Trubisky vs Watson, long term

Activated10

Trubisky vs Watson  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Trubisky or Watson, which QB you take for next decade

• Mitchell Trubisky
    • Deshaun Watson

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

How has he not been heavily relied on? Jordan Howard is slow and bad and besides Trubisky, their run game as a whole has been horrendous.

I never said he wasn't relied on. He's still a quarterback, he still plays the leagues most valued position. I said he's in a position where he's not relied on too heavily, and considering the circumstances he finds himself in I'd say that's very true. He's in a very nice situation right now. He's got a good offensive line in front of him, some nice weapons, a creative coordinator, and the leagues best defense to back him up. He's not in a situation where he needs to put the team on his back and throw 40 times a week, nor do I think he would excel in said scenario. The New England game really sticks out for me. I don't like what he offers in the event he would have to make risk adverse throws more consistently.

On 11/16/2018 at 9:08 AM, Pool said:

You've been one of, if not the biggest Mitch detractors on here. Saying all sorts of bold statements about how bad he is etc. And now that you've been asked to back it up your "too busy". How convenient. 

By the way, I'm still more confident in Watson's game moving forward. Though I'll admit it's closer now than it was at the start of the year. What would you like to know? How can I back it up for you?

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

By the way, I'm still more confident in Watson's game moving forward. Though I'll admit it's closer now than it was at the start of the year. What would you like to know? How can I back it up for you?

You can go ahead and answer @JustAnotherFan's original question. You know the one I'm talking about.

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I never said he wasn't relied on. He's still a quarterback, he still plays the leagues most valued position. I said he's in a position where he's not relied on too heavily, and considering the circumstances he finds himself in I'd say that's very true. He's in a very nice situation right now. He's got a good offensive line in front of him, some nice weapons, a creative coordinator, and the leagues best defense to back him up. He's not in a situation where he needs to put the team on his back and throw 40 times a week, nor do I think he would excel in said scenario. The New England game really sticks out for me. I don't like what he offers in the event he would have to make risk adverse throws more consistently.

I don't like any quarterbacks' chances when they are consistently making risk adverse throws. He scored 31 points against New England and came a yard short from 38. If it wasn't for the Bears special teams, they probably win the game and then the narrative is different, but since Trubisky messed up that assignment on the blocked punt for TD, they lost. :(

On 11/8/2018 at 12:20 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

@SmittyBacall 

Since you two have such strong opinions on this and the comparison is not even close, I assume you have watched both QB's closely. 

So in detail, what are both QB's strengths and weakness? What does one offer that the other does not?  

@Pool

I'm not going to bullet point strengths and weaknesses, but what I see when I watch them and how I think it will translate to their success. But let me preface it with this, from what I've seen recently he's improving on the aspects I don't like. Why? I'm not sure. Maybe he's more comfortable with the offense now than he was several weeks ago, maybe he's adapting more to the speed of the NFL. Maybe both. Will he keep improving? Possibly. Let's hope so. I will try to keep it concise. Critique me as you like I am not saying this is gospel. It's only what I see.

Overall, my biggest gripe with Trubisky as a QB is his panicked demeanor under duress. Under duress meaning against stiff competition, in the redzone, and on critical third downs. He gets rattled and falls victim to ghost pressure pretty easily when it matters and it affects him greatly as a pocket passer. He tends to dip his head prematurely or make erratic throws. He consistently, from what I've seen, makes questionable decisions and ugly throws when challenged or in dire situations (RZ, 3rd down, close games). It's an ugly trait that trickles down to every aspect of his game (accuracy, ball placement, footwork, decision making). It appears as though he has a Jekyll and Hyde duality going on right now. Against lesser competition, with clean pockets and poor coverage (see TB), he does everything you ask. But in critical scenarios he leaves a lot to be desired. He's incredibly inconsistent there. He's obviously great with his legs and they've been a huge part of his game thus far.

Nagy has done an excellent job implementing a lot of RPOs, misdirection and rollouts to play him to his strengths. I still have my reservations about him as a passer and I am not thoroughly convinced either way at this point. I will say this though, he's looked better than he has since I made the initial "Mitchell Trubisky's Future" thread after a game where he looked absolutely abysmal. And I'm talking downright bad. Things are moving in the right direction for now though. He's still young, and still inexperienced. So there's hope for some exponential improvement. And if you're a Bears fan I guess that's all you can ask for.

I will comment on Watson later.  

34 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I don't like any quarterbacks' chances when they are consistently making risk adverse throws. He scored 31 points against New England and came a yard short from 38. If it wasn't for the Bears special teams, they probably win the game and then the narrative is different, but since Trubisky messed up that assignment on the blocked punt for TD, they lost. :(

I think I recall NE dropping two blatant INTs in two separate redzone opportunities for Chicago. If you're going to play the 'what if' game it needs to go both ways. 

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

It's relevant because you've now admitted to watching Trubisky for one game

Where did I say that?

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

you happened to pick the game against a defensive mind that historically and notoriously kicks young QBs' *****.

I wasn’t aware that was a thing. Could you provide some names and dates? Again, not sure what Belichick has to do with anything.

Archived