Mid-Season (Just About) QB Power Rankings

DoleINGout

28 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Not really true, that "awful" game produced 400 yards and 3 TDs.

But if he had decent accuracy he would've had 450-500 passing yards and at least 3 passing TDs and no picks. Instead he completed 52% of his passes and was picked twice against a mediocre secondary that dropped two picks in the end zone. Sure, the box score looks good, but in the actual game as a passer he looked awful if he wasn't dumping off 10-yard hitch routes to Trey Burton.

1. Mahones - Can't believe this is his first year, he already looks like the best QB in the NFL. Clear cut MVP at this point.

2. Brees - People talk about Brady still doing it at 41.... well Brees is only a year or so younger and not looking his age either. He could play just as long as Brady if not longer (if he wants to).

3. Rodgers - Still Rodgers, what can you say.

4. Brady - Had some stumbles earlier in the season with his lack of WRs but now that Edelman and Gordon are playing he's back to his normal self.

5. Rivers - Holy resurgence, another ageless wonder.

Honestly #3-#7 could include any of Ryan, Wilson, Cousins, and Goff. All playing great.

QB play this year is insane, right up there with 2011.

3 hours ago, PatriotsWin! said:

1. Mahones - Can't believe this is his first year, he already looks like the best QB in the NFL. Clear cut MVP at this point.

2. Brees - People talk about Brady still doing it at 41.... well Brees is only a year or so younger and not looking his age either. He could play just as long as Brady if not longer (if he wants to).

4. Brady - Had some stumbles earlier in the season with his lack of WRs but now that Edelman and Gordon are playing he's back to his normal self.

Honestly #3-#7 could include any of Ryan, Wilson, Cousins, and Goff. All playing great.

Second year.

3 hours ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Agreed.  Wentz, Cam, Luck, and Ben have all been very good as well.

Lets put something in perspective here.

# of QBs with a passer rating >90
2018: 23
2017: 15
2016: 17
2015: 19
2014: 16
2013: 11
2012: 10
2011: 10
2010: 13
2009: 12
2008: 9

We saw a spike in 2014, and now another spike beyond that now this year.

# of QBs with a passer rating >100
2018: 10
2017: 5
2016: 5
2015: 6
2014: 4
2013: 7
2012: 4
2011: 4
2010: 4
2009: 5
2008: 1

I've got to think, while yes, QB level of play is elevating, the rule changes this year are serving as a catalyst. I also think the general scheming is changing. There are fewer risky throw being schemed these days.  

9 minutes ago, Danger said:

Lets put something in perspective here.

# of QBs with a passer rating >90
2018: 23
2017: 15
2016: 17
2015: 19
2014: 16
2013: 11
2012: 10
2011: 10
2010: 13
2009: 12
2008: 9

We saw a spike in 2014, and now another spike beyond that now this year.

# of QBs with a passer rating >100
2018: 10
2017: 5
2016: 5
2015: 6
2014: 4
2013: 7
2012: 4
2011: 4
2010: 4
2009: 5
2008: 1

I've got to think, while yes, QB level of play is elevating, the rule changes this year are serving as a catalyst. I also think the general scheming is changing. There are fewer risky throw being schemed these days.  

That is definitely true. 

Offensive coaches now aren't stubborn old morons like the old school guys in that they actually are smart enough to bring "college" schemes into the NFL. 

Andy Reid, strange because he is part of that coaching tree with Gruden, Holmgren, etc, has been able to learn to be more open minded and Innovative with age.

Whereas Gruden uhh ....lol

And his QB (Mahomes) is a perfect example of what you mentioned in the bolded. ONE completion all season to a WR who had less than a yard of separation. ONE!!! But that was before yesterday so who knows, maybe it went up to two

A lot of it is scheme-related, yeah.  Some of the QBs, such as Carr and Eli, are having their passer rating inflated due to an absurdly high CMP% (especially relative to their ability).  So you've got guys like that at 90+ QB Rating even though they haven't played well, or in Eli's case flat-out sucked.  Osweiler, Tannehill, and Smith are included in those 23 QBs too and they haven't exactly lit it on fire this year.  According to some Steelers fan, neither has Ben.

However I think when you look at the names, it's just the perfect combination of the older guys still playing at a top level (Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Rivers, Ben if you want to throw him in there), the late 00s-early 10s guys playing at levels we've seen from them before and/or come to expect of them (Ryan, Wilson, Luck, Newton, Stafford, Cousins, Dalton), and some recent guys proving their worth (Wentz, Mahomes, Goff, Watson).

Personally, I think the position is just loaded at the top right now.  It isn't like we're seeing any QB performing well beyond what we would expect of them based off what they have proven in the past, sans Mahomes (but with Andy Reid at HC, them putting up #s isn't surprising).  So when you consider the talent at the position combined with the fact everyone is staying healthy, it isn't that surprising to see the numbers being put up.  It's led to great football, but I could easily see it leveling out next year or two depending on what Brady, Brees, Rivers, and Ben decide to do.  It won't be long until the veterans at the position as far as age goes are those late 00's-early 10s guys.

3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

A lot of it is scheme-related, yeah.  Some of the QBs, such as Carr and Eli, are having their passer rating inflated due to an absurdly high CMP% (especially relative to their ability).  So you've got guys like that at 90+ QB Rating even though they haven't played well, or in Eli's case flat-out sucked.  Osweiler, Tannehill, and Smith are included in those 23 QBs too and they haven't exactly lit it on fire this year.  According to some Steelers fan, neither has Ben.

However I think when you look at the names, it's just the perfect combination of the older guys still playing at a top level (Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Rivers, Ben if you want to throw him in there), the late 00s-early 10s guys playing at levels we've seen from them before and/or come to expect of them (Ryan, Wilson, Luck, Newton, Stafford, Cousins, Dalton), and some recent guys proving their worth (Wentz, Mahomes, Goff, Watson).

Personally, I think the position is just loaded at the top right now.  It isn't like we're seeing any QB performing well beyond what we would expect of them based off what they have proven in the past, sans Mahomes (but with Andy Reid at HC, them putting up #s isn't surprising).  So when you consider the talent at the position combined with the fact everyone is staying healthy, it isn't that surprising to see the numbers being put up.  It's led to great football, but I could easily see it leveling out next year or two depending on what Brady, Brees, Rivers, and Ben decide to do.  It won't be long until the veterans at the position as far as age goes are those late 00's-early 10s guys.

I don't see how his completion percentage is "inflated", especially seeing as the raiders are top 10 in drop percentage again. I'd love an explanation. Funny how people continue to find ways to discredit him. Put most of your quarterbacks on the current Raiders and tell me that they'll be good. Give Carr some time in this system. I'm already seeing growth.

17 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't see how his completion percentage is "inflated", especially seeing as the raiders are top 10 in drop percentage again. I'd love an explanation. Funny how people continue to find ways to discredit him. Put most of your quarterbacks on the current Raiders and tell me that they'll be good. Give Carr some time in this system. I'm already seeing growth.

its really simple, they arent pushing the ball downfield, almost literally at all. theyre throwing tons of shorter, easier to complete passes.

8 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

its really simple, they arent pushing the ball downfield, almost literally at all. theyre throwing tons of shorter, easier to complete passes.

So does Brady? Goff throws a lot underneath as well? It's part of modern NFL offenses. Throwing accurately in short to mid range means you're executing the offense. It's not like checkdown garbage time to the RB for 75% of the game. 

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

So does Brady? Goff throws a lot underneath as well? It's part of modern NFL offenses. Throwing accurately in short to mid range means you're executing the offense. It's not like checkdown garbage time to the RB for 75% of the game. 

you asked for the explanation, i gave it to you. others doing it doesnt change that the raiders are.

39 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

you asked for the explanation, i gave it to you. others doing it doesnt change that the raiders are.

My issue with his point is that he said inflation relative to ability, implying he's an inferior qb and his completion percentage somehow is not in line with that. I'm not denying many offenses have made completing passes easier on quarterbacks, only that it's not like he's been some special beneficiary of something that makes him look better than he actually is.

11 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

My issue with his point is that he said inflation relative to ability, implying he's an inferior qb and his completion percentage somehow is not in line with that. I'm not denying many offenses have made completing passes easier on quarterbacks, only that it's not like he's been some special beneficiary of something that makes him look better than he actually is.

Ability may have been the wrong word, but we can all agree Carr hasn’t played very well this year surely?  Whether it’s his fault or not.  He barely has a positive TD/INT ratio.  His CMP% is the main reason his QBR is above 90 was my point.  

I’m not saying he’s the only one who’s CMP% is inflated, and LIS I don’t think CMP% is a good stat anyway.  I’m just saying that it’s holding guys like him and Eli above 90 when they haven’t exactly performed that well.

Dalton is better across the board than Carr statistically (and clearly has been better through the eye test), but has a lower QB Rating strictly because of CMP%.  That’s just one example.  

On 10/29/2018 at 9:31 AM, BAConrad said:

That is definitely true. 

Offensive coaches now aren't stubborn old morons like the old school guys in that they actually are smart enough to bring "college" schemes into the NFL. 

Andy Reid, strange because he is part of that coaching tree with Gruden, Holmgren, etc, has been able to learn to be more open minded and Innovative with age.

Whereas Gruden uhh ....lol

And his QB (Mahomes) is a perfect example of what you mentioned in the bolded. ONE completion all season to a WR who had less than a yard of separation. ONE!!! But that was before yesterday so who knows, maybe it went up to two

That stat isn't true even before the last game. Watch some tape

Funny enough I've seen wide open receivers for years with Alex. He just couldn't either see it, or pull the trigger and hit it

Archived