Week 9 GDT: Titans at Cowboys

Titans fan 617

1 minute ago, ragevsuall17 said:

To be fair... that number has come back to the norm.  After the Bills game, our drop % was just under 10%... with only the Browns worse than us.  Some of us have held on to that narrative, but it's really improved, especially these past 2 weeks. 

Today was the first time you really saw the pass game clicking.  The guys were making nice contested catches... and MAriota was trusting them, leading them, making the throw before they broke... it's scary how in sync they looked. 

That throw to Jennings was just a thing of beauty. It's not like Jennings played any better or worse than normal outside of his one easy drop against Phili. it wasn't a special route or catch. For 95% of Jennings route he is covered and Mariota drops it perfectly in what is probably a 2-3 tenths of a second window that the ball can be completed.

I think most QBs have to be able to make a couple of those "wow" throws a game. Goff and Mahomes are the only two QBs I've seen this year who just have guys running wide open across the field. I'm not trying to take anything away from Mahomes, but I've watched several Chiefs games this year and they just have guys with no one near them on an insane amount of passes. I've never seen anything like it. 

Just now, TitanSS said:

That throw to Jennings was just a thing of beauty. It's not like Jennings played any better or worse than normal outside of his one easy drop against Phili. it wasn't a special route or catch. For 95% of Jennings route he is covered and Mariota drops it perfectly in what is probably a 2-3 tenths of a second window that the ball can be completed.

I think most QBs have to be able to make a couple of those "wow" throws a game. Goff and Mahomes are the only two QBs I've seen this year who just have guys running wide open across the field. I'm not trying to take anything away from Mahomes, but I've watched several Chiefs games this year and they just have guys with no one near them on an insane amount of passes. I've never seen anything like it. 

As Mariota gets more and more comfortable... also important to note this was the first game without the glove... he's going to make more of those throws.  And hopefully the receivers start making some wow catches for him as well on contested throws. 

I'm hopeful this passing game has turned the corner.  The play calling was better too... saw a lot of 11 personnel (hopefully we don't revert completely with Fowler getting into the plan soon).  Saw more of Henry and Lewis on the field together... been calling for that all season... Lewis in the slot is going to be fun... and we know Henry in space could be lethal (want to see more swing routes to him, give him a few yards to get started outside on 1-1 in the open field).

The play calling was better too... saw a lot of 11 personnel (hopefully we don't revert completely with Fowler getting into the plan soon).

ideally he'll just replace stocker. stocker's doing a ton of his work out of the backfield anyway

As far as the defense... man... I know the bend but don't break philosophy gets tired... but we're doing good... and without anything that stands out.

We're #1 in scoring (overall and per game)... 2nd in rushing TDs given up... 4th in passing TDs given... top 10 in yards per game given up...

But we're lower half (even lower third) in sacks, TOs, 3rd down %, etc.  As we improve that... turnovers especially (which is a staple of the bend/don't break style defenses), our defense stands to get better.

Ryan has been playing at an All-Pro level... Jackson still has his moments of WTF, but is a very good CB already... and Butler has no where to go but up... I was wrong about Vaccaro, he's been an upgrade over Cyp... and Byard is starting to come alive again. 

I've been on Jayon since last year... didn't think we needed to go ILB early because I thought he was ready to take on a bigger role... and he's been awesome so far. 

We're just really lacking in our pass rush... even with 4 sacks last night... most plays we just didn't have any push... but maybe that was the game plan... keep a spy or two on Dak... let him make a mistake... he's not very good.  That's definitely not going to work against Brady... hope they're ready for that challenge. 

I was wrong about Vaccaro, he's been an upgrade over Cyp

I admitted that earlier this season. I didn't think he could come in and just play well, especially after what he looked like in NO. I think he is playing a different role here, but he clearly excels in it.

He's only 27 and he hasn't looked like just an upgrade, but he's looked really good. I think he should easily be resigned here for 2-3 years as the clear-cut starter.

1 minute ago, TitanSlim said:

I said it in the GDT in General but I really, really hope LaFleur is here for a 2nd season.

Would be huge for Mariota and the offense.

unless our offense absolutely explodes the second half of the season, i doubt he’s getting hired away. we’re still near the bottom of the league offensively, this week notwithstanding.

12 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I mean they've moved him down to being the #3 CB in terms of snaps, so I think they've shown they're willing to punish him for his play. Maybe there is some truth to Sims just not being as good as we think he is.

I don't think he is... a lot of times we get caught up in perceived value, expectations, etc... Butler as a 60M man obviously has lofty expectations... and is not living up to those expectations currently.  Aside from the Hurns TD though, it's not like he played horrible, is out of position, being abused, etc. 

He's not going anywhere this year... and barring some crazy trade, he's not going anywhere next year.  He's played at a level (not too long ago) that Sims could never sniff... and I believe that he can bounce back... he's not too far gone.

Archived