Relationship Advice Thread

scar988

• 3 weeks later...

My partner and I have been together for 4 years now and bought a house together a year ago, and I'm still trying to figure out the best time/place to propose. At this point it is common knowledge that we are gonna get married, but I just want to do it right. Any fun ideas/tips? 

12 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

My partner and I have been together for 4 years now and bought a house together a year ago, and I'm still trying to figure out the best time/place to propose. At this point it is common knowledge that we are gonna get married, but I just want to do it right. Any fun ideas/tips? 

We were in a similar spot, had dated for 8ish years and everyone knew we were going to get married.  We picked the ring out together so it was hard to surprise her.

I proposed on a bridge at a park that we like to take hikes in.  I had a phone hidden recording the proposal and some friends on the other side of the bridge that took photos.  I told her we were going to grab a drink with those friends to celebrate and surprised her with both of our parents and a bunch of our friends.  We had an absolute blast and she really loved it.  I knew she didn't want anything crazy or over the top, but having her parents there made her so happy.

One other thing is she knew the proposal was coming so I scheduled nail appointments for her every two weeks so she knew her nails would look good in pictures whenever the proposal did happen haha

12 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

My wife and I lived together for a year with the idea being to see if we should get married, so yeah, proposal wasn't something that would shock the world for us either.  I was actually convinced that she knew it was coming because she referenced the ring I just bought, so in the moment, I did a "hey look over there" thing to make sure I surprised her.  She had not, in fact, known it was coming, and the ring comment was a joke.  Even when everything is obvious, it's usually a surprise in the actual moment IMO.

My first advice would be rehearse what to say.  I thought I'd be able to come up with something in the moment, but I had nothing.  She still gives me **** over it.

Also, girls don't want to be proposed to after long hikes.  Even if it's up a mountain to stand at the ruins of a medieval German castle overlooking the dang Rhine.  They want to look good in their pictures and whatnot.  Not sure if it's universal, but it's true for both my wife and her sister.  Both still said yes and all though, so I don't know if it's that big a deal.

Lastly, I worked with her best friend on getting the ring right, so it's good to have someone like that to bounce ideas off of, if there's a good friend of hers that you're close enough to to work with like that.

On 10/8/2023 at 8:26 PM, Heimdallr said:

what does she like, what really makes her happy?

skiing? being on a boat? wilderness hiking? where would she be the happiest and most serene and most lost in her own happiness that you springing the question would be even more memorable?

you can thank me later. i've guided several guys on this site through their early courtships and proposals, lol.