2019 Free Agency Thread

Silver&Black88

3 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Lol so much can happen between now and the draft he’s eligible in. Maybe he’s already hit his ceiling. Maybe he gets injured the next few years. You can’t project players this far out. 

Also on the flip side what happens if you trade Carr and he lights up the league. I’m not saying it’ll happen but look at how both Cooper and Mack have played well. As of now there is no real guy out there. 

Haskins Murray and Lock are all being pushed up by ththe lack of talent in the draft. Don’t let the offseason workouts fool you in taking a guy not as talented as the other positions. 

This is an inside joke with BigD and I

Carr is best Qb we've had since 2003. Let it sink in. Carr needs to be more aggressive yes but he limits turnovers and is productive. We've seen he is pretty clutch in 4th quarter. You guys acting like we got Blake bortles at qb. 

If we build a solid defense and get carr a running back who is better than doug martin, who is below average despite having a few nice games big wee. (Fools gold) we can go 9-7. We lost to 8 playoff teams. And we hung in a lot of games with no pass rush.. and trading away two most talented players.

27 minutes ago, roi34 said:

Carr is best Qb we've had since 2003. Let it sink in. Carr needs to be more aggressive yes but he limits turnovers and is productive. We've seen he is pretty clutch in 4th quarter. You guys acting like we got Blake bortles at qb. 

If we build a solid defense and get carr a running back who is better than doug martin, who is below average despite having a few nice games big wee. (Fools gold) we can go 9-7. We lost to 8 playoff teams. And we hung in a lot of games with no pass rush.. and trading away two most talented players.

First Carr has never been top 10 in yards and was ranked top 10 in TDs in 2016 and 2015.  Both years he was 7th.  That is not very productive.  It is average and above average at its best.  27th, 30th, 16th, 20th, and 27th are his QBR rankings so he is not very good in the fourth either.  You are thinking about his game winning drives but even then he almost never played smart enough to eat up the clock on those drives.  They always scored quickly and put it on Mack and the D's shoulders to stop the other team.  It drove me nuts that we never ran a 4 minute offense.  Carr can be an above average QB if you surround him with enough talent to elevate his play but it has not been the other way around so far.

I think there is not a QB in this year's class who is a sure bet over Carr short, medium or even long term. To me it doesn't really make sense to trade away Carr, especially after he showed real improvement during the season. If he could finish out the year strong, he would have had a pretty strong second half. I think we should take more seriously the fact that Gruden broke him down and built him up last offseason. He was super confused and looked uncomfortable in the first half of the season, but as the season went on he started to look good.

Let's give him a second offseason with the staff and let's not forget that he had only once the same OC/offense as a pro for back to back seasons and he looked like an MVP guy in that second year. Let's give him the chance to show what he can be in this Gruden scheme. His salary is not an issue for us right now and shouldn't be an issue if he starts to play well. 

Don't forget that this year's QB class is super weak. Before Herbert's decision it was a draft with no real 1/1 caliber QB and only Herbert and maybe Haskins worth a 1st round selection. Herbert returned, the draft season is getting closer and the media hype guys start to build up the other prospects. I guess the QB needy teams are even thankful for that, so come draft they they won't look that stupid for that QB pick of theirs.

To draft a guy, who could be as good as Carr makes no sense to me. We need all the draft capital to build up the roster. Makes no sense to break a rookie behind our OL, makes no sense to get a future QB behind Carr from a weak QB class. We should use that pick for a WR, a TE or other. We should give Carr the chance and if he fails to take the next step we will be in a solid position next year with 2 first rounders (one pretty high) and a stronger roster and a new OL coach (hopefully) to say all in on a rookie QB in a stronger class.

Trading Carr away after the Mack and Cooper moves would also kill the locker room totally IMO. If he struggles again then you can move on without any problem, but after a year like this, where he were beaten up, but step up tried hard to carry the team and it seeemed that the O at least fought hard for/with him and the OL/protection was an obvious issue, where his WR corp was an issue...I think Gruden can't make this move 

13 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Just because we aren't favored to make the playoffs next year with Carr is no reason to dump him just yet. Unless you're super down on him, we can win with him if we build around him and give him time in gruden's system. Trade him and you're looking at a 4-5 year rebuild instead of a 2 year one.

I agree except if he doesn’t progress then we’re stuck with him and his trade value becomes next to nothing and it’s still a 4-5 yr rebuild. If we’re gonna keep him just to have 6-7 win seasons I think we should just trade him now while his value is good. I lost a lot of confidence in him the last 2 years. He cleaned it up late in the season but his field vision is suspect imo. Seems like he needs a stacked team just to get into the playoffs.

If we do keep him I want a legit backup in the fold just in case. 

12 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

First Carr has never been top 10 in yards and was ranked top 10 in TDs in 2016 and 2015.  Both years he was 7th.  That is not very productive.  It is average and above average at its best.  27th, 30th, 16th, 20th, and 27th are his QBR rankings so he is not very good in the fourth either.  You are thinking about his game winning drives but even then he almost never played smart enough to eat up the clock on those drives.  They always scored quickly and put it on Mack and the D's shoulders to stop the other team.  It drove me nuts that we never ran a 4 minute offense.  Carr can be an above average QB if you surround him with enough talent to elevate his play but it has not been the other way around so far.

People completely lose sight of the fact hes had all defensive head coaches untul Gruden came and he has only had the same offense two years in a row one time which was his mvp type season. Top 10 is passing yards? Thats your counter argument? Blake bortles threw for alot of garbage yards in blowouts does that make him better? No. 

Carr would of surpassed 4000 yards in 16 as well but got hurt. Lets see how he plays going into his second year in same offense, after his highest completion percentage season with highest ypc. 

Carr will prob prove alot of you wrong this year. 

39 minutes ago, roi34 said:

Carr would of surpassed 4000 yards in 16 as well but got hurt. Lets see how he plays going into his second year in same offense, after his highest completion percentage season with highest ypc. 

Carr will prob prove alot of you wrong this year. 

I'm not a huge Carr fan but people also fail to mention that he had almost no help around him last season. We started two rookie OT that weren't ready to play, our interior OL took a dump, we had no running game, and we had no playmakers at WR. Not that many QB's are going to play well with Kolton Miller/Brandon Parker at OT, Jordy Nelson/Seth Roberts as your top two WR, and Doug Martin as your feature back.

6 hours ago, Rolni said:

I think there is not a QB in this year's class who is a sure bet over Carr short, medium or even long term. To me it doesn't really make sense to trade away Carr, especially after he showed real improvement during the season. If he could finish out the year strong, he would have had a pretty strong second half. I think we should take more seriously the fact that Gruden broke him down and built him up last offseason. He was super confused and looked uncomfortable in the first half of the season, but as the season went on he started to look good.

Let's give him a second offseason with the staff and let's not forget that he had only once the same OC/offense as a pro for back to back seasons and he looked like an MVP guy in that second year. Let's give him the chance to show what he can be in this Gruden scheme. His salary is not an issue for us right now and shouldn't be an issue if he starts to play well. 

Don't forget that this year's QB class is super weak. Before Herbert's decision it was a draft with no real 1/1 caliber QB and only Herbert and maybe Haskins worth a 1st round selection. Herbert returned, the draft season is getting closer and the media hype guys start to build up the other prospects. I guess the QB needy teams are even thankful for that, so come draft they they won't look that stupid for that QB pick of theirs.

To draft a guy, who could be as good as Carr makes no sense to me. We need all the draft capital to build up the roster. Makes no sense to break a rookie behind our OL, makes no sense to get a future QB behind Carr from a weak QB class. We should use that pick for a WR, a TE or other. We should give Carr the chance and if he fails to take the next step we will be in a solid position next year with 2 first rounders (one pretty high) and a stronger roster and a new OL coach (hopefully) to say all in on a rookie QB in a stronger class.

Trading Carr away after the Mack and Cooper moves would also kill the locker room totally IMO. If he struggles again then you can move on without any problem, but after a year like this, where he were beaten up, but step up tried hard to carry the team and it seeemed that the O at least fought hard for/with him and the OL/protection was an obvious issue, where his WR corp was an issue...I think Gruden can't make this move 

This is basically what the chiefs did. They built up the talent all over  the offense and then when there was a QB that could take them to the next level they traded up to get him. Young QBs by in large succeed because of their surrounding talent. Whether that’s on offense or defense no QB can carry a team to a championship. If Carr’s the guy in 2020 hooray keep building and go to a championship, if not trade up and draft the guy you want. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'm not a huge Carr fan but people also fail to mention that he had almost no help around him last season. We started two rookie OT that weren't ready to play, our interior OL took a dump, we had no running game, and we had no playmakers at WR. Not that many QB's are going to play well with Kolton Miller/Brandon Parker at OT, Jordy Nelson/Seth Roberts as your top two WR, and Doug Martin as your feature back.

Those details are detrimental to their argument, that's why they leave them out.

2 hours ago, Chali21 said:

This is basically what the chiefs did. They built up the talent all over  the offense and then when there was a QB that could take them to the next level they traded up to get him. Young QBs by in large succeed because of their surrounding talent. Whether that’s on offense or defense no QB can carry a team to a championship. If Carr’s the guy in 2020 hooray keep building and go to a championship, if not trade up and draft the guy you want. 

Exactly.

The Chiefs were a playoff team before Mahommes.  He didn't carry them through hard times until they improved.

In the end result, he put up better stats and a playoff win than Alex Smith. Only time will tell if he can do better.

20 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

This is an inside joke with BigD and I

Yes and the solution is simple. We ride Carr until the long haired tiger comes out. Then we trade Carr as a part of the package to acquire said tiger. Then we unleash said tiger on the NFL and we just sit back and watch the destruction!

Go Raiders

Go Tigers

Archived