Jets @ Bears Game Day Thread

WindyCity

Defense

-I think Vic finally started getting the DL rotation right, Hicks [70%], Goldman [60%], Nichols [30%], RRH [20%]. I felt like we saw a much fresher front unit than we did in previous games.

-Akiem Hicks is awesome. Not much more to add, other than the coaches need to keep him fresh. It is not on a 340lbs man to be in good enough shape to play all game long, that is impossible. It is on the coaches to make sure he gets strategic rest.

-I thought this was Eddie Goldman's best game. He was a 1 man wrecking crew against the run game that the Jets offense relies on. I would like to see more of those occasional pass rush flashes from him, especially considering the money he is getting now.

-Nichols continues to have some really impressive reps, but he needs more consistency in the run game. There are a couple of ugly run reps every game where he is getting blown out of the hole.

-RRH getting the pass rush going again would be a big help.

-Leonard Floyd had some nice rushes later in the game, but overall a very disappointing performance from him again. Where is the speed, the inside move, the spin that we have seen in the past? I was glad to see Vic sending the OLBs more and more. Enough of the coverage crap.

-Aaron Lynch is just a guy. Please ignore the excitement from earlier in the season.

-Good to see Isiah Irving getting some run, I am going to watch him on my 2nd time through the game. We need someone with a pulse to show up at OLB and why not him, he has the burst to at least threaten the edge.

-Vic finally played man coverage, and our ILBs finally looked good in coverage. Our ILBs are not good in zone coverage. Neither has a natural feel for it, but when they are in man both look really good running with TEs and backs.

-Roquan had a really nice game closing on the ball and covering the TEs of the Jets.

-Trevathan was solid. On the long 3rd down screen pass he was way too passive and allowed the OT to come out and block him, which was frustrating.

-Bryce Callahan, please pick up your bag of money at Ryan Pace's office. A must re-sign and arguably the 3rd best player on the defense this season.

-Kyle Fuller needs to catch the pick, I feel like I have said that before, he would be a Pro Bowl CB if he didn't have plays like that.

-Eddie Jackson is having a rough run. His Miami and New England tackling were horrendous and that penalty yesterday was idiotic. He needs to settle down and get his discipline back because he could be a star with his range and instincts.

-I am going to add special teams here. Cody Parkey got 9 million guaranteed, he needs to make that kick, that is the one Soldier Field kick I am going to forgive this season.

His vision and awareness continue to improve,  his arm is better than I thought.  I do not like all the QB runs and scampers.  The thing he needs to work on is his touch on passes.  

It was a nasty nasty day outside, wish they had now been trying so many deep and contested throws.  Pretty sure there was a Bear's coach on the sideline who ended up with as many targets as any receiver. 

Loved the Bears run D.

The Bears running offense is still kind of weird even though it was better.  The one consistent thing about Howards game the last couple years was that he needed to get in rhythm before he got hot in a game. He's either going to have to learn to get going faster or they're going to have to change their plays to suit him better.  

7 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

You could be right and I get your point, but these two injuries didn't seem the same to me. When Long went down, you could clearly see the pain in him at the time and the overall body language of other players reactions.

They weren't the same injuries but the way Michel went down withering in pain and hobbling off the field was similar in terms of looking bad when seeing what happened to Long yesterday.  Just my preference but I kind of like to know the facts before getting all in a panic over what may not be overly serious.

The truth is that Trubisky had a bad 5 throw run in the 2nd quarter of the game.

2nd Quarter

1. 10 yards to Bellamy, tight window throw.
2. Howard miss against all out blitz
3. Miller deep miss that has too much air for the conditions.

4. Cohen miss, looks like a throw away as he gets rocked
5. Miller miss, off by a foot on a far sideline throw, tough throw
6. Miss, this was the bad side arm throw between Burton and Gabriel

7. Gabriel, 1st down into the blitz.
8. Kevin White incompletion
9. Kevin White 22 yard completion into FG range [Long Penalty]
10. Gabriel incompletion, contested 3rd down throw, but ball was there.

Trubisky really had a bad 5 passes in a row and then was screwed by the Long penalty.

FootballOutsiders kind of confirms that with their rankings - the Bears' offensive line is doing an above-average job in run blocking but the backs aren't really taking advantage. I'm not sure if the issue is the scheme or some issue with Howard's running. He doesn't appear to have as much burst as in years past.

7 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

His vision and awareness continue to improve,  his arm is better than I thought.  I do not like all the QB runs and scampers.  The thing he needs to work on is his touch on passes.  

He desperately needs to improve on touch passes. Luckily, that's something that isn't that difficult to ramp up.

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

FootballOutsiders kind of confirms that with their rankings - the Bears' offensive line is doing an above-average job in run blocking but the backs aren't really taking advantage. I'm not sure if the issue is the scheme or some issue with Howard's running. He doesn't appear to have as much burst as in years past.

It's a new scheme. They're already getting better at it. Nobody should be freaking out, it's gonna be fine. 

9 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

For the Howard sucks vs Howard is fine but the OL sucks crowd: ESPN has the Bears in third in the NFL in terms of rushing yards before first contact at 3.3.

Well yeah, because those are team stats which make perfect sense. The majority of Cohen's touches are to the outside  and Mitch certainly isn't getting hit right away on broken plays or option plays. (FYI, it's easier to make a 200 pound corner or saftey miss on the outside than it is to run up the middle against 300+ lineman and 250lb linebackers)

23 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Defense

-I think Vic finally started getting the DL rotation right, Hicks [70%], Goldman [60%], Nichols [30%], RRH [20%]. I felt like we saw a much fresher front unit than we did in previous games.

-Akiem Hicks is awesome. Not much more to add, other than the coaches need to keep him fresh. It is not on a 340lbs man to be in good enough shape to play all game long, that is impossible. It is on the coaches to make sure he gets strategic rest.

-I thought this was Eddie Goldman's best game. He was a 1 man wrecking crew against the run game that the Jets offense relies on. I would like to see more of those occasional pass rush flashes from him, especially considering the money he is getting now.

-Nichols continues to have some really impressive reps, but he needs more consistency in the run game. There are a couple of ugly run reps every game where he is getting blown out of the hole.

-RRH getting the pass rush going again would be a big help.

-Leonard Floyd had some nice rushes later in the game, but overall a very disappointing performance from him again. Where is the speed, the inside move, the spin that we have seen in the past? I was glad to see Vic sending the OLBs more and more. Enough of the coverage crap.

-Aaron Lynch is just a guy. Please ignore the excitement from earlier in the season.

-Good to see Isiah Irving getting some run, I am going to watch him on my 2nd time through the game. We need someone with a pulse to show up at OLB and why not him, he has the burst to at least threaten the edge.

-Vic finally played man coverage, and our ILBs finally looked good in coverage. Our ILBs are not good in zone coverage. Neither has a natural feel for it, but when they are in man both look really good running with TEs and backs.

-Roquan had a really nice game closing on the ball and covering the TEs of the Jets.

-Trevathan was solid. On the long 3rd down screen pass he was way too passive and allowed the OT to come out and block him, which was frustrating.

-Bryce Callahan, please pick up your bag of money at Ryan Pace's office. A must re-sign and arguably the 3rd best player on the defense this season.

-Kyle Fuller needs to catch the pick, I feel like I have said that before, he would be a Pro Bowl CB if he didn't have plays like that.

-Eddie Jackson is having a rough run. His Miami and New England tackling were horrendous and that penalty yesterday was idiotic. He needs to settle down and get his discipline back because he could be a star with his range and instincts.

-I am going to add special teams here. Cody Parkey got 9 million guaranteed, he needs to make that kick, that is the one Soldier Field kick I am going to forgive this season.

I agree with this. I would add that young OLBs should have gotten some more reps with Mack out and Floyd/Lynch  playing average. They looked good in preseason and need the experience. Just give them a few plays here and there.  You don't develop just watching all the time.

Jackson has not been break out star I expected this season. I think it can still happen.  I did not expect RRH to be a star, but I expected more.  Can still happen too. Nichols obviously has been pleasant surprise. Callahan is playing better than expected too. 

I predict people will be surprised by how good Robinson is next season. 

42 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I predict people will be surprised by how good Robinson is next season. 

Agreed, takes a couple years to come back from a knee ligament tear unless you're a freak like AP.

3 hours ago, G08 said:

Agreed, takes a couple years to come back from a knee ligament tear unless you're a freak like AP.

Combo of injury recovery, new injuries, MT inexperience/inconsistent play and new offense and timing problems combine to make him look ordinary.  I think he can be so much better than what he is showing right now.

I think because he has been in league a long time people forget he is only 24 or so.  He hasn't even hit his prime yet.  He could be a 2nd year player or an old rookie like Ridley.

A lot of Bears players are going to, presumably, get bigger, stronger and faster next two years along with gaining experience.

Archived