Relationship Advice Thread

scar988

If my ex boyfriend of 2 years suddenly breaks up with me and they claimed they were depressed and they won't go into another relationship for awhile but 3 months later they are married to some lady that you know both know personally (and the lady kept telling you to break up with said boyfriend) how likely was it that they were cheating on you? 

9 hours ago, NeptunePenguins said:

If my ex boyfriend of 2 years suddenly breaks up with me and they claimed they were depressed and they won't go into another relationship for awhile but 3 months later they are married to some lady that you know both know personally (and the lady kept telling you to break up with said boyfriend) how likely was it that they were cheating on you? 

Yeah. That doesn't sound good. It seems at the very least there were some emotional boundaries pushed. You'll never know the details, and the relationship is over, so no use in speculating about someone who doesn't care about you. Easier said than done, I know. It'll take time. I'd move one from both of them, though.

The good news is life goes on. This will just be another tough phase in life to get through, but you'll get through the other side. Keep your head up!

11 hours ago, NeptunePenguins said:

very likely. and as sad as you might feel, think about how you dodged a bullet by not getting more emotionally involved and then rejected later on.

• Like 2

Yea that feels fishy at best. I had a similar situation where my ex broke up with me and wound up getting back with and marrying the guy she told me not to worry about and that would never work...but hey I married someone I told her not to worry about so maybe it wasnt so fishy because I wasnt cheating either although my breakup was moreso because of timing

• Like 1

It sounds like it's either he was cheating or he's having some kind of mental breakdown.  I avoided doing divorces, because they're nightmares, but I swear, 9 out of 10 times, those people are married again before they do their court mandated mediations.

If he was super depressed, and especially if he was having any other mental health problems or a ton of stress, I could see him rushing into a marriage in a super short time, especially if he's not super young (like 20s to early 30s).  I see people do it all the time.

But if I had to guess, you lucked out and got rid of an unfaithful partner.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

What are some creative ways to ask someone to be your girlfriend, if you all are really into that?

I plan on asking this girl ive gone on 5 dates with real soon.  All 5 dates we have been on has been nothing short of amazing. 

Send her a text Will you be Mine, but put a pic of your penis for one of the I's

• Like 2

On 8/28/2023 at 1:21 PM, Texansfan713 said:

What are some creative ways to ask someone to be your girlfriend, if you all are really into that?

why do you feel the need for it to be "creative," as if it's some form of event?

i recognize it's special to you, as she is, i get that, but why not a simple and honest conversation about it? and what is it that you're really asking? that the two of you agree it to be exclusive?

i mean, that's not groundbreaking, and i'm not trying to lessen its significance as the two of you grow closer, but let's keep things in perspective, i'd say.

• Like 4

On 8/28/2023 at 4:21 PM, Texansfan713 said:

I plan on asking this girl ive gone on 5 dates with real soon.  All 5 dates we have been on has been nothing short of amazing. 

I’d just tell her that you have an amazing time with her and you’d like to make your relationship official and exclusive and get her thoughts as well. But that’s just me.

• Like 6

On 8/28/2023 at 3:21 PM, Texansfan713 said:

I just told her how I felt and how I wanted her in my life. She told me she felt the same. 

Sometimes… the simple moments are the ones we remember the most.

• Like 3

On 7/20/2023 at 8:49 PM, NeptunePenguins said:

I’d say it’s likely, but not some slam dunk - some people can’t be alone with their thoughts (think Jennifer Lopez) and need someone in their life. Those same people will also interpret a rebound relationship as “the one” and rush into a very bad decision. I’d surmise the personal lady friend had nefarious intentions to begin with and was trying to “be a friend” on both sides so their conscience was clean while manipulating both sides to get what they ultimately wanted.

My first ever relationship sort of ended this way; She and I would get into a pattern of break up/make up every other month or so. It was routine - we’d nitpick into a huge fight, break up, make up, rinse and repeat. She had a guy friend who I sort of had a bad feeling about from the beginning, but was assuredly was nothing (I was friends with his cousins, but not him directly - she was friends with him). I knew after every fight he was the “shoulder to cry on” for her. I’m fairly certain they did do a few things on the side - and sure enough, after like the 7th time of our cycle of breakup/makeup, she said she was dating him now; It didn’t shock me at all. In fact, it was more or less of a relief for me. It hurt, sure - but I turned that hurt into a positive, changed up a lot of what I needed to work on. That was some 20 years ago, so I’ve continued that change; But that was sort of the foundation to what I’ve become now (and if I’m being honest, I actually like myself - flaws and all).

Either way - cheating on you or insecure and alone with a Rasputin pulling the strings - you’re coming out as the winner on this one. 

On 8/29/2023 at 11:23 PM, vike daddy said:

why do you feel the need for it to be "creative," as if it's some form of event?

i recognize it's special to you, as she is, i get that, but why not a simple and honest conversation about it? and what is it that you're really asking? that the two of you agree it to be exclusive?

i mean, that's not groundbreaking, and i'm not trying to lessen its significance as the two of you grow closer, but let's keep things in perspective, i'd say.

Agreed here. I would just have the standard “what are we conversation.” 5 dates is quite a few to not have a label on things.

Just tell her you think she’s great, you think you can see a future (or however you see girlfriend status) with her, and you want to be in a committed relationship.

If I had to bet, unless you both are like 20, a girl going on 5 dates with you wants to be more than a hookup.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2023 at 4:21 PM, Texansfan713 said:

Let her rock your letterman jacket. She'll get the hint. 

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 2