Week 7 GDT

SBLIII

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

And it's not possessed until a foot is on the ground.  Otherwise, a ball caught in the air in the end zone and then the player is pushed out the sideline before he can get two feet on the ground inbounds would count as a TD, too.  And it hasn't... multiple times this season.

I think you're misunderstanding the rule. You can possess the ball without your feet ever touching the ground. When a player is pushed out of bounds before he can get both feet down, it's incomplete because he was out of bounds, not because he didn't have possession.

In this case, forward progress places the ball at the moment he caught it. That's where he gained possession, not when he lands. Landing without losing the ball only establishes that you had possession in the first place, it doesn't mark the moment that you gained possession.

1 minute ago, rich homie said:

I think you're misunderstanding the rule. You can possess the ball without your feet ever touching the ground. When a player is pushed out of bounds before he can get both feet down, it's incomplete because he was out of bounds, not because he didn't have possession.

In this case, forward progress places the ball at the moment he caught it. That's where he gained possession, not when he lands. Landing without losing the ball only establishes that you had possession in the first place, it doesn't mark the moment that you gained possession.

Forward progress is negated when he was following a trajectory that was no longer forward.  He was coming back to the ball.  If nothing else, it's an abnormality in the rule that needs to be clarified and corrected.  I'm not disagree wholly with the overturn, but stating that this is yet another case of interpretation of "possession" and "catch" rules by the referees that shouldn't need to be there and creates gray area where there is reason to question the call.  Had it been called a TD from the get-go, I'd agree there was absolutely no reason to overturn that call.  But that wasn't the case.

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Taking the ball out of Brees' hands late in a game on 3rd and 4 is so stupid to me. Sometimes coaches get too cute for their own good.

That's kind of Sean Payton's pedigree now, it seems.  The savvy risks taken in that Super Bowl went to his head.

Archived