San Antonio attempting to land NFL team

DigInBoys

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

If any other city gets an NFL team I'd like to see St. Louis get it back.  Those fans deserve a team

I agree to this 100%. St Louis first - then look into San Antonio, Portland, Toronto, Mexico City, etc.

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Don't see a point of an NFL team in San Antonio.  Aren't most fans in this region either Cowboys or Texans fans anyway?

If any other city gets an NFL team I'd like to see St. Louis get it back.  Those fans deserve a team.

Weren't most Minnesotans Packers fans before the NFL expanded to Minnesota?  That's not a good argument.  And St. Louis doesn't deserve a team, they've failed twice now.  

On 2018-11-04 at 11:48 AM, MonserinNC said:

I currently live in Austin and the San Antonio/Austin market is close to the size of Chicago (where Im from). I would love a football team here. The NFL sells out no matter where it is though so Im not sure who would relocate. Like I would say Jaguars but even they are doing fine 

Y'all don't need a football team. I know Texas doesn't care about basketball but go root for the Spurs 😂

On 2018-11-04 at 1:13 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

Astonishing the Raiders never ended up moving to LA. It made too much sense.

It really didn't. Las Vegas and LA needed teams. LA wanted a former team in either Rams or Raiders. NFL got best of both worlds. Put the Rams in LA and get Raiders in Vegas. Raiders fans in LA can still travel to Vegas and Raiders are perfect fit for Vegas. Vegas is known as sin city and Raiders are known to be the team full of sinners. 

Best of both worlds 

7 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Don't see a point of an NFL team in San Antonio.  Aren't most fans in this region either Cowboys or Texans fans anyway?

If any other city gets an NFL team I'd like to see St. Louis get it back.  Those fans deserve a team.

No they don't. They only cared about the Rams during GSOT days, after that they had horrendous attendance. Let them enjoy baseball, that's all they care about 😂

21 hours ago, swede700 said:

Weren't most Minnesotans Packers fans before the NFL expanded to Minnesota?  That's not a good argument.  And St. Louis doesn't deserve a team, they've failed twice now.  

Exactly. Same reason no team should ever go back to Oakland after the Raiders leave "again".

Only problem I have with San Antonio is, does Texas really need/deserve 3 teams? Surely there are other options "State side"?

Do they have the media market for a team there? I'm trying to think of anything I've heard or read that distinguishes San Antonio in recent history, and all I can remember is that they have the Spurs and Shawn Michaels was billed from there. (He main-evented the '97 Royal Rumble; they tried to sell out the Alamodome and didn't quite make it.)

I don't think Texas needs a third team anyway. Then again I didn't think California needed any more teams either, and the Chargers and Rams are both managing ... though just barely in the case of the Chargers, and the Rams play in a stadium so large they have no hope of selling it out unless some actual angels come down from heaven to play them.

The NFL originally wanted both conferences represented in both "regions" of California

NFC/AFC in Northern California and NFC/AFC in Southern California per Jim Steeg a former League official

Raiders / 49ers in NoCal was a workable plan

Rams / Chargers in SoCal was a workable plan. The League didn't care if Chargers were in LA or SD, just so long as the AFC was represented in the region
The NFL owners did NOT want Raiders in their premiere LA market because they didn't want a stadium filled with "those" people in their flagship home on the west coast and the Davis family didn't have the cashish to build the Palace that Kroenke did. They also didn't want (2) AFC teams sharing SoCal, so the Spanos/Davis alliance never had a chance

On 11/6/2018 at 8:18 PM, Activated10 said:

Y'all don't need a football team. I know Texas doesn't care about basketball but go root for the Spurs 😂

Huh? Don't care about basketball? How did you come up with that?

On 11/7/2018 at 1:24 PM, Nabbs4u said:

Only problem I have with San Antonio is, does Texas really need/deserve 3 teams? Surely there are other options "State side"?

@Matts4313 - take a gander at this. xD

They make movies/TV shows about our High School football programs. Chances are at least 10% of your roster is made up of guys who started their careers in Texas. Significant presence in the CFB scene with Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, UH, UTSA, UTEP, etc.

From Friday Night Lights to Sunday Night Football, Texas IS football country. Don't forget that.

Archived