Trade Deadline Thread

SmittyBacall

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If Brice Butler is the guy the Texans settle on to fill this gap, it's a failure on Brian Gaine's part. Rarely does a positional loss align with a trade request so nicely - and with a lead on the division, you have a big opportunity to keep that going with a rather minimal investment on a proven deep threats that would probably connect very well with Deshaun Watson. 

There is no issues with cap space, so the Texans could feasibility afford both Jackson and someone like Gareon Conley or Bradley Roby - and with $86mm cap space on tap for 2019, you could retain those guys, sign JD Clowney to a big deal and still have cash left over.

Unless the Bucs are expecting a 1st/2nd/3rd round pick, this is a no brainer.

Well, except the Bucs aren't going to move Desean Jackson -- doesn't seem to be the route they want to take after their presser.

Just now, Nick_gb said:

Well, except the Bucs aren't going to move Desean Jackson -- doesn't seem to be the route they want to take after their presser.

If that's the case, that's the case - but I think everyone downplays these things to get additional value out of a player. I mean, teams really don't advertise they're shopping someone in a presser, they actually do the opposite pretty frequently.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If that's the case, that's the case - but I think everyone downplays these things to get additional value out of a player. I mean, teams really don't advertise they're shopping someone in a presser, they actually do the opposite pretty frequently.

I mean, I'm not going to disagree with that by any means. You make a very valid point. However, there are times that it is true that they have no interest in trading that player and fans will still be up in arms if they don't acquire them. Just saying, I'd temper that expectation unless he's dealt to a team that isn't the Houston Texans. 

1 minute ago, Nick_gb said:

I mean, I'm not going to disagree with that by any means. You make a very valid point. However, there are times that it is true that they have no interest in trading that player and fans will still be up in arms if they don't acquire them. Just saying, I'd temper that expectation unless he's dealt to a team that isn't the Houston Texans. 

Oh no, I get that completely. I should mention that if he's not moved, it's a moot point - not a reflection on Gaine or the Texans FO. 

Likewise, if someone pulls off a Jerruh and gives up a 1 or 2 for Jackson, I'd probably shrug my shoulders on it as well. 

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Why are S so undervalued nowadays!? GB listening for Ha-Ha, Giants listening for Collins, Seattle and ET - this is nuts, why!?

It's GB's way - they're likely not getting the same type of compensation given how devalued S is, so seeing if they can make a profit by trading him now.    It's a reflection of their faith in the 2017-18 draft class, I'd imagine. But at 3-3-1, yeah, it's curious.

I mean, you'd think they'd be looking to trade away Monty...for a ham sandwich right now.   

Interesting thing I just heard - people are calling on Jadevion Clowney, and the Texans are saying he's not on the table. This being said, there are whispers that Whitney Mercilius might be had for the right price.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Interesting thing I just heard - people are calling on Jadevion Clowney, and the Texans are saying he's not on the table. This being said, there are whispers that Whitney Mercilius might be had for the right price.

Mercilus for Roby...make it happen.  We'll throw something else your way.  DT doesn't really fit the bill, but hey, if you want him too....

(Crazy point, we don't have any EDGES signed for 2019...except Von & Chubb.  Ray & Barrett are UDFA's, way too expensive for us to keep.  Why many of us are banging the drum to get UDFA Jeff Holland off the PS, because we can't really afford to lose him as our 3rd EDGE signed to the 2019 roster).  

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Uhhhhh yes please. His contract is very affordable

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Mercilus for Roby...make it happen.  We'll throw something else your way.  DT doesn't really fit the bill, but hey, if you want him too....

(Crazy point, we don't have any EDGES signed for 2019...except Von & Chubb.  Ray & Barrett are UDFA's, way too expensive for us to keep.  Why many of us are banging the drum to get UDFA Jeff Holland off the PS, because we can't really afford to lose him as our 3rd EDGE signed to the 2019 roster).  

I'd take DT - doesn't fit the bill completely, but would draw a lot of attention and could keep the top of the defense open for the underneath stuff.

4 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

It is, wondering why he's even up for discussion.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:
14 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

It is, wondering why he's even up for discussion.

Gotta wonder if that's just BS. Why would they trade him when they're on track to win the division and he's signed next year for cheap

1 minute ago, JBURGE said:

Gotta wonder if that's just BS. Why would they trade him when they're on track to win the division and he's signed next year for cheap

I think that's what it is, just Twitter banter at most.

Archived