at barely 21 years old will get at least a little bit larger in the NFL. The only concern about his weight would be his ability to hold up against the run, but Burns has a really long wingspan, which will help him take on and shed blockers. Where he lacks in weight he should be able to make up in length. 

I don't see it. Hunter was a stout run defender in college with powerful hands. He also looked to play at around the same weight as his combine weight. He was a guy who was easy to project as having growth potential due to his frame and natural strength. The trouble with Hunter was projecting his pass rush potential. He had all the tools, but he never put them together in college. Burns is polished for his age as a pass rusher. That's not my concern. My concern is his skinny frame and his lack of a power game. He's a pillow puncher who lacks functional strength. He's a serviceable run defender, but he doesn't have any ability to go through blockers at this point. And it's hard to project what sort of weight he can carry because he played so light at FSU (I think somewhere between 225 and 235 pounds).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Thoughts on Montez Sweat?

On paper, he's just the type of player we need to man the Raiders DE spot, luckily he's shown he's got talent on the football field too.

Great length and good strength, he uses that length well to keep tackles off him and can jarr with the punch. Sure, he's not the most flexible but he's fast (that 40 surprised most people I think), powerful, uses leverage extremely well and his hands are good. He anchors really well against tackles and can set the edge which is something we'll look for I'm sure. He's a pure 4-3 DE to me as he's not a coverage guy at all. 

I rate him as the best DE after Bosa for our specific scheme.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I don't see it. Hunter was a stout run defender in college with powerful hands. He also looked to play at around the same weight as his combine weight. He was a guy who was easy to project as having growth potential due to his frame and natural strength. The trouble with Hunter was projecting his pass rush potential. He had all the tools, but he never put them together in college. Burns is polished for his age as a pass rusher. That's not my concern. My concern is his skinny frame and his lack of a power game. He's a pillow puncher who lacks functional strength. He's a serviceable run defender, but he doesn't have any ability to go through blockers at this point. And it's hard to project what sort of weight he can carry because he played so light at FSU (I think somewhere between 225 and 235 pounds).