The Ultimeat Showdown! Butcher Battle Round 4 and Don't Be Fowl Round 2 posted in OP on 11/08

Dome

Just now, pwny said:

Pasteurization is the process of heat processing a liquid or a food to kill pathogenic bacteria to make the food safe to eat. The chart and section about pasteurization covers that.

Yeah, I got it.  Interesting, I will try that next time.  But, tell more about sous vide thing?  What's that for?

1 minute ago, Dome said:

My chicken is never dry. You must suck at cooking even with the stick that does it for you.

Keep telling yourself that, honey. You can't stop fats from liquifying and releasing at 150°. It's literally impossible. You can slow down or impede the process, but you will always have dryer chicken than that cooked below 150°. It's literally a scientific fact.

1 minute ago, jonu62882 said:

Yeah, I got it.  Interesting, I will try that next time.  But, tell more about sous vide thing?  What's that for?

I wouldn't recommend trying anything below 155° unless you have something that can maintain exact temperatures for the required time.

Sous vide is cooking food in a water bath (with a sealed bag between the food and water). Using this process, you can cook foods to exact temperatures with identical temperatures throughout the food. Because you set the temperature of the water to an exact temperature, the food gets to that exact temperature and never goes past it. And just like the pasteurization process, proteins also break as a function of time vs temperature, so using the right temperature for the right amount of time, you can literally make a steak so tender that you can cut it with a fork. 

WlieoC1.gif

17 minutes ago, Dome said:

Problem is.... it’s still just freakin chicken when you’re done.

if I’m settling for chicken, it’s because I can cook it fast 

Guarantee this opinion would change if you had some chicken done this way. I'm not kidding when I say that this completely changed how I view eating chicken. Like I legit enjoy chicken in the same way I enjoy a great steak, a nice fresh tuna, or a rack of lamb now.

1 minute ago, pwny said:

Guarantee this opinion would change if you had some chicken done this way. I'm not kidding when I say that this completely changed how I view eating chicken. Like I legit enjoy chicken in the same way I enjoy a great steak, a nice fresh tuna, or a rack of lamb now.

sous vide isn't for peasants 

18 minutes ago, pwny said:

I wouldn't recommend trying anything below 155° unless you have something that can maintain exact temperatures for the required time.

Sous vide is cooking food in a water bath (with a sealed bag between the food and water). Using this process, you can cook foods to exact temperatures with identical temperatures throughout the food. Because you set the temperature of the water to an exact temperature, the food gets to that exact temperature and never goes past it. And just like the pasteurization process, proteins also break as a function of time vs temperature, so using the right temperature for the right amount of time, you can literally make a steak so tender that you can cut it with a fork. 

WlieoC1.gif

giphy.gif

50 minutes ago, pwny said:

Keep telling yourself that, honey. You can't stop fats from liquifying and releasing at 150°. It's literally impossible. You can slow down or impede the process, but you will always have dryer chicken than that cooked below 150°. It's literally a scientific fact.

Well then I’m defying science. I always have juicy chicken. It’s never been dried out.

Slamming the table screaming “but look what it says online, your chicken is dry!” Only goes so far when I know it’s incorrect. 

30 minutes ago, pwny said:

Guarantee this opinion would change if you had some chicken done this way. I'm not kidding when I say that this completely changed how I view eating chicken. 

You 2+ hour chicken would change my opinion that I will only bring home chicken if I can cook it fast cause there’s a time crunch? That’s the only time I’m makin it. 

31 minutes ago, pwny said:

I legit enjoy chicken in the same way I enjoy a great steak, a nice fresh tuna, or a rack of lamb now.

Maybe you should stop focusing on chicken and get better at cooking the other stuff. There’s your problem!

On 10/18/2018 at 1:07 PM, Dome said:

Matchup 1 - #1 Beef Short Loin vs #8 Ground Beef
Matchup 2 - #2 Beef Rib vs #7 Beef Round
Matchup 3 - #3 Beef Brisket vs #6 Beef Flank/Plate
Matchup 4 - #4 Beef Sirloin vs #5 Beef Chuck

Matchup 5 - #1 Pork Shoulder vs #8 Pork Butt, Leg, Shank, Hocks
Matchup 6 - #2 Sausage (Bulk) vs #7 Pork Tenderloin
Matchup 7 - #3 Pork Ribs vs #6 Pork Loin
Matchup 8 - #4 Pork Belly vs #5 Sausage (Links)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jonu62882 said:

giphy.gif

You just need to get a sous vide. They sell them on Amazon and most brick and mortar stores that sell kitchen appliances; Target, Walmart, Best Buy. I have the Anova bluetooth+wifi one that I got for $70 on Prime Day. Best Buy has the Bluetooth model on sale for $85 right now. But any highly rated brand/model should do. You don't need to get one of the high end models unless you cook a lot of food at once for parties or whatever. 

You'll need a vessel for the water. A big pot works fine enough, though I do suggest picking up a plastic bin for it eventually, as the insulation helps with temperature and water loss.

Get yourself freezer bags and learn the water displacement method. You can use vacuum seal bags if you already have then or switch to them when you really get into it. They also make reusable vinyl bags, but I have no idea how good they are. When you cook, the key is to make sure the food and anywhere the food touches is fully submerged so that it can pasteurize. Anything that isn't underwater, you have to assume is not pasteurized. Using spoons or something else to weigh it down can help if you don't get all the air out and see it floating.

Serious Eats is an incredible site for learning how to cook in general, but they also have a good library of sous vide recipes. I don't know if all their cooks are really good, but I would vouch for any recipe or technique that Kenji Lopez-Alt uses. Even if you don't do sous vide, I'd suggest picking up his book; it doesn't really discuss sous vide much at all, but really helps with learning the scientific side of cooking, which has made me a far, far better cook in general.

Sous vide doesn't create a crust on food, so you'll also want to make sure with anything that has a crust (steaks, chicken with skin, etc.), you have something that allows you to add it. A smoking cast iron pan is the best indoor technique and a grilling chimney provides the best method for outdoor cooking. A short time on each side will create a crust that you're accustomed to.

You'll also want to make sure you have an instant read thermometer just so you can occasionally check the temperature calibration. It's not necessary to do every time you use it, but checking it occasionally and when you first use it will help make sure you're not under or overcooking food.

9 minutes ago, Dome said:

Well then I’m defying science. I always have juicy chicken. It’s never been dried out.

Slamming the table screaming “but look what it says online, your chicken is dry!” Only goes so far when I know it’s incorrect. 

You're literally saying you know better than one of the most respected chefs on the planet, who has won the James Beard Award for culinary education based on this very science you're claiming you know better than.

But you totally know your chicken is juicier than chicken you've never had that's scientifically proven to be juicier because you say so. Okay, man. Okay.

11 minutes ago, Dome said:

You 2+ hour chicken would change my opinion that I will only bring home chicken if I can cook it fast cause there’s a time crunch? That’s the only time I’m makin it. 

Am I saying that having chicken that tastes entirely different than any chicken you've ever had and is juicier than is scientifically possible at higher temperatures will make you believe that chicken is worth more than just being used when there isn't time for other things? Absolutely.

18 minutes ago, pwny said:

You'll also want to make sure you have an instant read thermometer just so you can occasionally check the temperature calibration. It's not necessary to do every time you use it, but checking it occasionally and when you first use it will help make sure you're not under or overcooking food.

From what I've read, I though the sous vide prevents this from occurring by basically dumbing the process down (assuming you cook to at least the minimum time frame).

On 10/18/2018 at 10:07 AM, Dome said:

PHASE 1 - BUTCHER BATTLE
Round 1 - 16 Contestants - Double Elimination 

Vote for one winner in each matchup!

Matchup 1 - #1 Beef Short Loin vs #8 Ground Beef
Matchup 2 - #2 Beef Rib vs #7 Beef Round
Matchup 3 - #3 Beef Brisket vs #6 Beef Flank/Plate
Matchup 4 - #4 Beef Sirloin vs #5 Beef Chuck

Matchup 5 - #1 Pork Shoulder vs #8 Pork Butt, Leg, Shank, Hocks
Matchup 6 - #2 Sausage (Bulk) vs #7 Pork Tenderloin
Matchup 7 - #3 Pork Ribs vs #6 Pork Loin
Matchup 8 - #4 Pork Belly vs #5 Sausage (Links)

Yea I realize I double voted on one, I couldn’t choose. Both good.

Edited by Slappy Mc