2019 Free Agency Thread

Silver&Black88

He might be in play if we don't re-sign Hankins or cut Ellis. Plus he seems an upgrade (although he is allreayd 31 i think so the decline might have started).

But yeah, i'm fine with Hankins, Ellis, Hurst, Hall and vanderdoes as our interiour line so it would be kind of a luxury signing (weird thing to say with our pathetic roster :-) )

17 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Free agency should be a measured approach.` And most the "big names" will be franchised or re-signed as they are every year

Brandon Graham, Za'Darius Smith - 2 pass rushers. Graham would add vet leadership for the young Dline. Plays the run well and can get after the QB. Smith is the upside signing who can play in the rotation

Earl Thomas - Coming off injury, he'd fill the Charles Woodson role in the secondary. Be a leader and still has some left in the tank. 

Jon Brown - Deep threat target, vet to add opposite Jordy while drafting a couple young guys

This sets the draft up to take best pass rush option at #4. LB and skill at 24 and 27.

Good post BP, I'm also thinking along the same lines........

But I'd like a vet at the OT spot as I think Miller is raw but could be something but Parker is still a huge question mark. To me, if he's fit Penn would be the guy to bring back as we know what he is and he'd be reasonable value as a swing tackle so long as he hasn't totally fallen off a cliff.

Earl Thomas and Jon Brown I can totally agree with and the reasons behind them, I'd also look to add a WR end of 1st/2nd round maybe a guy like DK or Harry to compliment them.

I'm with you on Barr and feel he wouldn't be a better player or make more plays in our system, he's a good player but unless we see him as an edge rusher I think he won't have the value. We desperately need at least one edge guy, Flowers is my favourite as an all round DE but I can see us drafting a guy #4 and bringing in a guy like Smith or Graham too.

I wonder if we'll change tact on the FA class this year and try and get much younger, Gruden's always liked his vets but if we are re-building from the ground up that may not be a smart way to go now.

11 hours ago, Totty said:

Edge rushers.  McCoy would be a huge luxury signing at this point. 

Disagree. As a FA signing, he'd be a huge piece. Solid vet who could be huge on the Dline rotation.

I've said Q. Williams and Oliver would be luxury signings because it's a high draft pick investment, but a vet like McCoy is needed for leadership and to help the young guys. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Disagree. As a FA signing, he'd be a huge piece. Solid vet who could be huge on the Dline rotation.

I've said Q. Williams and Oliver would be luxury signings because it's a high draft pick investment, but a vet like McCoy is needed for leadership and to help the young guys. 

Agree. McCoy would be a great vet addition to help our interior DL play and also to help Hurst and Hall develope.

We have the cap space to do so(we would skip the Hankins signing or would let Jelly walk anyway), we have his former DL coach, we are a great scheme fit for him.

With his addition and our guys already on roster we can focus on DE only during the draft, rest of FA.

1 hour ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Are we in a year where we are forced to use a large percentage of our cap space? 

Not sure, but hope not. Terrible year for free agents. Outside Bell, the true franchise type talent will get tagged or resigned. 

Guys like Dee Ford are going to get way over paid in this class. 

20 minutes ago, Totty said:

Edge rushers.  McCoy would be a huge luxury signing at this point. 

Do we need edge rushers more? Yes.  Are we set at DT to the point that when a top 10 DT hits the market we can just ignore them?  Not even close.  I do not think any of us would be happy going into the season with Hurst, Hall, Ellis, Vanderdoes, and Wright.  At this point we could say 2 of them have the chance to be above average but none are currently above average.  I do not think our team is above average at any position.  We have holes all over the place and excel no where.  Every starter on this team should be looking over their shoulder.

12 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Do we need edge rushers more? Yes.  Are we set at DT to the point that when a top 10 DT hits the market we can just ignore them?  Not even close.  I do not think any of us would be happy going into the season with Hurst, Hall, Ellis, Vanderdoes, and Wright.  At this point we could say 2 of them have the chance to be above average but none are currently above average.  I do not think our team is above average at any position.  We have holes all over the place and excel no where.  Every starter on this team should be looking over their shoulder.

Agree with this. The roster suck and nobody is above replacing right now. I go back and forth on DT at pick #4 even. I don't think Hall's done enough to not seriously consider Q or Oliver if there. But it'd depend on who's on the board. 

A vet like McCoy would sure up the DT spot and open up option in the draft. 

15 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Agree with this. The roster suck and nobody is above replacing right now. I go back and forth on DT at pick #4 even. I don't think Hall's done enough to not seriously consider Q or Oliver if there. But it'd depend on who's on the board. 

A vet like McCoy would sure up the DT spot and open up option in the draft. 

With Murray/Haskins in the draft now I'd love to see us move down with Jacksonville or New York. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

With Murray/Haskins in the draft now I'd love to see us move down with Jacksonville or New York. 

That has been my mind set if Q, Bosa , and Allen are gone.  If one is there I do not think we can pass on any of the three.  Under those circumstances I would love to trade down and grab White, Williams, or Oliver.  I am not sure about Ferrell or Gary that early but the combine has been known to change my perspective a few times.

4 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Well he is not the player he used to be. Still above average, but top 10 DT don't think so. Wouldnt mind having him here, but really depending on the $. But TBH i don't see him coming, the guy has made big $ and i could see a big enough market for him that he can go to a contender in 2019.

14 minutes ago, Roninho said:

Well he is not the player he used to be. Still above average, but top 10 DT don't think so. Wouldnt mind having him here, but really depending on the $. But TBH i don't see him coming, the guy has made big $ and i could see a big enough market for him that he can go to a contender in 2019.

I agree that it always depends on the money but I see him as better than every other DT on our roster and therefore we should check him out if available.  My original point was that there are no luxury picks for us.  Just areas of greater need.

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

That has been my mind set if Q, Bosa , and Allen are gone.  If one is there I do not think we can pass on any of the three.  Under those circumstances I would love to trade down and grab White, Williams, or Oliver.  I am not sure about Ferrell or Gary that early but the combine has been known to change my perspective a few times.

My feelings precisely regarding trading down if those 3 aren't there. There is a group of about 5/6 players who then sit in a group behind them who I wouldn't be able to seperately at this stage so I'd be all over getting an extra pick and choosing whoever is left. At the moment, I would be happy with any of the other 5 guys you mention, possibly Greedy as well. The combine and senior bowl should start seperately so e of these guys.

10 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Don’t you think he’s in prime ring chase mode?

Archived